Tasting and Ageing Experiment: SLR Double Corona

El Presidente

» Rob are we required to give our opinions in some sort of format?

»

» By that I mean do you have any checklist when tasting.

»

» Also is there a set way by which you come up with a total figure.

» eg.86/100

»

» Please explain so we can all do the best possible review.

»

» Cheers

Nugget I will have a set format determined for the reviews inclusive of a flavour wheel of descriptions to use.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

» Nugget I will have a set format determined for the reviews inclusive of a

» flavour wheel of descriptions to use.

Damn...this **** even comes with instructions ! Rob I think you should send out 2 or 3 boxes to each participant so we can practice :lol2:

Well Crap! I have mixed feeling about taking on this honor. If I do this does that mean I have to stop giving Rob ****? I hope not. I had a nice SLRDC last night at the pool and loved it. Years ago I had a chance to pick up on some ones with age from Rob and have kicked myself in the tail many a times for not getting all that could be had.

Thanks Rob.

And Ken I'm not to sure I would tell a SLR ***** like yourslf if I had any either.;-)

• 5 months later...

Niiiicceee!! I will e-mail Lise tomorrow! Thanks again Rob! Recently quit smoking cigarettes(22 days now) and will be trying this cigar on a fresh pallette. Have smoked a few cigars since quiting and have already noticed a big difference in taste. TD

» Niiiicceee!! I will e-mail Lise tomorrow! Thanks again Rob! Recently quit

» smoking cigarettes(22 days now) and will be trying this cigar on a fresh

» pallette. Have smoked a few cigars since quiting and have already noticed

» a big difference in taste. TD

What!!! You mean I won't be able to bum a cigarette from you the next time I'm in Phoenix for a herf? Damn.

How did I miss this thread until now?

Good choice of cigar. The SLR DC is one of several that I would have nominated for this longitudinal, developmental assessment. The Partagas Lusitania, Cohiba Esplendido, Upmann Sir Winston, and Romeo Churchill are some others. Now what do these cigars have in common?

Obviously, they all have the physical length to provide the smoker with a memorable 'journey' over the course of at least an hour and a half. This is a sufficient time frame to reveal both the level of maturity and degree of complexity in the smoke.

These are also cigars which traditionally don't smoke well when young, but only begin to show themselves after several years. Hopefully these 'sleepers' will develop slowly but surely over the five year span of this experiment.

Each of these cigars has a vintage 'benchmark' against which our 2007 sample can be judged. In the case of the SLR Double Corona, that year is 2001, the undisputed high water mark for this vitola. Those of us who have sampled the early '07 SLR's seem to agree that these have unusually great promise, and may even surpass the '01s in time. If they fulfill our expectations, they will truly become classics.

The Saint Luis Rey Doble Corona is an ideal candidate for this project.

» » How did I miss this thread until now?

» »

» Pssst.... Shrink..... Uh......

»

» » This is another excellent, and creative idea. Nice to be part of the

» » action!

»

» :-D

Good to see your attention's right on there, Bob.

"Mmmhmm. Yes. Tell me more about your mother. Yes you never had one. Of course I knew that. Tell me how that feels to not have a mother. Ope there's all our time for this week..."

• 2 weeks later...

» » I have a question for the other participants...where and how are you

» » storing your review cigars?

»

» In a desktop, set off to the side with a sheet of cedar, humidifed with

» 65% beads is my answer.

Thanks, Tim.

I have mine naked in a box of loose Habanos in one of my intermediate storage coolers. In the basement, 67%, 61F.

Wilkey

» My specimen arrived today. Smells great!

»

» I have a question for the other participants...where and how are you

» storing your review cigars?

»

» Wilkey

Good question. Care needs to be taken for the cigar to be able to show its self well. I have mine in a humi at 53-65%. I will pull it out 24 hours before the smoke, cut it and dry it the last bit at 50%.