COHIBA PANETELAS

vitola: Laguito No.3

ring: 26

length: 4.5 inches

source: Cigar Czar (SVF AG005)

Date of review: June 7, 2006

CONSTRUCTION

Rock solid construction. Firm with a bit of spring. No veining. Dark brown rustic wrapper. As with most Cohiba’s, construction was first rate.

PRE-LIGHT & DRAW

Firm draw which I attributed to its very small ring gauge. Clipped cleanly. Not much flavor to speak of when I drew on the cigar.

FIRST THIRD

The first flavor that hit my tongue was that of toasted nuts. The flavor was so rich and heavy on my tongue that I thought someone had given me a spoonful of exotic peanut butter! The taste just coated my entire mouth. Not much in the way of smoke as I sipped this cigar so as not to overheat it. The ash was light gray (almost white) with black flecks.

SECOND THIRD

Somewhere along the line the flavor profile changed from toasted nuts to that trademark Cohiba Grass. The grassy flavor did not overwelm but was definitely present.

FINAL THIRD

The flavor once again changed and this time the Cohiba Grass morphed into a rich, dark, fresh roasted coffee. No cream or vanilla bean, just pure coffee. The Cohiba Panetela provided me with 50 minutes of enjoyable smoking pleasure.

FINAL THOUGHTS

A nice little cigar with a complex profile. Concentration is not needed as the flavors are very distinct. The tastes of toasted nuts (exotic peanut butter?), Cohiba grass and coffee were a pleasant way to start my morning. This is a fine cigar for when time is short and you are in need of a quick fix. While it is a bit pricey, I would recommend keeping some of these in the humidor. Consider this cigar as one to fill in the “in betweens” of your day.

RATING: 85

» Great Review!

»

» Such a shame that the price point is outrageous when compared to the Siglo

» 1/Exquisitos.

»

» This is a classic Sunday Morning Espresso cigar.

Great review. The boxes I've had have all been plugged. I stick with the Exquistos and Siglo I. If I need a real small smoke, a Party chico hits the spot lovely.

» Great Review!

»

» Such a shame that the price point is outrageous when compared to the Siglo

» 1/Exquisitos.

»

» This is a classic Sunday Morning Espresso cigar.

Very nice review. As Rob has said this is one of Havan's worst price performance cigars. I tend to reach for the Cohiba CE for that Sunday morning coffee