Let's talk about watches...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lange 1 in rose gold. Took a little while to arrive.

The only priceless watch in my collection. My Mom told me if I graduated college w a 4.0 GPA she would buy me whatever watch I wanted for graduation. It proved to be good motivation and my Dad almost

New early 40th birthday gift for myself. Omega Seamaster Diver 300  

14 hours ago, gweilgi said:

Small sizes are making a bit of a comeback, is my impression.

Very much so.  If you look at the online vendors, all the watches on close out or big discount are the 42+ sizes.  I would not spend a lot on a 44+ watch as it'll looked dated within a decade.  38-42 for a sport watch has been the standard for a long time and we have not grown in size since then.  A couple of brands are just big like Panerai and that is their style.  Also they were the Genesis of the big watch trend IMO.

Couldn’t disagree more. Some wrists are smaller and require smaller watches. The trend is to buy what fits you.

I still have my first watch, a Tag that’s tiny. I HATE it. I’ll never wear a small watch and couldn’t care any less what trends are. Wear what fits you, trends be damned.ba3719802c1ffb90a98c8c89d2fd5c32.jpg

• Like 1

To each his own I hate some of the jumbo size watches and love others  Depends on the design of the case and the band/bracelet. More choices is always a good thing. Wrist size is definitely a deciding factor

• Like 1

Very much so.  If you look at the online vendors, all the watches on close out or big discount are the 42+ sizes.  I would not spend a lot on a 44+ watch as it'll looked dated within a decade.  38-42 for a sport watch has been the standard for a long time and we have not grown in size since then.  A couple of brands are just big like Panerai and that is their style.  Also they were the Genesis of the big watch trend IMO.

I believe it’s quite telling that Rolex, a watchmaker which absolutely does not follow trends, just released the sea-dweller in a 43mm. I agree that the watches that are 46+ are too big, but 40mm to 44mm are the going sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 hours ago, liquid360 said:

I believe it’s quite telling that Rolex, a watchmaker which absolutely does not follow trends, just released the sea-dweller in a 43mm. 

Well to be fair, that is a specialized watch that is normally that size.  Would you want to look at a smaller watch 100'+ in the water diving?  

16 minutes ago, SigmundChurchill said:

When they launched the Yachtmaster II, I got a letter from the Jeweler where I bought this watch, and they offered me a trade in of more than I paid for the watch in 2002, to upgrade to the Yachtmaster II.  It got me into the store to check it out, but I ended up sticking with the watch that I have.  The Yachtmaster II was a little too big for my taste.

I think you made the right move.  Yachtmaster II is kind of tacky looking with the Rolex script on the Bezel.  

• Like 1

Well to be fair, that is a specialized watch that is normally that size.  Would you want to look at a smaller watch 100'+ in the water diving?  

They’ve made them smaller for decades and decades and decades only now have they decided to make them larger. There are those who’ve hoped for larger Rolex watches. I had a deep sea for quite awhile. I regret getting rid of it.

You can’t possibly believe most who buy that watch are taking it down to depth. I’d bet most who buy it won’t ever get it wet. They’re buying it because they want a larger Rolex than the Sub.

The yachmaster2 does not do it for me with that bezel

5 hours ago, liquid360 said:

You can’t possibly believe most who buy that watch are taking it down to depth. I’d bet most who buy it won’t ever get it wet. They’re buying it because they want a larger Rolex than the Sub.

Nearly 0 % are, but that doesn't change Rolex's engineering.

• Like 1

I'm not arguing that 40+mm watches are good or bad, simply that watchmakers killed off their sub-40's when they all went big.  There are exceptions (Rolex and Tudor being prominent), and I agree that one should buy what fits you.  It's only the cases that have gotten bigger, they all use the original movements (mostly) so a wise manufacturer would make 38, 40, and 42 all with the same movement.  Just my humble opinion.

