Let's talk about watches...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lange 1 in rose gold. Took a little while to arrive.

The only priceless watch in my collection. My Mom told me if I graduated college w a 4.0 GPA she would buy me whatever watch I wanted for graduation. It proved to be good motivation and my Dad almost

New early 40th birthday gift for myself. Omega Seamaster Diver 300  

Guest Nekhyludov

My first - and only - investment in a luxury watch. 2013 Datejust II in stainless steel and white gold.

I only wish I could have found one with the jubilee bracelet.

20170803_220457.thumb.jpg.f0902f57f419362c2eabd71a2c5b998f.jpg

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

So close. 

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Should have had the docs take out a kidney whilst you were in hospital. That would have paid for part of that Panerai.

You liver on the other hand is worthless! :P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SirVantes said:

Just close? What stopped you from going the whole hog? Or rather, the whole Pig?

Of all things, a hitch in the money transfer. Should be worked out in the coming week. I had my hands full this week :D

Has anyone been to the watch factories in CH?  I have family in Biel and watch manufacturing and supporting industries are big source of income.  The Omega facility is pretty large and impressive, as is Brietling and Rado.  Those two have very hip architecture.  The run way associated with flying aspect of Brietling is like right next store.  It's a grass runway if memory serves right.  Swatch is the biggest player in town along with Rolex and Omega.  Ton of smaller brands are scattered around the city and neighboring towns.

4 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Has anyone been to the watch factories in CH?  I have family in Biel and watch manufacturing and supporting industries are big source of income.  The Omega facility is pretty large and impressive, as is Brietling and Rado.  Those two have very hip architecture.  The run way associated with flying aspect of Brietling is like right next store.  It's a grass runway if memory serves right.  Swatch is the biggest player in town along with Rolex and Omega.  Ton of smaller brands are scattered around the city and neighboring towns.

Rolex is a very secretive company, and I don't think they offer tours. In fact they have a highly secure floor underground which houses more 24 karat gold bars than Fort Knox. A Google search will bring up some good reads on Rolex and their facilities.

1 hour ago, NYgarman said:

Rolex is a very secretive company, and I don't think they offer tours. In fact they have a highly secure floor underground which houses more 24 karat gold bars than Fort Knox. A Google search will bring up some good reads on Rolex and their facilities.

My cousin has seen parts of the factory.  There is a lot IP that they want to protect, so sure those parts are very secure.  They have had a few big robberies in which cases were stolen and they have to watch employees carefully...  They'll steal part by part and eventually have a Rolex...  He's been offered the opportunity to buy prototype Rolexes over the years.  The tooling use in each phase is quite cool and pricey at that!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, luv2fly said:

So close I can taste it!!!:D  One more year of saving and no cigar purchases.  It will be worth it.

304.30.44.52.01.001_main.jpg

Omega offers a lot of complication for the money.  

I keep coming back to this watch.  On fence about purchasing it.  I love the design, but the case is really thick:

0007005-0-Large?context=bWFzdGVyfGltYWdl

Watches have been my passion for probably 45+ years. I have owned quite a few Rolex watches, including a Double Red SeaDweller, a couple of 1680 subs and a Paul Newman Daytona. To let you know how long ago that was, all of the above were bought new for 500-750.00 USD!! Still have the DRSD and one 1680 sub. Rolex quite servicing these years ago, so I only wear them occasionally. Right now, my wearers are a Rolex GMT 16750, Maurice Lacroix Reveil Globe and a Rolex GMT 116710. I have gotten into smaller brand "boutique" watches over the past few years. My favorites are MKII Kingston's and Key West GMT and a couple of Ocean 7 dive watches. I have owned a couple of Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore chronos, but honestly they were the most uncomfortable, top heavy watches I have ever worn. They didn't stay in my collection very long and were traded.
I have gotten to the point where I want watches that can be worn comfortably and have some utility. Probably why I own more GMT's than anything else. My "beater", wear outside doing yard work, working in my shop, etc. is a Marathon TSAR Quartz. Rugged as hell and being quartz is accurate and doesn't need any attention.
Here are a few from my collection.
48990adbd728da883d387aeefa8f8590.jpg05869c9bef234311fb91719171448340.jpgcaaa02a6569abe207226cd4f27bb50d0.jpgb8e128249c3d76394dedbc8dfbb52ee6.jpg375cfeede7609af8ac208b79731b7f51.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

