Let's talk about watches...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lange 1 in rose gold. Took a little while to arrive.

The only priceless watch in my collection. My Mom told me if I graduated college w a 4.0 GPA she would buy me whatever watch I wanted for graduation. It proved to be good motivation and my Dad almost

New early 40th birthday gift for myself. Omega Seamaster Diver 300  

Thanks to @MIKA27, my wife got into the Kickstarter campaign for the Trafford watch. I’ve got the racing green one coming. Looking forward to seeing it in person. The story behind these roadster watches is pretty cool. 
IMG_5651.JPG?format=2500w

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

Thanks to @MIKA27, my wife got into the Kickstarter campaign for the Trafford watch. I’ve got the racing green one coming. Looking forward to seeing it in person. The story behind these roadster watches is pretty cool. 
IMG_5651.JPG?format=2500w

Those are really cool. Might have to preorder/kickstarter one myself.

• Like 2

My Casio G-Shock DW-6600 (the model previously issued to US Navy Seals) has decided it no longer wanted to be indestructible... and self-destructed.

DW-6600.jpg.14090a71685a82648615385caeb635fb.jpg

Lucky I can still get genuine parts for this model (model was discontinued in 2010) so I can repair it.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

My Casio G-Shock DW-6600 (the model previously issued to US Navy Seals) has decided it no longer wanted to be indestructible... and self-destructed.

Obviously the Fuzz life is tougher than a Seals Op.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Digi said:

The Perrelet Skeleton watches are some of my favorite designs.  Watched them for many, many years and finally had a chance to pull the trigger!  Other than needing a slightly larger band, it is pure mechanical joy to behold :)

Image from iOS (1).jpg

Not very popular in the US; they never really caught on.  Rare to see someone with them here.

I know they are popular in Switzerland.  A lot of value for the workmanship.

• 2 months later...

Love not having to worry about changing time. Although when I do, I always have to watch a YouTube video to figure it out. Not the friendliest user interface on this watch. 

image.jpg

On 4/2/2021 at 5:17 AM, ZigZauer said:

I prefer blue tone watches.

Currently I am wearing an Oris baikal diver watch
adf75fd3d3cfe945e9c28ccf159da2cb.jpg
My favorite is Breitling Navitimer pan am version

I1e4320ad1f5bc473bf27d75ef5904eaf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love Oris. I believe they are one of the most underrated watch companies. Their releases are always so beautiful. Especially the blue colors they have. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jackinkc said:

Love not having to worry about changing time. Although when I do, I always have to watch a YouTube video to figure it out. Not the friendliest user interface on this watch. 

image.jpg

I love the fancy quartz Swiss watches.  They've become additionally collectable too from Breitling, Rolex, IWC and Omega. 

Does that Breitling have two movements?  I have a X33 with a hand and digital movement.  Both are quartz and independent.  Pain setting the time and eventually they are not in sync. 

I too like Titanium and like not winding.  See you have both accomplished as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy_jack said:

Well this is certainly not up to the level of watches I am seeing here. My boys saved their money and got me this watch for Father’s Day. They know I like to watch F1 and also know I’m a fan of Ferrari. They’re good boys. 

526C89EA-3B02-4FCA-8A94-344E80330004.jpeg

I have a bunch of watches, but only one that I consider “priceless” because of who gave it to me. That is the highest level a watch can get to, the rest is insured and just tells time anyway! Well done on your boys! 👍🏻 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jimmy_jack said:

Well this is certainly not up to the level of watches I am seeing here. My boys saved their money and got me this watch for Father’s Day. They know I like to watch F1 and also know I’m a fan of Ferrari. They’re good boys. 

idk but this looks like the highest level watch I've seen on this thread :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jimmy_jack said:

Best watch in the entire thread. 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Jimmy_jack said:

They sure are good boys, you must be a good father and that IS a beautiful watch - enjoy !!

• Like 1

I love watches. I own eight analogue movement at the moment. 

I once had a really nice looking watch in mind from a major name. 

My Russian jewelry dealer could get if for me. 

"Meeech, he said, why do you wand dees watch?"

"The minute you wear it it will lose half of it's value"

"There are only three watches that keep 95% or more of their value, Patek, Audemars Piguet Royal Oak, and Rolex Steel GMT". 

So I have now gone with my friend Boris' advice. 

My brother the retired doctor, a watch expert and noted watch trader, later told me Boris is 100% correct. 

10 minutes ago, Fsonicsmith said:

I love watches. I own eight analogue movement at the moment. 

I once had a really nice looking watch in mind from a major name. 

My Russian jewelry dealer could get if for me. 

"Meeech, he said, why do you wand dees watch?"

"The minute you wear it it will lose half of it's value"

"There are only three watches that keep 95% or more of their value, Patek, Audemars Piguet Royal Oak, and Rolex Steel GMT". 

So I have now gone with my friend Boris' advice. 

My brother the retired doctor, a watch expert and noted watch trader, later told me Boris is 100% correct. 

100% agree with this, exception of Rolex steel in general, not just the GMT. Regardless of value, if you love it or it was given as a gift depreciation doesn’t matter!

• Like 1

If you really want to stir up some dust, bring up watch winders. Good and durable ones are insanely expensive. Half of the horology inclined say they are unnecessary and lead to more wear of the movement and the other half say "well, any such increased wear is negligible and it is better to keep the movement oil from gumming up". I am in the latter camp, I use a Wolf Heritage 8.

1 hour ago, rguinn said:

100% agree with this, exception of Rolex steel in general, not just the GMT. Regardless of value, if you love it or it was given as a gift depreciation doesn’t matter!

My solid YG Submariner bought July'17 is easily worth 10K more than the price I paid. All Rolex are in demand and prices are sky high. Doesn't matter new or used. But I bought mine to keep for life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fsonicsmith said:

"well, any such increased wear is negligible and it is better to keep the movement oil from gumming up". I am in the latter camp, I use a Wolf Heritage 8.

I didn't think that the modern lubricants used in watch making could gum up?

9 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I didn't think that the modern lubricants used in watch making could gum up?

They still dry up/gum up. 7-10 years is the most you can hope for according to the experts before your watch will slow and you need a cleaning/lube which tends to be $500-800 but can be even more depending on watch and jeweler. A Rolex sent back to Rolex for cleaning/lube can be $1000 US. 

In real life, a lot of less expensive analogue movements are not cleaned and yet continue to run fine. But if the watch is collectible, the wiser move is to have it serviced. Just my opinion here and not stated as fact. 

I also am a connoisseur of Swiss watches. I’ve had Tag, Breitling, Tudor, several Omegas, and I’ve settled on Rolex at the moment. Had a couple of Datejusts, an Explorer 1 and now I go back and forth between a ceramic Sub and this ….74951f8e2b888ab8ba78a5254e62505e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If your watch needs service, consider using Tourneau.  They include an additional year of warranty (over other vendors) and cost about the same as sending to the manufacturer.  Often times they just send to manufacturer to do the work.  Not the fastest turn around though 😞