Sit-Down with CigarDawg

Well, I just got back home from a very pleasant evening spent with CigarDawg and his lovely Wife! Yep, I said that right, Scot and Carolyn were on vacation from Va, and traveling around down the east coast and ended up staying in Orlando for a couple of days. He had sent me a message that he would love to get together for a cigar or two one evening while he was in the neighborhood. They just got hitched this past Saturday, and have not been able to tell anyone that they all of a sudden decided last Sat Night to get Married while on Vacation! Charlottesville Va is going to be very surprised when they return home to the News, but I thought I would be the one to share the "Breaking News" right here at FOH!

We decided to get together in a Historic part of Florida and one that had deep roots in the Cigar Industry, so we met up at "King Corona" in Ybor City right outside of Tampa. For those of you that are from Down-under, Ybor City "Was" the Cigar Capital of the USA from just after the turn of the century (early 1900's) and remained that way for many years (nearly 50 years). Sitting outside smoking a fine cigar, I met up with them after work, and one thing that continues to simply amaze me each and every time it happens, even-though we had never met before in person, It felt like we knew each other for 100's of years because of the connection we had trough this wonderful cigar forum! We quickly traded a few cigars around, and sat and enjoyed our cigars and beverages for a few minutes and then because all of us were starving, I suggested that we go over to the "Columbia", which is another Historical Landmark in Ybor City because it is known as being in business as a fine restaurant since 1905, over a 100 years of the best Cuban Food known around an area filled with Cuban food! A few Mojitos, and delicious food where the portions could feed an Army covered our table! Simply exciting, informative and inspirational conversation abounded our table. I actually think we waddled out as we were filled to the brim!

Time for another cigar!

We wondered down the street toward King Corona again and observed all the nightlife that had begun to come alive! Ybor City is certainly a "Night Life" City! Some interesting choice of ladies clothing as they were lined up to go into the assorted Night Clubs! Eye Candy galore! So, when we returned to our chosen spot for another cigar, we decided to try one that Scot had never sampled before, an aged RASS! Scot had mentioned that he enjoyed the RASS before, but had never smoked any with age, so I handed him a 5 year old 2001 RASS. The Sweet fruity flavors combined with the nuts, almost almonds, and burnt sugar and floral notes filled each of our palates! He made a comment that the box of RASS he had tucked away back home was going deeper in the back of his humidor to let them develop into what they surly will with time, and that there is a night and day difference between a young RASS and an aged RASS!

All I can say, is that tonight was a lovely evening, smoking great cigars with great people. If you ever have an opportunity to get together with someone from this or for that mater any other cigar board, you owe it to yourself to make every effort you can to make it happen! Scot and Carolyn, I look forward to the next time we can all get together and share the love of the leaf again!

Thanks, Chuck for a wonderful write-up of your visit with CigarDawg. Sounds like you had a great time.

And congratulations to Scot and his wife Carolyn on their marriage! May it survive the years and all the habanos! Viva Scot! Viva Carolyn!

Lovely post Tampa and congratulations to Scott and Carolyn!

If at any time you need marital advice....rest assured....there is no better place than FOH ;-)

Tampa, I love King Corona and the Columbia restaurant. I lived at both places for a week during the Tampa RTDA. I remember the eye candy well :love:

I look forward to catching up on your turf for a few days of minor misdemeanors. You raised a great point. Almost without exception.....Cigar People are Good People :ok:

about 7 years ago I spent two weeks with a friend who was studying at the University of Tampa, just down the road from Ybor. It was before my love of cigars, however we had some great nights out in this 'old' part of Tampa, some great bars and nightclubs and I think we had huge nights at most of them. For other aussie's think of 'the rocks' in sydney but with more of a spanish influence and you have Ybor...great place and would love to go back some day!

» Well, I just got back home from a very pleasant evening spent with

» CigarDawg and his lovely Wife! Yep, I said that right, Scot and Carolyn

» were on vacation from Va, and traveling around down the east coast and

» ended up staying in Orlando for a couple of days. He had sent me a

» message that he would love to get together for a cigar or two one evening

» while he was in the neighborhood. They just got hitched this past

» Saturday, and have not been able to tell anyone that they all of a sudden

» decided last Sat Night to get Married while on Vacation! Charlottesville

» Va is going to be very surprised when they return home to the News, but I

» thought I would be the one to share the "Breaking News" right here at

» FOH!

»

» We decided to get together in a Historic part of Florida and one that had

» deep roots in the Cigar Industry, so we met up at "King Corona" in Ybor

» City right outside of Tampa. For those of you that are from Down-under,

» Ybor City "Was" the Cigar Capital of the USA from just after the turn of

» the century (early 1900's) and remained that way for many years (nearly 50

» years). Sitting outside smoking a fine cigar, I met up with them after

» work, and one thing that continues to simply amaze me each and every time

» it happens, even-though we had never met before in person, It felt like we

» knew each other for 100's of years because of the connection we had trough

» this wonderful cigar forum! We quickly traded a few cigars around, and sat

» and enjoyed our cigars and beverages for a few minutes and then because all

» of us were starving, I suggested that we go over to the "Columbia", which

» is another Historical Landmark in Ybor City because it is known as being

» in business as a fine restaurant since 1905, over a 100 years of the best

» Cuban Food known around an area filled with Cuban food! A few Mojitos, and

» delicious food where the portions could feed an Army covered our table!

» Simply exciting, informative and inspirational conversation abounded our

» table. I actually think we waddled out as we were filled to the brim!

»

» Time for another cigar!

»

» We wondered down the street toward King Corona again and observed all the

» nightlife that had begun to come alive! Ybor City is certainly a "Night

» Life" City! Some interesting choice of ladies clothing as they were lined

» up to go into the assorted Night Clubs! Eye Candy galore! So, when we

» returned to our chosen spot for another cigar, we decided to try one that

» Scot had never sampled before, an aged RASS! Scot had mentioned that he

» enjoyed the RASS before, but had never smoked any with age, so I handed

» him a 5 year old 2001 RASS. The Sweet fruity flavors combined with the

» nuts, almost almonds, and burnt sugar and floral notes filled each of our

» palates! He made a comment that the box of RASS he had tucked away back

» home was going deeper in the back of his humidor to let them develop into

» what they surly will with time, and that there is a night and day

» difference between a young RASS and an aged RASS!

»

» All I can say, is that tonight was a lovely evening, smoking great cigars

» with great people. If you ever have an opportunity to get together with

» someone from this or for that mater any other cigar board, you owe it to

» yourself to make every effort you can to make it happen! Scot and Carolyn,

» I look forward to the next time we can all get together and share the love

» of the leaf again!

Wow! Not much that I can add to that. It truly was a fantastic evening. Great cigars, great food, great friends. I continue to be amazed at the quality of people that these rolled cylinders of tobacco lead me to find. Chuck, thank you for coming out to meet us. Thank you also for the RASS...a truly sublime experience.

To everyone, thank you for the well wishes. I'll be sure to turn to FoH for marital advice...like which cigar to buy next to keep her happy.;-)

Congrats to you and your new bride, Scot.

Tampa, great post. Whenever and wherever I travel, I try to meet up with members from various cigar boards and every occasion have been memorable. Hopefully, I'll make it down to Orlando one day.

• 4 weeks later...