Bourbon Drinkers Unite!

anacostiakat

i have posted this before but as many members enjoy the woodford reserve, here it is again. i actually had a bottle from the very first batch of this a few years ago - not sure why i ended up with it - but it was a stunning spirit. i have bought numerous follow up bottles over the years (suspect it has been out about a decade?) and not only have none matched that first release but to me, the quality is diminishing each time. tried another the other day - batch 84 - and i found it quite ordinary indeed. a shame.

anyone else seeing this? i can only assume that perhaps its popularity has meant it is being pushed through before it ever gets to the levels of the early stuff.

Can't comment on the Woodford reserve I'm afraid, but it's interesting you note the decrease in quality of a special release. I've heard this a few times (with all sorts of spirits) that when a good batch comes up, they market it as a special release. However, once that particular vintage has run out distilleries will continue to release it year after year, purely to cash in.

So in effect, most special releases are of superior quality upon their release, and then experience decreasing / sporadic quailty thereafter. Have you found that to be the case?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't comment on the Woodford reserve I'm afraid, but it's interesting you note the decrease in quality of a special release. I've heard this a few times (with all sorts of spirits) that when a good batch comes up, they market it as a special release. However, once that particular vintage has run out distilleries will continue to release it year after year, purely to cash in.

So in effect, most special releases are of superior quality upon their release, and then experience decreasing / sporadic quailty thereafter. Have you found that to be the case?

can't comment on other bourbons - don't drink enough of them - but certainly i found it with this one.

Bourbon has a strong association with the state of Kentucky. Actually some statistics quote that 95% of the world's bourbon is still distilled in Kentucky. It is said that Jacob Spears a distiller in Bourbon County, KY was the first to label his spirits bourbon whiskey. This story may, or may not be true, the the myth/legend has carried on. There is nothing special about the soil or climate in Kentucky, but only sour mash whiskey from Kentucky can be labeled Bourbon. Similar to how only sparkling wine from the Champagne region of France can be labeled Champagne. You will notice that while Jack Daniels is a sour mash whiskey, just like bourbon, it is not labeled as such. The reason is becasue it is distilled in Tennessee and not Kentucky. Actually, there is no longer any distilleries actually in Bourbon County, KY. Go figure.

Elijah craig for me! Awesome burnt oak flavours compliments a cigar nicely. Can't go wrong with the price and alc/vol ;)

woodford, as mentioned by ken and others, is great as well but pushing up to $75 starting to get out of this poor students price range

• 2 weeks later...

At this point I have:

OPEN

Woodford (Go to drink)

Winkle 10 year 90 proof

Winkle 15 year

Ancient Ancient Age (best $18 bottle around)

BUNKER

Winkle 20 year

George T Stagg 2008

WISH

4 Roses Mariage

thechenmen - Bourbon can be made anywhere in the USA and must be at least 51% corn in grain composition, must be below a certain proof, and must be aged in charred oak. There are a few other "musts" that I can't remember but being made in Kentucky isn't one of them.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep my eye out for the Noah, and will try some of the Booker's I have with a cube of ice and a splash of water. I've tried ice with some of my scotches, but never added water. I always figured I'd get plenty of water as the ice melted. Buffalo Trace is something that I will have to search harder for. Hearing a lot of good things about this Bourbon. Is Buffalo Trace small batch, or large production?

Chenman -- if memory serves you're in the NYC area, correct? If so, you can find Buffalo Trace at Astor Wines in Manhattan. They have a great selection of bourbon and rye. Too great, I might say, since I find myself buying lots and lots of bourbon from them.

i have posted this before but as many members enjoy the woodford reserve, here it is again. i actually had a bottle from the very first batch of this a few years ago - not sure why i ended up with it - but it was a stunning spirit. i have bought numerous follow up bottles over the years (suspect it has been out about a decade?) and not only have none matched that first release but to me, the quality is diminishing each time. tried another the other day - batch 84 - and i found it quite ordinary indeed. a shame.

anyone else seeing this? i can only assume that perhaps its popularity has meant it is being pushed through before it ever gets to the levels of the early stuff.

No doubt Ken. I bought and greedily drank it up. I think it was 1991 and my batch was from barrel #3 bottle 8. I also purchased subsequent years and they just didn't stand up to the original release.