You have a watch that will continue to increase in value. Guaranteed 

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lange 1 in rose gold. Took a little while to arrive.

The only priceless watch in my collection. My Mom told me if I graduated college w a 4.0 GPA she would buy me whatever watch I wanted for graduation. It proved to be good motivation and my Dad almost

New early 40th birthday gift for myself. Omega Seamaster Diver 300  

On 2/27/2019 at 8:24 AM, MountainMilG said:

We had a good relationship with our local jeweler (they made my wife's rings and my ring) went on their list for my sub, and once we were "ready" they hemmed and hawed a bit.  We went on several other lists, but then our AD came through after about 2 months.  Ironically, on our honeymoon in Israel I saw my exact sub in the case at the Waldorf in Jerusalem we stayed at.  So if you want to fly to Israel there's at least one to be had? lol.  I was willing to wait, and even wait past the day (it's her wedding gift to me), so I didn't care, but if you're willing to be flexible and keep an eye on rolexforums you can probably see where things come in.  I've seen way more of the gold daytonas in my travels the last year or so than subs, but I have seen bluesy's, and I haven't seen gmt in the wild in a while now - years.

I have an iPhone, but personally hate how the apple watch looks.  I wore a fitbit for awhile, but rotated back to mechanicals.  To me they are different things for different places, but I think many these days (I'm in my 40's) don't have a problem dressing up with an apple watch (personally not my thing) and don't see the point in spending thousands on a mechanical watch.

interesting options.  travel overseas or buy the less popular stainless/gold combinations.  :)  i guess i'll be sitting on the waitlists w/ fingers crossed until i make a trip overseas.  

5 minutes ago, dobbs said:

i’m not surprised there are some super-nice watches in this thread. this is mine, at work and just took the pic:

CD2D9E12-233E-46B3-A0B1-65F859C45F17.thumb.jpeg.bebe4b25c6bd1ad6034bde6ecd69da50.jpeg

sinn 556 on bracelet, and i wear it everyday.

-dobbs

I love Sinn. Always been on my short list. I’m signed up for the local WatchBuys road show next week :yes:

44 minutes ago, slowsmoke said:

I love Sinn. Always been on my short list. I’m signed up for the local WatchBuys road show next week :yes:

nice, i wanted to go to the one here in the bay, but it was my brother’s birthday. they sound like a good opportunity to see a bunch of models. i really want an ezm-13, probably soon.

-dobbs

23 hours ago, NYgarman said:

Do you realize mint condition ones like yours are fetching over 20K USD ?? Especially with flat "4" bezels. What letter does the serial number start with? Is it an "F" or "Y"?

I spy a F serial number sticker on the box.

1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Portofino?  Looks old. Neat.

It’s an 854 from the mid ‘60s. One of the first really good automatic movements, designed by Albert Pellaton. I like the super clean aesthetic.

On 3/1/2019 at 1:07 PM, NYgarman said:

You have a watch that will continue to increase in value. Guaranteed 

Well, maybe I’ll sell it then. If it can fetch that kind of money. I’ll never wear it anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

We had my dads gold Omega Seamaster refurbed and serviced. He has worn it pretty much every day. 

He bought in in 1963 :D

Now that is my kind of watch. I had a similar steel Seamaster from the late 50s that belonged to my grandpa... until some b*****d stole it in the mail. Anyway, nothing looks better with smart evening dress than a watch like that. But it can also be worn with jeans. Classy, beautiful! Maybe Di should wear it?

• Like 1

great watch wish i still had my stsinless example Speaking of stainless Zi picked up this beauty on a trade yezterday 2016 year model green gmt hand and some green  GMT marking Like new and price was right considering. I had sworn off Rolex in favor of an all AP collection but i had to have this one. My lpermanent vacation from Tolex lasted exactly 4 months

A8CCA5C0-D3AB-4850-AEF2-7FC5A94F172E.jpeg

51360953-C598-4979-9D28-F9A4A7D10C36.jpeg

27257C6D-4B8D-490D-8F03-3FACCE45DF4D.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Winchester21 said:

great watch wish i still had my stsinless example Speaking of stainless Zi picked up this beauty on a trade yezterday 2016 year model green gmt hand and some green  GMT marking Like new and price was right considering...

A8CCA5C0-D3AB-4850-AEF2-7FC5A94F172E.jpeg

GMT is a useful feature.

i have ownrd every Rolex  in the product line at one time with the exception of the Yacjhmaster and the Milglass I keep going back to the GMT master. Wears on my wrist a little better than the sub and has truly usefil fratures particulary if u travel. Great watch

• Like 1

I saw a neat stainless steel watch, but what caught my eye is they said they apply a .03 micron "clear pvd coating" on the watch.  Is this normal with stainless watches? 

https://creuxautomatiq.com/product/diamondback-ca-07-pre-order/

7 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I saw a neat stainless steel watch, but what caught my eye is they said they apply a .03 micron "clear pvd coating" on the watch.  Is this normal with stainless watches? 

https://creuxautomatiq.com/product/diamondback-ca-07-pre-order/

It is common. PVD (physical Vapor Deposition) or DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) coatings have been around for decades. If you see a stainless steel watch that is black, that's a PVD coating. DLC coating are better than PVD, harder and better wear resistance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fuzz said:

If you see a stainless steel watch that is black, that's a PVD coating. DLC coating are better than PVD, harder and better wear resistance.

I am familiar with the coatings on colored watches, but clear?  I have family that does these coatings in Switzerland, but to me it seems odd to have it clear.

5 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I am familiar with the coatings on colored watches, but clear?  I have family that does these coatings in Switzerland, but to me it seems odd to have it clear.

Probably using a silicon oxide coating, if it is to be clear. Not really that odd. Lots of things get coated nowadays. If you've ever been around metals that are exposed to the elements (eg marine fixtures, car wheels, light fixtures, etc), a lot of them do have a coating to increase wear resistance and corrosion.

4 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Probably using a silicon oxide coating, if it is to be clear. Not really that odd. Lots of things get coated nowadays. If you've ever been around metals that are exposed to the elements (eg marine fixtures, car wheels, light fixtures, etc), a lot of them do have a coating to increase wear resistance and corrosion.

I have a Titanium watch that is coated, so maybe not so uncommon then.  I think that watch they may have added some tint to it.

As an aside, that watch I put in the link is pretty sharp, no?

• JohnS changed the title to Let's talk about watches...