Let's talk about watches...

36 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

That looks like a 1960/70s model Seastar.

4 minutes ago, Bram Smoker said:

That’s a nice little Swiss automatic right there. I believe this Seastar is circa 1970. Fun shape case with a nice date window at the three. The movement is cal 2481. It’s a great watch to wear around and think of your dad, but from a dollar standpoint I think excellent examples go for around $500. 

Thanks guys. My eyesight sucks...I couldn’t read the word “Seastar” on the watch until I saw it in the photo, lol. A google search quickly shows just how many versions of the Seastar there’ve been over the years, wow. 

So I’m noticing that as I move it around to look at it, the second hand starts moving. I guess that’s the automatic feature in action. :ok:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lange 1 in rose gold. Took a little while to arrive.

The only priceless watch in my collection. My Mom told me if I graduated college w a 4.0 GPA she would buy me whatever watch I wanted for graduation. It proved to be good motivation and my Dad almost

New early 40th birthday gift for myself. Omega Seamaster Diver 300  

1 minute ago, Islandboy said:

Thanks guys. My eyesight sucks...I couldn’t read the word “Seastar” on the watch until I saw it in the photo, lol. A google search quickly shows just how many versions of the Seastar there’ve been over the years, wow. 

So I’m noticing that as I move it around to look at it, the second hand starts moving. I guess that’s the automatic feature in action. :ok:

Yea, that is the automatic feature. Automatic watches differ from mechanical, on the most basic level, by using what looks like a half moon that spins around when you move and powers the movement. So when you see pictures of the movement in that watch, that’s is what you will see. Mechanical require hand winding. 

5 hours ago, Islandboy said:

If it has been lying in the box for years, you may want to have a watchmaker give it a nice clean and lube.  That way, it will be good for another few decades...

• 1 month later...

What are y'all's preferred online retailers for watches these days?  It's a sea of shops online, and hard to sort the good from the bad.  I'm asking about retailers/grey marketers, not private sellers.  Is there an FOH of the watchworld? ?

12 minutes ago, PapaDisco said:

What are y'all's preferred online retailers for watches these days?  It's a sea of shops online, and hard to sort the good from the bad.  I'm asking about retailers/grey marketers, not private sellers.  Is there an FOH of the watchworld? ?

watchuseek, thewatchforum, timezone, watchtalkforums, tz-uk.

Chrono 24 is a good starting point. Several purchases. All good so far Hope you find what you are looking for

late 60sVietnam rea seikos are some of the most underated and underpriced watches in existance

Would love to see Tudor make the pelagos ldh in SS. Don’t own a nice watch but that might change if they ever make one. If not, Oris or maybe a Sinn are what I like that I could personally justify spending the coin on. 

i just don't get the premium prices for the gmtII stainless and the submariner stainless.  i would like to get one, but getting on a waitlist seems to be a lottery that takes a year....anyone have better luck without being a VIP buyer at a retailer?  

on another note, i noticed that a few of my friends that are into horology, have stopped wearing their mechanical pieces and gravitated towards the apple watch.  will the digital ones take the place of the mechanical? 

27 minutes ago, mrmessy said:

i just don't get the premium prices for the gmtII stainless and the submariner stainless.  i would like to get one, but getting on a waitlist seems to be a lottery that takes a year....anyone have better luck without being a VIP buyer at a retailer?  

on another note, i noticed that a few of my friends that are into horology, have stopped wearing their mechanical pieces and gravitated towards the apple watch.  will the digital ones take the place of the mechanical? 

You just have to have good timing. You mean premium in the grey sales, correct? Yeah just keep looking at the ADs. You'll get lucky eventually. Or some of the big grey sellers/retailers online have some decent prices. It depends on how bad you want it, and if you don't mind getting a used one.

As for me, I cannot stand smart watches, but I understand why they wear them. Convenience. Call me old fashioned

3 hours ago, mrmessy said:

The grey market premiums on Subs and GMTs are peanuts compared to the SS Daytona which is priced now at over 20K usd. 5K more and you can buy gold.

i personally despise Apple watches but ti each his own. i sold all my Rolex watches made money and bought my bucket list watches 2 APs. Without the crazy Tolex market never coulda had them. So its all good as far as I am concerned Rolex watches particulary stainless sport watches are sb excellent investment. Going nowhere but up

14 hours ago, mrmessy said:

Go to Singapore and you can buy either model at retail on like every street corner.  So many Rolex dealers there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• JohnS changed the title to Let's talk about watches...