A day at the Partagas Factory: Photo Shoot

El Presidente

Very nice photos Rob, but that also leads to a lot of questions..........

I noticed that some of the molds were the old wood type and then some were plastic, is there a difference, and the move toward plastic seems like they are moving away from the traditional method. But it could also mean that the plastic wears longer and is less expensive to make? Why would they move that way?

I found the new moisture room interesting, perhaps that is another method of stabilizing quality control.

I noticed bundle after bundle of mixed count cigars waiting what looks like to be weighted, which I would think is another quality control method. I had thought that the cigars were typically counted off into wheels of 50 but the photos showed some with 5, some with 15, some with 30 some with 25. Is there a reason for the difference in the count? Or is that bundled by each roller to inspect individuals performance?

Damn those chairs the rollers sit in all day do not look comfortable at all, I swear my ass would hurt after a few hours of that!

The application of the Gold leaf wrapper on the Bolivar Gold Medals was a great photo, was that for the limited German release a couple of years ago, or is that for the up coming release?

Once again, great photos, did you take these yourself?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This series of photo's depicts a typical day at the Partagas Factory. You will see the stripping department (removing central vein)rollers on the rolling floors, quality control, draw machines, the ne

» Very nice photos Rob, but that also leads to a lot of questions.......... » OH OH ...... » I noticed that some of the molds were the old wood type and then some were » plastic, is there a diffe

Fantastic pictures Rob!

» Very nice photos Rob, but that also leads to a lot of questions..........

»

OH OH ......

» I noticed that some of the molds were the old wood type and then some were

» plastic, is there a difference, and the move toward plastic seems like they

» are moving away from the traditional method. But it could also mean that

» the plastic wears longer and is less expensive to make? Why would they

» move that way? I have not seen the plastic moulds before. Not sure if the one depicted is plastic or metal. Again not sure if it was a trial. I was at the Upmann factory (newest) in July and only saw wooden. Albeit my attention to these details is sketchy( You are talking to a man who forgot his wife's 40th birthday :surprised: )»

» I found the new moisture room interesting, perhaps that is another method

» of stabilizing quality control.

These Moisturising Rooms are being put in all the factories. The units are manufactured in Italy and provide state of the art moisture control. Simple quality control. Same moisture content in every leaf.

»

» I noticed bundle after bundle of mixed count cigars waiting what looks

» like to be weighted, which I would think is another quality control

» method. I had thought that the cigars were typically counted off into

» wheels of 50 but the photos showed some with 5, some with 15, some with 30

» some with 25. Is there a reason for the difference in the count? Or is that

» bundled by each roller to inspect individuals performance? It is inspecting individual rollers performance.»

» Damn those chairs the rollers sit in all day do not look comfortable at

» all, I swear my ass would hurt after a few hours of that!

My arse would last two cigars. I noticed there are no rocking chairs, a deck and a bottle of wine. I am not cut out to be a roller.

»

» The application of the Gold leaf wrapper on the Bolivar Gold Medals was a

» great photo, was that for the limited German release a couple of years

» ago, or is that for the up coming release? They were the German release. January 2005.»

» Once again, great photos, did you take these yourself?

I can't take these photo's as it is not permitted to take photo's within the factories :lookaround:

• Like 2

Very nice, there is just something about seeing someone rolling a cigar and enjoying one at the same time. I love it, to me it shows them doing something they love and are probably very proud of.

I want to be the QA taste tester, Chuck you with me.:-)

Honey, get the Depends 'cuz I done crapped my pants!

I couldn’t help but notice, some of those muchachas are rather bonita… how great would it be to have a good looking woman who cooked, cleaned, did the nasty AND then rolled you a smoke afterwards!!??

:clap:

Outstanding photos, I did have a couple of questions too.

What happens to the cigars that do not meet the specs of the draw machines?

On the last photo, what is the fan type thing in the wood? Do they have an exhaust system or something? It looks like there is nothing behind them but I was just curious what that could be.

GREAT pictures.

I love the old woman in the rainbow sweater rolling cazadores. Classic.

And was that a picture of Dallas' Jason Kidd on that rolling table?

I also found it ironic that the lector was reading from a newspaper article titled "Mistreated."

(Note to self)--something to aspire to. Building a factory in havana to produce my own family's cigar line.

When the old regime ceases, there will be ample opportunity for those of us who have the available capital to realize some very major but seemingly distant dreams. One can only hope.

» Outstanding photos, I did have a couple of questions too.

»

» What happens to the cigars that do not meet the specs of the draw

» machines?

The cigars are returned to the roller who re-rolls them under the eye of the quality inspector.

» On the last photo, what is the fan type thing in the wood? Do they have

» an exhaust system or something? It looks like there is nothing behind

» them but I was just curious what that could be.

I will find out for you. There are approximately 12 tasters so I am assuming it is some form of exhaust...but it doesn't appear to go anywher. Will know by next week ;-)