A day at the Partagas Factory: Photo Shoot

El Presidente

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This series of photo's depicts a typical day at the Partagas Factory. You will see the stripping department (removing central vein)rollers on the rolling floors, quality control, draw machines, the ne

» Very nice photos Rob, but that also leads to a lot of questions.......... » OH OH ...... » I noticed that some of the molds were the old wood type and then some were » plastic, is there a diffe

Fantastic pictures Rob!

Incredible pictures! I've visited one factory before, but it was nothing like this and it was not a Cuban factory! At least they have the perk of smoking their own cigars while working! I wonder if they have to pay for them. My guess is no, as long as they produce lots of cigars.

The thing that makes this most painful to look at is Partagas are my favorite Cuban cigar!!!! :love::ok:

• 1 month later...

» This is why I love this site. I have to say it again I love these photos.

Rob you're photos (ops...who gave you them ;-) ) are fantastic. I have visited several factories but these photo's are amazing.

Thank you I will share them with italian board if you don't mind.

• 1 month later...

Those pics are awesome, just bundle after bundle after bundle of smokes. Very interesting to get the behind the scenes look at how this precious commodity is made. Hey are those P2's being draw tested?

» What happened to the virgins? :confused:

»

» Great photos Rob. Thanks for posting!

These pics are so cool to look at. It's amazing to look at how "totally a mano" labor intensive the process really is to this day. Makes me wonder how we can pay so little for one of these cigars when you see what it takes to make them. The process is just as intense in the fields growing /picking/drying. A gal I know just got back from the Dominican on an invited factory tour. She described the exact same process as Cuba. watchful eyes keeping an eye on quality, draw machines etc.Also of note was meticulous cleanliness of both the emloyees and the factory.. She also mentioned something interesting...She talked to the general counsel for General and was told unequivically that Altadis has exclusive distribution rights for Cuban tobacco in the U.S. along with their distributor JR when the time comes and there will definitely be litigation. Whether some of the conversation was out of context I do not know but thats what I heard ! Thanks for posting these pics Rob...I hope their process never changes...even when the quest for higher production comes.

• 1 year later...

Wow, I love these pics. They are some of the best especially the ones with lots of cigars. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Sweetness. Definitely causes an appreciation of Hecho a Mano. These people making their livelihood on something which is a total "luxury/enjoyment only" hobby for me.

Also thought about the hygiene aspect, esp. thinking about a hot summer day in the rolling factory. Guess that's partly what the magic is :)

Any idea on what the pay is like for the rollers compared to other jobs in Cuba? Is it a decent job? Or just the fact that they have a job is a good thing?

Thanks for posting El Presidente.

» Sweetness. Definitely causes an appreciation of Hecho a Mano. These

» people making their livelihood on something which is a total

» "luxury/enjoyment only" hobby for me.

»

» Also thought about the hygiene aspect, esp. thinking about a hot summer

» day in the rolling factory. Guess that's partly what the magic is :)

»

» Any idea on what the pay is like for the rollers compared to other jobs in

» Cuba? Is it a decent job? Or just the fact that they have a job is a good

» thing?

»

» Thanks for posting El Presidente.

Hehehee ... reminds me of the urban legend that the baker who invented San Francisco sourdough bread did so by rolling the bread dough on his sweaty, hairy chest before baking the bread. Thus the secret to the bread's distinct salty taste. ;-)

• 3 months later...