How do you pronounce....

Erol

This is going to be an absurd message, however I've just discovered this drink and don't want to be a dumbass at the bar when asking for this drink.

How do you pronounce "Chivas Regal"?

Kie-vas Ree-gahl?

Shee-vas Ree-gahl?

Shee-vas Reh-gul?

Kie-vas Reh-gul?

I'm lost. :-|

One more question.

If i ask for a drink, like so: "I'll have Chivas Regal 12 year, neat", will I get a rock glass of scotch with no ice? If not whats the lingo to get that, lol.

My apologies for the seemingly juvenile questions, i'm only 22 turning 23 and slowly moving away from beers, though I'll never abandon them!

thanks in advance!:-)

»

» If i ask for a drink, like so: "I'll have Chivas Regal 12 year, neat",

» will I get a rock glass of scotch with no ice?

Yes, in America, that's what you would get.

Don't worry about sounding sophisticated. All the server cares about is getting a tip. If they aren't sure what you want they will ask.

It isn't rocket science, you'll be fine.

How do you pronounce "Chivas Regal"?

»

I've always heard "shihvahs" with the stress on the first syllable. Regal is pronounced like the adjective describing a monarch or king.»

» One more question.

»

» If i ask for a drink, like so: "I'll have Chivas Regal 12 year, neat",

» will I get a rock glass of scotch with no ice? If not whats the lingo to

» get that, lol.

»

"Neat" should get you what you want, a rocks glass, or "double old fashion" aka DOF of scotch with nothing else in the glass. Of course, without any ice or water, it will probably only be about 2 centimeters deep.

If you really want to knock your scotch socks off, try a Lagavulin. It's a 16 year, single malt from the island of Islay, off the coast of Scotland, pronounced "Eyelah". Lagavulin is pronounced as follows. First two syllables sounds like the way the queen of England would pronounce lager..."lahgah" stress 1st syllable. I'm guessing she never has done. The last two syllables sound like "voolynn", again the stress is on the first syllable. It's a very smokey, scotch, as are all the selections from Islay, well paired with a cigar, a good compement of one another.

If you are going to drink your scotch neat, I suggest trying just a "splash" of water in there to open up the flavours. Many head distillers of the great distilleries advocate this method. Cheers!!!

Just do it the Brisbane boggan way:

Point to the bottle and say "give me that there fancy whiskey and I dont want nuttin else in the cup!!!!!"

Then again I asked for a whiskey neat the other day and the waitress looked at me and said "Is that with Soda Water?"

Chivas Regal (Shiv-as Ree-Gal)

Ross...

Guest mr. snappy

Funny, but I had the same reaction as Porsche before I even read down.

Your order should be "Lagavulin, neat". The 16 year is awesome (very peaty and smoky, so not for everyone). Oddly, the 12 year old is a little smoother, sweeter, and stronger - and equally good.

I think it's pronounced "Log-a-voolin", but I really don't know.

» Funny, but I had the same reaction as Porsche before I even read down.

»

» Your order should be "Lagavulin, neat". The 16 year is awesome (very

» peaty and smoky, so not for everyone). Oddly, the 12 year old is a little

» smoother, sweeter, and stronger - and equally good.

»

» I think it's pronounced "Log-a-voolin", but I really don't know.

Here's how the back label reads, *** Dark intense Lagavulin (pronounced Laga-voolin after the Gaelic Laggan Mhouillin, "the hollow where the mill is"').....***

I first had it by chance when on an express train from Boston to Manhattan. I was hooked. I still have the nip sized bottle somewhere that I kept to remember what to look for when I got home. Many bottles later, it's still my first choice.

» "Mate...a shot of Whisky from the fancy poofter bottle. Shove the ice."

»

» ....works like a dream :lol:

^ lol i'm afraid they may look at me confused :-P

"Just do it the Brisbane boggan way:

Point to the bottle and say "give me that there fancy whiskey and I dont want nuttin else in the cup!!!!!" "

^ I'm also afraid i'll get something other than I anticipated back :-D lol

The Lagavulin looks tempting, but those bottles are very expensive! (for someone like me). I'm gunna definately give it a try, but i'll stick to the lower-end scotch's for a bit to develop an appreciation for quality in whiskey before I go for the Lagavulin. It's easy to go up in quality, but ever so hard to come back down.

thanks again guys for putting the phonetic pronounciation. I appreciate it!

• 4 weeks later...