Vegas Robaina Familiar

OIK NOV 03

This has now taken over as my favourite Corona of all.

Silky dark tan delicate wrapper. Nicely rolled with no hard spots and yet filled to perfection. Nice openfoot. Smell at cold was straight Milo (powdered chocolate drink).

Cuban cut the foot and tested the draw which didn't disappoint. Torched with the Industrial Chef torch andw as greeted with tons of smoke and that classic Robaina flavour of dark roasted milk coffee. Medium bidied but oh so consistent The burn was excellent and it maintained it's flavour profile slowly building intensity as I turned the Quail on the BBQ (Sunday lunch). The last third lost the milishcoffee edgeand turned to plain espresso. This cigar has another two years before it finds it's best but is magnificent now.

Robaina's are surely one of the most consistent cigars of all. It doesn't appear to matter whether it is a Famoso, Familiar, Clasico, Unico or Don Alejandro they all exude class and are distinctly Robaina in flavour profile.

Robaina's are surely one of the most consistent cigars of all. It doesn't appear to matter whether it is a Famoso, Familiar, Clasico, Unico or Don Alejandro they all exude class and are distinctly Robaina in flavour profile.

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie, boss! (Hold on, Ozzies don't know how to whistle Dixie, do they?)

:cool:

I can whistle Dixie and do agree that the Familiar is a wonderful corona. Mine are dark and dependable. I have also the DA and Unico and the Familiar is my favorite, at the minute. I am fickle and subject to change

Shrink.

Ken is writing a major Cigar article for a magazine ( yes...he is being paid :lol2:) and is struggling to keep pace with the forum while at the same time remebering how to spell Por Larranaga :-D

• 2 months later...

Just smoked my first one of these. I have had the Unicos (which I also enjoyed) but never the Familiar. Not sure of the box code as it was from a singles order about three months ago. The cigar started off with a touch of spice and plenty of smoke and only got better. It quickly settled in to a coffee flavor with a hint of what I can only describe as maybe maple sryup but not as sweet (I am new at this so I could be way off). The burn was perfect as I had to remove the ash twice before it fell in my lap. Last third developed a bit more spice but not overpowering. I am not one to nub a cigar but this one I did and enjoyed every last minute of it. I have never formally reviewed a cigar so I will not give it a number only saying that I will revisit them more often and it will be box order in the near future.

Thanks for putting me onto these Prez,

Is a nice size instead of the Unicos & Don Alejandro, & still has that great VR construction & flavour.

Will have to order some more soon as the stash I had is rapidly being depleted.

I don't think VR's get the credit they deserve - but that's okay, because i can usually get them with some age on them! My first box of VR was the Unicos, then the famosos. Both excellent smokes. Then there's the VR farm rolled....MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

i really like the robaina marque, and i agree that it does not get the credit it deserves oftentimes. that is why i chose it as the most underrated producer in rob's inaugural foh award thread.

by the way, why the hell haven't more of you taken the time to put your picks in the award thread? i think only three of us have done so. yall act like you are spending all your time entering football picks or something. lol.

» by the way, why the hell haven't more of you taken the time to put your

» picks in the award thread? i think only three of us have done so. yall

» act like you are spending all your time entering football picks or

» something. lol.

Has he posted the new place to put them all? I know I was waiting for that.

The burn was excellent and it maintained it's flavour

» profile slowly building intensity as I turned the Quail on the BBQ

» (Sunday lunch). The last third lost the milishcoffee edgeand turned to

» plain espresso.

Rob,

Where does one in Brisbane find Quail, I havent exactly seen it on offer at the local Woolies Taigum. Not that that affects the Cigar Review, just thought it was interesting.

Ross...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...