3 hours ago, oakalley said:

Watches have been my passion for probably 45+ years. I have owned quite a few Rolex watches, including a Double Red SeaDweller, a couple of 1680 subs and a Paul Newman Daytona. To let you know how long ago that was, all of the above were bought new for 500-750.00 USD!! Still have the DRSD and one 1680 sub. Rolex quite servicing these years ago, so I only wear them occasionally. Right now, my wearers are a Rolex GMT 16750, Maurice Lacroix Reveil Globe and a Rolex GMT 116710. I have gotten into smaller brand "boutique" watches over the past few years. My favorites are MKII Kingston's and Key West GMT and a couple of Ocean 7 dive watches. I have owned a couple of Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore chronos, but honestly they were the most uncomfortable, top heavy watches I have ever worn. They didn't stay in my collection very long and were traded.
I have gotten to the point where I want watches that can be worn comfortably and have some utility. Probably why I own more GMT's than anything else. My "beater", wear outside doing yard work, working in my shop, etc. is a Marathon TSAR Quartz. Rugged as hell and being quartz is accurate and doesn't need any attention.
Here are a few from my collection.
48990adbd728da883d387aeefa8f8590.jpg05869c9bef234311fb91719171448340.jpgcaaa02a6569abe207226cd4f27bb50d0.jpgb8e128249c3d76394dedbc8dfbb52ee6.jpg375cfeede7609af8ac208b79731b7f51.jpg

I belong to a well known watch forum and can give you a few great referrals for independent CW21 watchmakers who can/will service your older Rolex pieces and use genuine Rolex parts.

I belong to a well known watch forum and can give you a few great referrals for independent CW21 watchmakers who can/will service your older Rolex pieces and use genuine Rolex parts.

Thanks very much. I have used Bob Ridley in Arlington TX in the past with great results. Problem is, it's getting really expensive to service those old watches from the 1960's and 70's. I don't wear mine much anymore after I hit the crystal on my DRSD on a steel door jam and cracked the crystal. Cracked below the insert and a few weeks later, I got it wet and the crystal fogged. Pretty much wear them now in less "stressful" environments!! Even OEM crystals for these are really old and pretty brittle. None of my watches are "safe queens" just not everyday wearers. I used to dive on a regular basis with the seadweller and sub, but now I use something "replaceable"
Thanks again, sir.

My latest I said to my self I would never purchase another Oris but at the price point it's hard to say no ,picked up this one in singapore a month or so ago the only one in the city just been released just took me a while to get used to the size after the pro diver ?IMG_3616.thumb.PNG.2405aef091de8c3bf3122577defb28c7.PNGIMG_3755.thumb.JPG.00e338adc550751c4129f33eadb25469.JPGIMG_3756.thumb.JPG.93095e07dc7eb657dbe771309692e10e.JPGIMG_3584.thumb.JPG.b003ef6f8131fe95695621c6bf5233c3.JPGIMG_3586.thumb.JPG.79f028363e90b4a4678f9ac120fe7b5f.JPGIMG_3968.thumb.JPG.5d24ab97b7e5f01330e99a8e8ef9f3fb.JPG

• Like 4

That ORIS is perty :)

I only own two tag heuer watches that are both quartz. I love them both but when i bought them years ago i had no clue about watch movements.  Im dying to buy a mechanical now. Not sure why really though!

3 minutes ago, Cep said:

That ORIS is perty :)

I only own two tag heuer watches that are both quartz. I love them both but when i bought them years ago i had no clue about watch movements.  Im dying to buy a mechanical now. Not sure why really though!

"Mechanicals" can be repaired now, in twenty years time, or in a century.  They don't get thrown away.  No batteries needed.  No corroded circuits.  No chance of needing a battery replacement when you are out and about and 1,000 miles form the nearest shop.  It's perhaps not the most advanced technology on the planet, but then, neither are shoe laces, belts or spectacles ... and yet, most of us wouldn't think of doing without those.  

As for Oris, a quick wrist shot of my last purchase:

IMG_3822.jpg.fb9563ed287c2953d6f83cbdbef55ea9.jpg

It sits well on my wrist, is not too heavy and is beautifully legible....

• Like 1

On 8/5/2017 at 10:42 PM, NYgarman said:

I have brought watches (and sometimes friends watches) to Biel and get them serviced locally.  

• JohnS changed the title to Let's talk about watches...