El Presidente

Let\'s talk about watches:

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Islandboy said:

Anyone familiar with this? Found it going through a box of stuff I hadn’t seen in years. It was my dad’s, but I’ve never been one to wear a watch...so into the box it went. 

IMG_3476.thumb.JPG.b1e61b0ef19b5e1bcc342285be6974f6.JPG

That’s a nice little Swiss automatic right there. I believe this Seastar is circa 1970. Fun shape case with a nice date window at the three. The movement is cal 2481. It’s a great watch to wear around and think of your dad, but from a dollar standpoint I think excellent examples go for around $500. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

That looks like a 1960/70s model Seastar.

 

4 minutes ago, Bram Smoker said:

That’s a nice little Swiss automatic right there. I believe this Seastar is circa 1970. Fun shape case with a nice date window at the three. The movement is cal 2481. It’s a great watch to wear around and think of your dad, but from a dollar standpoint I think excellent examples go for around $500. 

Thanks guys. My eyesight sucks...I couldn’t read the word “Seastar” on the watch until I saw it in the photo, lol. A google search quickly shows just how many versions of the Seastar there’ve been over the years, wow. 

So I’m noticing that as I move it around to look at it, the second hand starts moving. I guess that’s the automatic feature in action. :ok:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Islandboy said:

 

Thanks guys. My eyesight sucks...I couldn’t read the word “Seastar” on the watch until I saw it in the photo, lol. A google search quickly shows just how many versions of the Seastar there’ve been over the years, wow. 

So I’m noticing that as I move it around to look at it, the second hand starts moving. I guess that’s the automatic feature in action. :ok:

Yea, that is the automatic feature. Automatic watches differ from mechanical, on the most basic level, by using what looks like a half moon that spins around when you move and powers the movement. So when you see pictures of the movement in that watch, that’s is what you will see. Mechanical require hand winding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Islandboy said:

 

Thanks guys. My eyesight sucks...I couldn’t read the word “Seastar” on the watch until I saw it in the photo, lol. A google search quickly shows just how many versions of the Seastar there’ve been over the years, wow. 

So I’m noticing that as I move it around to look at it, the second hand starts moving. I guess that’s the automatic feature in action. :ok:

If it has been lying in the box for years, you may want to have a watchmaker give it a nice clean and lube.  That way, it will be good for another few decades...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are y'all's preferred online retailers for watches these days?  It's a sea of shops online, and hard to sort the good from the bad.  I'm asking about retailers/grey marketers, not private sellers.  Is there an FOH of the watchworld? 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PapaDisco said:

What are y'all's preferred online retailers for watches these days?  It's a sea of shops online, and hard to sort the good from the bad.  I'm asking about retailers/grey marketers, not private sellers.  Is there an FOH of the watchworld? 🤔

watchuseek, thewatchforum, timezone, watchtalkforums, tz-uk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chrono 24 is a good starting point. Several purchases. All good so far Hope you find what you are looking for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, smokum said:

My old Breitling Aerospace group purchased bynthe crew of AF1. 24 of 32 made. My son thinks watches are dumb.

 

07B0ABBE-9075-468E-A9BE-257E871A4F83.jpeg

C4EC5256-FC7F-4F38-B91C-21712798BAE4.jpeg

Wow, that is super cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

late 60sVietnam rea seikos are some of the most underated and underpriced watches in existance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seiko was really trying to prove a point with these mid-period Grand Seikos. Of course, soon afterwards they started winning all the chronometer  competitions, which the Swiss promptly abandoned!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only two nice watches are a ceramic Rolex GMT Master II and Glashutte Senator Date Hands. Used to daily a Longines Hydroconquest and Victorinox Alliance Chrono...both great watches!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, smokum said:

My old Breitling Aerospace group purchased bynthe crew of AF1. 24 of 32 made. My son thinks watches are dumb.

What an awesome piece.  Thanks for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love to see Tudor make the pelagos ldh in SS. Don’t own a nice watch but that might change if they ever make one. If not, Oris or maybe a Sinn are what I like that I could personally justify spending the coin on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has slowly become my daily wearer. Simple, classic design and tough as nails...

89B69393-A013-4301-8895-59293345FA04.thumb.jpeg.7a264c268ce620229cbad392262d4553.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, rguinn said:

This has slowly become my daily wearer. Simple, classic design and tough as nails...

89B69393-A013-4301-8895-59293345FA04.thumb.jpeg.7a264c268ce620229cbad392262d4553.jpeg

Same. I don't like the new model (79230N). I switch the 79220N in and out as daily with my 16710 GMTII. They are both just so comfortable to wear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i just don't get the premium prices for the gmtII stainless and the submariner stainless.  i would like to get one, but getting on a waitlist seems to be a lottery that takes a year....anyone have better luck without being a VIP buyer at a retailer?  

on another note, i noticed that a few of my friends that are into horology, have stopped wearing their mechanical pieces and gravitated towards the apple watch.  will the digital ones take the place of the mechanical? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mrmessy said:

i just don't get the premium prices for the gmtII stainless and the submariner stainless.  i would like to get one, but getting on a waitlist seems to be a lottery that takes a year....anyone have better luck without being a VIP buyer at a retailer?  

on another note, i noticed that a few of my friends that are into horology, have stopped wearing their mechanical pieces and gravitated towards the apple watch.  will the digital ones take the place of the mechanical? 

You just have to have good timing. You mean premium in the grey sales, correct? Yeah just keep looking at the ADs. You'll get lucky eventually. Or some of the big grey sellers/retailers online have some decent prices. It depends on how bad you want it, and if you don't mind getting a used one.

As for me, I cannot stand smart watches, but I understand why they wear them. Convenience. Call me old fashioned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mrmessy said:

i just don't get the premium prices for the gmtII stainless and the submariner stainless.  i would like to get one, but getting on a waitlist seems to be a lottery that takes a year....anyone have better luck without being a VIP buyer at a retailer?  

on another note, i noticed that a few of my friends that are into horology, have stopped wearing their mechanical pieces and gravitated towards the apple watch.  will the digital ones take the place of the mechanical? 

The grey market premiums on Subs and GMTs are peanuts compared to the SS Daytona which is priced now at over 20K usd. 5K more and you can buy gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i personally despise Apple watches but ti each his own. i sold all my Rolex watches made money and bought my bucket list watches 2 APs. Without the crazy Tolex market never coulda had them. So its all good as far as I am concerned Rolex watches particulary stainless sport watches are sb excellent investment. Going nowhere but up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love this thread and hereby show my fifth one, acquired yesterday here in La Jolla, California. 33rd Wedding Anniversary with Mr Beaver!

9F4F8AF5-90C2-40A0-8E08-B42C5E07B5C9.thumb.jpeg.afdb8383d766c537e84c5573f661a2f9.jpeg

CB

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.