Bolivar Gold Medal

Reviewed: 06/20/2006

Length: 165 mm, 6 ½ inches

Ring: 16.67 mm, 42

Vitola: Cervantes

Origin: Cuba

LCDH Germany Release

Box Code: GKI DEC 04

Last summer a very generous friend gave me one of these wonder Bolivar Gold Medals as a gift. They were extremely difficult to obtain as they were from the original Germany LCDH re-release. I tucked it away in the bottom of my humidor for some distant day in the future. That day came today.

This cigar is what perfection in rolling a cigar is all about. Upon removing the gold aluminum foil wrapper surrounding about ¾’s of the cigar, I found a medium dark Colorado shade wrapper that was silky smooth with a perfectly placed triple cap. I clipped it and took a long, slow pre-draw and tasted a sweet essence on both my lips and palate. I knew that I was in for a phenomenal experience.

I fired the cigar and was immediately greeted with a strong sweet earthiness. Right off the bat, from the beginning, this cigar was bold, strong and earthy. Full flavor and full bodied would be the only way that I could describe this cigar during the first third. As the cigar opened up, the flavor increased and I enjoyed the bold earthiness bordering on a peaty essence which was very rich. Near the beginning of the second third I began to taste a decline in the boldness and tasted a vegetal quality that was sort of herbal in nature. There were so many different flavors that I almost could not write them down because every draw from the cigar brought forth a new complexity. I tasted a meaty quality at points, sweet green and white peppers, mushrooms, and the overall presence of rich earth. During the middle of the cigar it was somewhat more medium bodied, yet from the last third the sweet peppery spice built steadily back to a full body and brought out a roasted coffee taste that was divine. The cigar was definitely full flavored the entire time. The complexity rose, fell and built yet again leaving my lips tingling from the rich earthiness. I absolutely loved smoking this cigar! It lasted a little over an hour and 20 minutes as I smoked it fairly slowly and allowed the smoke to be exhaled through my nose so I could enjoy the entire flavor that it had to offer. This is one of the very best cigars I have ever had the pleasure to smoke. If I had to rate it, I would say that tonight’s experience would be a 6 smoke ring out of 6 possible smoke ring rating. The finish of this cigar is still with me, nearly an hour after I set the nub down.

BGM_box12_B.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, Chuck, for an outstanding review of an outstanding cigar! Sounds like you were in heaven. I love complexity of this nature, both spicy and sweet at the same time. My benchmark for this combo is the Partagas P2 or Conn. No. 1. Yummy yummy yummy!

Very nice review T. This is a very good cigar that has come a long way since being released. Given the limited number released these are a fairly rare cigar. It will be interesting to see if the full production release will be anywhere as good..

» Great review Tampa!

»

» Doesn't it make you think ... I wish I had more :crying: :crying: :crying:

Yes, it truly does!

I am looking forward to later this year when I understand they are being re-released, when I will be absolutely sure to pick up several boxes and keep them in normal rotation.

Great review mate! It will be interesting to see if the Habanos s.a re - release this year will have the same or approximate blend as the Wolthers release.

I have only ever had one and enjoyed it immensely.

I've got one I received from that same generous friend,Chuck. Sounds like a winner for sure,haven't smoked mine yet. While I doubt the new release will resemble the specially commisioned one,I'm hoping for them to be good in their own right.

I finally had a chance to smoke one of these beauties Tuesday night (took me until today to get off my a$$ and upload the pictures). My generous friend Barney and his wife invited my wife and me over his house for a barbecue, and he cracked open his box for the two of us (his wife doesn't smoke cigars and my wife was smoking her RyJ Ex #3).

Box code GKI 12/04

This was a SERIOUS cigar.

Flavor: Strong, rich earthiness with flavors of cinammon and cocoa. The finish was long, and the smoke had a creaminess to its texture

75/75

Draw: Perfect with just the right amount of resistance and quite a bit of smoke volume

20/20

Construction: Very good construction, but the ONLY reason it did not score a perfect 100 points is that it went out once and it needed 2 touch ups during the 1 1/2 hours of smoking.

2/3

Burn: Slow-burning, razor sharp

2/2

Total score 99/100

This cigar was everything I could have expected!! Only one other cigar I have tasted has scored >98 points (the Davidoff Dom Perignon scored a 100), but to tell the truth, the BGM had better flavors to me than the Davidoff.

Pictures to follow--- I was fiddling around with the cigars inside the box before shooting pictures, and forgot to rearrange them precidely, so they don't look perfectly alligned :-| Enjoy.

BolivarGoldMedal.jpg

BolivarGoldMedal2.jpg

BolivarGoldMedal3.jpg

BolivarGoldMedal4.jpg

BolivarGoldMedal5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...