Stout Men All

anacostiakat

A thread on another board got me to thinking about stout. While I don't drink anywhere near the quantities of ales, etc that I once did.

I am a big fan of Guinness Extra Stout and Beamish as well. Murphy's not so much. I am also a hog for a good porter.

We have quite a few good ones made here in the USA (Rogue, etc.)but I was wondering about Australian stouts.

What is your favorite?

Oh and where I could get them in the US. :confused:

I find most Stouts done by the larger production breweries to be an offense to Stouts. I find the Micro-brewery level stouts to be much better but that is nearly impossible to get unless you goto their Brew Pubs and Restaurants.

Unfortunately Guinness found in the USA is brewed in Canada. I've been to the Guinness Plant in Dublin, Ireland and it was a complete blast. Something I would highly recommend if you ever go there. Since I am now a Homebrewer, I can make the beers exactly how I want. Yes, I'm a huge Stout fan.

But for an Australian Stout...good luck. I've never heard of one brewed down there.

In many Carribean islands, they sell Guiness Foreign Export Stout. It's a little sweeter than what you get here AND 7.5% alcohol.

Not technically a stout, but Paulaner Salvator from Munich is an excellent strong dark beer.

»

» Oh and where I could get them in the US. :confused:

long time since i was in DC but if that bar - the brickskellar, from memory (somewhere like K or M Street) - still exists, that would be your best shot. if i recall, they had about 600 hundred different beers from around the world - a regular dispenser of hangovers.

I'll back up the Coopers Best Extra Stout and Cascade Stout. If possible, get the aged Coopers Best Extra. It is the same stuff as the Best Extra but cellared in proper conditions for 6 months prior to shipping.

» »

» » Oh and where I could get them in the US. :confused:

»

» long time since i was in DC but if that bar - the brickskellar, from

» memory (somewhere like K or M Street) - still exists, that would be your

» best shot. if i recall, they had about 600 hundred different beers from

» around the world - a regular dispenser of hangovers.

Actually the last time I heard about that place it was like 450 to 500. But damn close so not knitpicking the number. I was gonna say that being in the DC area ya should have one hell of a shot to get beers from around the world. The other place I can think of off the top of my head is in Portland Oregon so a little out of your way. They have around 500 beers.

There is 2 online places ya may also have a chance at getting strange and unusual beers from around the world. One is Sams wine and the Binny's.

» »

» » Oh and where I could get them in the US. :confused:

»

» long time since i was in DC but if that bar - the brickskellar, from

» memory (somewhere like K or M Street) - still exists, that would be your

» best shot. if i recall, they had about 600 hundred different beers from

» around the world - a regular dispenser of hangovers.

Last time I was up that end of time it was still there but that has been quite a long time as I live in the southeast (Anacostia) section of DC.

Here is their link: www.thebrickskeller.com

What I should have said was where can I pick up some for the house. There are a couple of places that have a wide selection in their bars.