The Divot

Construction - wise, does anyone know, with certainty, what causes a divot when

the cap is removed on some cigars?

It seems like whenever I am able to take one, I'll get a good draw. Of course,

that's not to say I won't get a good draw without taking a divot.

It's not that you are "taking a divot", it's already there. I frequently use the cutter to carefully cut through just the cap, not cutting into the binder or filler. Sometimes, the divot (or dimple) is just a dent, pushed in by the cap (sort of a reverse pig-tail under the cap). Other times, it seems the roller has actually cut out the dimple. I believe the divot, is a sign of old style quality construction, but I've had cigars with a dimple that wouln't draw for crap. :confused:

I would ask Taboada when I go back down, but I don't speak spanish. :lol: I'm sure some folks here know more though.

It does seem that sometimes the dimple is there. Other times, I'm actually pulling

out a small piece of tobacco. Still others, the divot doesn't exist, and the filler is

flush with the head.

Goat, if you can find a translator, that'd be great:lol2:

» Construction - wise, does anyone know, with certainty, what causes a divot

» when

» the cap is removed on some cigars?

» It seems like whenever I am able to take one, I'll get a good draw.

» Of course,

» that's not to say I won't get a good draw without taking a divot.

Now... Sorry for my ignorance here, and not being completely familiar with "cigar terms" in English. I mean, I'm pretty fluent in English, but not a native speaker.

What exactly is the "divot"? And while I'm at it, what it "to purge a cigar"?

Thanks and sorry for the thread jack!

» Or, when I hit a golf ball I leave HUGE divots!

HA!! When I played, I was a skuller!

Gerson, often times when you remove the cap from a cigar, there is a small dimple

or indentation. I referred to it as a divot.

I'm interested to know what causes it, and if it is indeed an intentional part of

a cigar's construction. I'm just curious.

» It does seem that sometimes the dimple is there. Other times, I'm actually

» pulling

» out a small piece of tobacco. Still others, the divot doesn't exist, and

» the filler is

» flush with the head.

» Goat, if you can find a translator, that'd be great:lol2:

Mate..I have noticed the "Divot" as I am an avid "Pincher" when it comes to removing the cap. I never gave it a second thought.

I will do some investigation on this matter :cool:

• 12 years later...

Some rollers will make on purpose, or end up with, a tiny pigtail from the wrapped cap and then press it flush into the head of the cigar, before placing the round top cap.  AFAIK, that is the source of the divot.  Or is this something else?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aphexafx said:

Some rollers will make on purpose, or end up with, a tiny pigtail from the wrapped cap and then press it flush into the head of the cigar, before placing the round top cap.  AFAIK, that is the source of the divot.  Or is this something else?

Exactly what I read on another forum, almost word for word. Here it is:

Some torcedors leave a small depression in the end of the bunch, then twist the binder into a pigtail to hold everything together as the cigar goes into the press. When they work the wrapper up to the head, they trim off most of the pigtail, and stuff the remaining bit into the depression to make a nice flat top for the cap. The remnants of the pigtail pop out when you trim or punch the cap before smoking.

• Like 2

I see it quite often as I just take a sliver off the cap when I am cutting it. It almost seems like I am not really cutting but more having the pressure of the blades pop the top of the cap off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Cayman17 said:

Exactly what I read on another forum, almost word for word. Here it is:

Some torcedors leave a small depression in the end of the bunch, then twist the binder into a pigtail to hold everything together as the cigar goes into the press. When they work the wrapper up to the head, they trim off most of the pigtail, and stuff the remaining bit into the depression to make a nice flat top for the cap. The remnants of the pigtail pop out when you trim or punch the cap before smoking.

I remember watching a video somewhere and this is exactly what I recall them doing. Dont see the little knot stuffed inside on every cigar but I usually try and pop it out if there is one.