Let's talk about watches...

16 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I didn't think that the modern lubricants used in watch making could gum up?

Nope. Modern synthetic movement lubricants don't gum up like the old mineral oils. But they can migrate from their pivot points in due time due to a movement sitting for a long time. 

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lange 1 in rose gold. Took a little while to arrive.

The only priceless watch in my collection. My Mom told me if I graduated college w a 4.0 GPA she would buy me whatever watch I wanted for graduation. It proved to be good motivation and my Dad almost

New early 40th birthday gift for myself. Omega Seamaster Diver 300  

3 hours ago, NYgarman said:

Nope. Modern synthetic movement lubricants don't gum up like the old mineral oils. But they can migrate from their pivot points in due time due to a movement sitting for a long time. 

This is interesting - didn't have a free winder for the Perrelet that I bought last October.  Just last week, when I wind it up, the second hand doesn't start kicking until it's been on my wrist for a few minutes.  It's stored upright on a pad but still...

11 hours ago, OchoZacho said:

I also am a connoisseur of Swiss watches. I’ve had Tag, Breitling, Tudor, several Omegas, and I’ve settled on Rolex at the moment. Had a couple of Datejusts, an Explorer 1 and now I go back and forth between a ceramic Sub and this ….74951f8e2b888ab8ba78a5254e62505e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice. That is the newest version with the 3285 70 hour movement based on the Jubilee band though I have to wonder if you have not placed a Jubilee band on an older GMT II based on how the colors appear in that photo. I have a 2020 Batman. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, jsavoie88 said:

I do too! I prefer the oyster bracelet over the jubilee. Good luck on your search. They are hard to find (at MSRP especially).

Any Rolex is now virtually impossible to get at msrp unless you are VIP and spend in excess of 6 figures at your local AD. A stainless Daytona $13,400, is now being listed by grey and resellers for over 30K USD. Absolutely crazy! My 116618LB Submariner now lists for close to 40K, and the watch is now discontinued and msrp was 34,250 !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYgarman said:

Any Rolex is now virtually impossible to get at msrp unless you are VIP and spend in excess of 6 figures at your local AD. A stainless Daytona $13,400, is now being listed by grey and resellers for over 30K USD. Absolutely crazy! My 116618LB Submariner now lists for close to 40K, and the watch is now discontinued and msrp was 34,250 !!

The local dealer in Biel, CH (where Rolex is made) will only sell the fancier models to locals that won't flip the watch.  Rolex gets pissed if they see new serial numbers floating around the grey market and may limit how many of the hot watches that dealer will get if they are selling to flippers.

3 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

The local dealer in Biel, CH (where Rolex is made) will only sell the fancier models to locals that won't flip the watch.  Rolex gets pissed if they see new serial numbers floating around the grey market and may limit how many of the hot watches that dealer will get if they are selling to flippers.

Many Rolex AD's are selling new models out the back door to resellers. This is why the average Joe who walks in the front door sees nothing but completely empty display cases with nothing to try on and nothing to buy. The optics are horrible. But look on Chrono24 and other online retail sites and there are thousands of new Rolex for sale at ridiculous inflated secondary market prices. 

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Lrabold89 said:

I’ve got a Hamilton khaki king fogging up after 8 years of ownership …..what to do? It was only around $650….worth spending $200+ for service? …or try to de-fog and trade it in and get something else ?

How much do you like it? 

1 hour ago, Lrabold89 said:

Not nearly as much as I used to …I’m not attached to it

Then leave it in a Tupperware with dessicant with the crown pulled out for a week or so and sell it on/trade it in and get into something else. 

• Like 3