Guitar Rock Classics

El Presidente

» » Anyone ever listen to Al DiMeola?

» DiMeola reminds me of a few other guitarists mentioned in this thread -

» technically

» proficient, with an indisputable mastery of the fretboard - but whom I

» personally find

» a bit robotic and lacking feel.

You got Al right! Play amazingly fast but not very soulful.;-)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another vote for Alex Lifeson, here's one my favorite solos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csLQJtggrZU

I have my 10 y.o. son taking guitar lessons as I should have when I was his age. I picked him up a 1959 Gibson Melody Maker !! I have 15 guitars but he has to be the one to play them. David Gilmour is

Joe Walsh Keith Richards And for my son, Jeff... Slash.

Great names above.

It's tough to beat Warren Haynes in my mind. Gotta be the hardest-working guy in rock music right now (2 bands and a solo career).

I wouldn't normally recommend watching anything involving the Dave Matthews Band, but a buddy of mine showed me their Central Park concert DVD a while back. WH came out to play Neil Young's "Cortez The Killer" with them. Blew my socks right off.

Well, I wasn't wearing socks, but you get the picture.

»

» This isn't rock per se, but Brad Paisley is one of the best guitar players

» in music right now. He usually records at least one instrumental in each

» album with his guitar playing. That guy's damn good -- nobody can play

» faster either.

Yeah, a lot of those country guys just hold their guitar & have 3 other guitarists in their back up band, but Paisley can really play. But IMHO, the best country player is Willie Nelson. Incredibly under rated. He plays some very comples flamingo style guitar.

Bassman...I was a closet Willie fan for many years..used to see him at least once a year when he came to town. He picked that old acoustic with the hole wore thru it with a sound all it's own and he was damn good !!!

• 1 year later...

» Came across an old favourite yesterday in Frank Zappa's "My Guitar wants to

» kill your mama".

Rob....Frank Zappa, OMG, I'm impressed! My favorite Zappa album (done with The Mothers) for years was "Weasels Ripped My Flesh".

Two of my favorite guitar solos of all time are Martin Barre on Jethro Tull's "Aqualung", and the late Terry Kath on Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4"

image3225.jpg

• 3 years later...

One of my all time favourite guitarists is Michael Schenker, ex Scorpions, UFO. He's been playing under his name now for decades in the "MIchael Schenker Group". This instrumental is probably one of the best all time hard rock/heavy metal instrumentals ever performed.

"Into The Arena"

With UFO way back in the 70's. "Lights Out"

• 3 months later...

So, so many to name... But 1 of my all time favourites, Peter Green.

We could be brothers. Not too many people know that the Original

'Fleetwood Mac' was a straight up blues band. Green replaced Clapton in John

Mayall's Bluesbreakers where he played with Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. Shortly thereafter the three would go on to form the nidus of 'Fleetwood Mac'

Mick Taylor had some pretty cools licks when he was with the stones... the best stones era imo.

My favorite era of the Stones as well. Saw Mick Taylor's blues band in Seattle mid 1990. Sick chops. Listen to 'Sway' on Sticky Fingers and you'll know what I'm talking about...

One of my all time favourite guitarists is Michael Schenker, ex Scorpions, UFO. He's been playing under his name now for decades in the "MIchael Schenker Group". This instrumental is probably one of the best all time hard rock/heavy metal instrumentals ever performed.

"Into The Arena"

With UFO way back in the 70's. "Lights Out"

The album is 'Force It'. The song is 'Mother Mary'. Dig it.

Eric Johnson....Cliffs of Dover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAF2b6fcAQc

I met EJ in a vintage guitar store in B'ham, AL back in 2003 or 2004 and saw him play at Workplay. The most humble and unassuming guy-- you'd never know he was this famous guitar player. We jammed for an hour. It seemed like only minutes. Yup, I played 'Steppin Out' with EJ. It was.... PRICELESS!

If you play guitar and haven't seen/heard Monte Montgomery or Tommy Emmanuel... you should. There was this Guitar Player magazine article way back that listed the Top 50 best guitar players of all time. On that list was Tommy Emmanuel. Most of the other musicians got a paragraph or so dedicated to them. Tommy got 1 sentence and it went something like "You've never heard of him, but he's better than you." I had the privilege of seeing him play back in the early 2000's s well. He was booked in a local Private School's Auditorium which was packed to capacity. In attendance were mostly accomplished guitar players and their families and friends. I've never seen so many dumb-founded musicians in one place before or since. Unbelievable.

Tommy Emmanuel:

http://youtu.be/JNZL7GkqeRI

http://youtu.be/8VTrlpN9S1Y

Monte Montgomery: