Question

Guest crossbow

Guest crossbow

Ken

On Aussie wines...

My brother who was here for a couple of weeks on holiday had given

me three different wines for my birthday (July 8).

1999 Brokenwood Shiraz Mclarenvale Padthway

2003 Saltram Mamre Brook Shiraz

2002 Petaluma Coonawarra Cab Merlot

I have not heard of Brokenwood nor Saltram. Any ideas?

On Bordeaux..

How long can one store a bordeaux for it to be still drinkable?

I had a 1991 Chateau Clerc Milon Pauillac that was just excellent.

Oaky and velvety, ripe. Nice wine while watching the Portugal - Germany game (or should it be called the Schweinsteiger show?)

(on this note. Thank you Docrks, my brother and I enjoyed this one thoroughly. My birthday would have been a disaster if not for your

intervention. Thank you again.)

» On Bordeaux..

»

» How long can one store a bordeaux for it to be still drinkable?

» I had a 1991 Chateau Clerc Milon Pauillac that was just excellent.

» Oaky and velvety, ripe. Nice wine while watching the Portugal - Germany

» game (or should it be called the Schweinsteiger show?)

»

» (on this note. Thank you Docrks, my brother and I enjoyed this one

» thoroughly.

Bro. Gene -

And the very happiest of Birthdays my Brother ---glad you enjoyed the Clerc M. - that Rothschild guy sure knows his Clarets.....;-) ------BTW - I think you will enjoy the ABADIA bottle from Espana every bit as much ---maybe even more ---it's one of our favorites here.....

As to your question on long term storage -- the oldest Clarets in our cellar are from 1973 (Latour, Margaux, Haut Brion) - I think they have gotten about as much as they will get from storage and are certainly past their peak....However, as Alyson and her new husband were visiting this weekend - we opened 2 bottles from 1982 (her birth year and an excellent year for Bordeaux...) The Ch. Margaux was like Cosmic Velvet Grapejuice ----so good you wanted to squeeze the cork out for just 1 more drop ---- the Ch. Lafitte was right up there - just a little lighter presentation and not quite as rich but still outstanding........

In October - it's Ashley's Birthday and we'll be opening up a bottle of 1 of the big 5 from her year - 1986.... If I remember correctly - the Ch. Mouton is next up to bat... I'll let you know how that is drinking then...

Ken is going to have to answer your Australian wine question - I stick almost exclusively to Europen product from this time frame...

»" On Bordeaux..

»

» game (or should it be called the Schweinsteiger show?)"

The aging of any wine not just Bordeaux depends on alot of factors. Much like cigars one of the first factors to look to would be producer. If they have a proven track record it is best to follow it as I have learned that Mother Nature very seldomly changes her plan just to screw up your wine experience. Next would be vintage. Inside each growing appelation you can usually find someone who has posted a vintage chart, Parker is a good one. Some vinatges you will find are much stronger than others and this will influiance your aging game plan. If the producer is unknown to you and you can find no info on them you should next look to growing appelation. I find that tends to offer alot of clues. Ie, Napa Valley Cabs tend to age well over 10 plus years. With growing appelation next would come variatal of grape. Cab Sauv, Cab Franc and Merlot tend to have the longest shelf life. Of course all of this is considering that much like your cigars you are storing them in proper conditions. A cool dark place. 50 to 55 cel is considered to be perfect for long term aging.

Hope that helps.

CD

» Ken

»

» On Aussie wines...

»

» My brother who was here for a couple of weeks on holiday had given

» me three different wines for my birthday (July 8).

»

» 1999 Brokenwood Shiraz Mclarenvale Padthway

» 2003 Saltram Mamre Brook Shiraz

» 2002 Petaluma Coonawarra Cab Merlot

»

» I have not heard of Brokenwood nor Saltram. Any ideas?

»

» On Bordeaux..

»

» game (or should it be called the Schweinsteiger show?)

»

» (on this note. Thank you Docrks, my brother and I enjoyed this one

» thoroughly. My birthday would have been a disaster if not for your

» intervention. Thank you again.)

just on those bordeaux to start, i'd be drinking the 73s asap. big vintage but not a lot of concentration. prices were skew whiff due to the big scandal. 82s and 86s if well stored, brilliant. especially the former. 91's, i'd be looking at real soon. not the best year of the 90's.

really depends totally on storage, how the cork holds up and what wine/vintage so hard to say. i've seen back to mid 1850's that was spectacular while some recent vintages were struggling.

rrokenwood one of the first boutiques in australia, started by james halliday and some other lawyers. have expanded to take in grapes from other regions such as this one. in mclaren vale they usually use the rayner vineyard - exceptional. this may be something different for export markets only as have not seen that blend here.

saltram been around for about 130 years and an old barossa icon. mamre brook once the top wine but now there are several in the portfolio above it. still good. winemaker nigel dolan has won a jimmy watsom (his old man won the first).

99 a very good vintage. 03 also very good though perhaps not quite such heights as 99.