Let's talk about watches...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lange 1 in rose gold. Took a little while to arrive.

The only priceless watch in my collection. My Mom told me if I graduated college w a 4.0 GPA she would buy me whatever watch I wanted for graduation. It proved to be good motivation and my Dad almost

New early 40th birthday gift for myself. Omega Seamaster Diver 300  

3 hours ago, Jnavas1500 said:

Very nice Winchester21, I love mine! 2017 was the first introduction to the blue dial, only complaint is the feel of the Royal Oak chrono RG is rough compared to my Patek and Rolex’s

just ordered my RG AP Doubled balance wheel open worked on Monday! 

The openeorked is one serious watch Nice

On 2/22/2018 at 11:44 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

How many grams does that AP weight?  Looks like a tank.

On 2/22/2018 at 11:44 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

How many grams does that AP weight?  Looks like a tank.

It is fairly heavy but the design fits the wrist in a manner that is not as noticeable as you might think. Feels lighter than my previous gold submariner I will get out my postal scale and check it. I have been wearing it for a couple of days and it feels great for a 41 mm gold watch

On 2/21/2018 at 8:40 PM, Winchester21 said:

The openeorked is one serious watch Nice

After warring it for a couple of days I find it to be less rough than my previous all gold Rolex sub. I can’t speak of the Patek as I have never owned a gold one. The Patek rose gold Nautilus chrono was 94k double the price of the AP so I passed. Hopefully I will pick up a stainless Nautilus at some point going forward

12 hours ago, Winchester21 said:

Hopefully I will pick up a stainless Nautilus at some point going forward

I really love the Nautilus line, they really have stood the test of time and one of the sportiest options from Patek.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2018 at 8:04 PM, Baccy said:

...Normally I rock a TAG Aqauracer Calibre 5, but when I'm feeling extra snazzy I throw on my jet black Rolex Sub DateB)

I miss not having a rolex sub Traded my entiire Rolex collection to buy the AP. I think I may pick up a stainless date sub next time if I can find a deal. They are scarce and expensive along with all the professional series Rolex particulary in stainless. The stainless sub is the be all do all example of the rolex line. I refer to it as the AK- 47 of watches. It takes a beating and always works but still is at home beneath the cuff of an Armani suit. Not many watches can pull that off 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2018 at 12:28 PM, Winchester21 said:

I finally got it. Months of holding off on other expenditures but worth it. This is the most I have ever spent on a watch I am done buying watches for awhile

B4EE599D-D28C-4774-8812-A0C0B02FE715.jpeg

C699B086-0EAB-4FF2-8DD9-CE0AF34FEC75.jpeg

9E77CB4F-34F2-4591-85F5-AD8BA01BF8AD.jpeg

A8E6AAD8-7981-456A-94FE-6B154E218807.jpeg

That's like the average net worth of your average American household right there. In all seriousness, congrats. One of my grails.

11 hours ago, Winchester21 said:

I miss not having a rolex sub Traded my entiire Rolex collection to buy the AP. I think I may pick up a stainless date sub next time if I can find a deal. They are scarce and expensive along with all the professional series Rolex particulate in stainless. The stainless sub is the be all do all example of the rolex line. I refer to it as the AK- 47 of watches. It takes a beating and always works but still is at home beneath the cuff of an Armani suit. Not many watches can pull that off 

Well, I also think I'm done buying watches for a while... However I still have a weakness for the Omega Seamaster, and I'm sure one day I'll pull the trigger and get one. I just love everything about those watches.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I've been looking at Oris, specifically the limited release Hammerhead, for my first "nice" watch. I did a search on here and to my surprise I see El Pres was associated with them and others tend to think highly of them for the price. I have a Luminox 4221 ANU that I wear in the field and when running charters. I picked up a Deep Blue Master 1000 for my first auto which I think is a pretty solid watch for a very cheap price when they have their 40% sales. I also really like the Breitling Super Ocean Heritage II 46mm but that's a good chunk of change.