AP currently makes the Royal Oak in 33 37 49 and 42 mm. The Offshore looks be covers 42 44 and 45 mm. Something for everybody. I had a smaller royal oak 3 register chrono but it was too much info for that size dial- 37 mm. I had trouble seeing and reading the fregisers and sold it for a 41 mm and a 42 mm which are perfect for me. The little 37 mm was one of the most comfortable watches I have ever owned. On the other extreme I owned a super deep sea dweller Rolex whic was rated to some crazy dive depth like 12000 feet.  The watch was well in excess of 40 mm. It was wearing a lead dive belt around my wrist. I was so happy to get rid of it. After owning loads of luxury sport watches I have settled on the 42 mm AP Royal Oak Offshore. IMO it is the finest sport watchbon the market regardless of price. 

• Like 1

On the subject of size, I’ve been watching eBay a lot lately for used watches. As I prefer larger pieces, I’ve been watching that new Breitling Avenger Hurricane which is an insane 50mm, a truly massive watch. They are selling insanely fast for such an expensive timepiece. There might be more interest in smaller watches, but if you watch the secondary marketplace, the BIG ones are the only ones fetching top dollar.
6eabbcf79f74fd30a7b6a5d9c71f92a6.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/6/2018 at 11:45 PM, SigmundChurchill said:

I’’m not a watch guy, and I dont even know how many mm my watch is, but I bought this platinum/stainless Yachtmaster back in 2002.  It was a big face at the time.  Now it seems small, but I like it just as it is.  When they launched the Yachtmaster II, I got a letter from the Jeweler where I bought this watch, and they offered me a trade in of more than I paid for the watch in 2002, to upgrade to the Yachtmaster II.  It got me into the store to check it out, but I ended up sticking with the watch that I have.  The Yachtmaster II was a little too big for my taste.

I dont like the giant faces of watches today.  Some of them are nice, but others look ridiculous, like they were made for Flavor Flav.

Keep that 2002 Yachtmaster!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Winchester21 said:

AP currently makes the Royal Oak in 33 37 49 and 42 mm. The Offshore looks be covers 42 44 and 45 mm. Something for everybody. I had a smaller royal oak 3 register chrono but it was too much info for that size dial- 37 mm. I had trouble seeing and reading the fregisers and sold it for a 41 mm and a 42 mm which are perfect for me. The little 37 mm was one of the most comfortable watches I have ever owned. On the other extreme I owned a super deep sea dweller Rolex whic was rated to some crazy dive depth like 12000 feet.  The watch was well in excess of 40 mm. It was wearing a lead dive belt around my wrist. I was so happy to get rid of it. After owning loads of luxury sport watches I have settled on the 42 mm AP Royal Oak Offshore. IMO it is the finest sport watchbon the market regardless of price. 

Good tip on the AP's.  They even make an automatic chronograph in a 37mm case BUT, you have to get the glitzy diamonds.  The same watch used to be available in 'plainer' formats in 37mm.  Still, I've put AP on my shopping list.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 5:36 PM, Winchester21 said:

The yachmaster2 does not do it for me with that bezel

While I am a big Rolex aficionado I totally agree. The Yach2 is over the top and too busy, besides the fact it has a useless complication for most watch wearers. Now the stainless Yachtmaster with deep blue dial is a beauty. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NYgarman said:

While I am a big Rolex aficionado I totally agree. The Yach2 is over the top and too busy, besides the fact it has a useless complication for most watch wearers. Now the stainless Yachtmaster with deep blue dial is a beauty. 

I like the Stainless and Rose Gold version of the Yachtmaster.  

I shake my head at an increasing amount of stuff Rolex does. However, I’m hardly a purist either. This is a 39MM Explorer (the first version released maybe ~8 years ago) that I think is just a great simple beautiful watch...though many Rolex purists shake their heads that it is too big and that Rolex messed up an iconic watch by making it too big. I think 39MM is perfect, for me at least. My daily has also been the white gold BLRO GMT II, again many Rolex purists find that watch in white gold blasphemy, and the new purplish blue hue on the bezel blingy. But I think it is a killer watch. I like it more today than when I first got it. 

B79F3ED5-BE62-40D2-AA33-C9E8209065EC.jpeg

• Like 3

Great watch one of the true all time Rolex classics Wish I had kept the one I had back in the day

I tend to go through phases with watches. Currently I’m all about Cartier. I absolutely adore my Calibre De Cartier Diver. I’m thinking my next watch will be the Roadster.
Any other fans of Cartier? Anyone own a Roadster?

• Like 1

• JohnS changed the title to Let's talk about watches...