Do you guys find that a watch winder is a necessity or just more of a convenience thing? 

• 3 weeks later...

aa536642dd6f7d051e786ec3a389960e.jpg

After selling some cigars, shares and remote control car stuff, got the North Flag today to wind out my collection. The undone for a holiday beater. The north flag for work and the bronze for home.

The tissot and the seiko were gifts and I can’t get rid of them. But they are nice none the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just want to point out. The bronze is my favourite watch. Love it. There is one flaw however. I work with cyanide. Tonnes and tonnes of it. Cyanide and bronze mix... very well. If I work my watch to work it would take about 9 seconds to dissolve it completely

Hence the purchase of the stainless steel north flag.

First world problems hey.

On 4/24/2018 at 11:58 PM, LordAnubis said:

aa536642dd6f7d051e786ec3a389960e.jpg

After selling some cigars, shares and remote control car stuff, got the North Flag today to wind out my collection. The undone for a holiday beater. The north flag for work and the bronze for home.

The tissot and the seiko were gifts and I can’t get rid of them. But they are nice none the less.

Nice collection! Love Tudor, particularly the Black Bay models  

11 hours ago, LordAnubis said:

I work with cyanide. Tonnes and tonnes of it. Cyanide and bronze mix... very well. If I work my watch to work it would take about 9 seconds to dissolve it completely

At least you're worried about your watch... :wink2:

I'm looking forward to the return of the sub-40mm watch.  This "bigger is badder" thing has gotten way to out of hand.

I tried to find a 39 mm ap Royal Oak for a friend recently. They did a run of 39 mm ultra thin”jumbo” which is a throwback to the original royal oak from the 70s  39mm was considered a huge watch at that time. I personally stick to 41 and 42mm sizes but they must be spot on in design and construction to wear correctly. I have a 60 mm mudmaster for rough duty and if feels huge and I am always conscious of it. Always sliding around. My next watch if there is a next one will be a sub 40mm dia

I'm looking forward to the return of the sub-40mm watch.  This "bigger is badder" thing has gotten way to out of hand.

The Tudor black bay 58.

You’re welcome.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LordAnubis said:

The Tudor black bay 58.

You’re welcome.

emoji1417.png

Their big brother Rolex also makes 38mm, but aside from this style choice it seems like the sub-40mm has gone extinct.  Even Breitling used to make a 38mm Navitimer chronograph, but now you can only get it in 40+mm sizes.  The irony is that the movements are mostly still the same, the companies just put them in bigger cases to pander to fashion. :mad:  

13 minutes ago, PapaDisco said:

Their big brother Rolex also makes 38mm, but aside from this style choice it seems like the sub-40mm has gone extinct.  Even Breitling used to make a 38mm Navitimer chronograph, but now you can only get it in 40+mm sizes.  The irony is that the movements are mostly still the same, the companies just put them in bigger cases to pander to fashion. :mad:  

Small sizes are making a bit of a comeback, is my impression.

Aside from the Tudor, there are the Grand Seikos -- very high quality, and most of them do not break the 40mm barrier.  The Lange Saxonia range comes in 35, 38 and 40 mm sizes and are dead elegant dress watches.  Then there is Oris, which has a lot of watches in the sub-40mm range.  If you like the Bauhaus style, both the Junghans Max Bill and the Nomos watches come in under 40mm.

On 2/20/2018 at 7:20 PM, Winchester21 said:

Love those old sekios

I love my SRP 777. A friend of mine owns a c1970/1980 Seiko Diver. Was great to put the two side by side for comparison.

On 2/22/2018 at 7:28 AM, Winchester21 said:

I finally got it. Months of holding off on other expenditures but worth it. This is the most I have ever spent on a watch I am done buying watches for awhile

Congratulations @Winchester21 !!!

IMG_20160830_085613.jpg

• Like 1

• JohnS changed the title to Let's talk about watches...