Cape Cod

Wolfe Tone

» Great picture, Jack. I can just imagine you out there.

»

» What were you smoking? I hope something good enough to kill the pain.

The cigar is a Fonseca cosacos. It's too windy out there to smoke anything expensive, and these fish get thrown back or ground up for shark chum. Sometimes we catch Bonito. They are not as ubiquitous as the "Albies" but are delicious, better than yellowfin, IMHO, but that could just be a function of the extreme freshness, too.

I can imagine YOU out there with me, Bill. You'll love my on board humidor.

» Great pics - albies and bonito on the fly are great :clap:

»

» Where on the cape - islands, chatham?

I keep my boat about a mile from my house, at Monument Beach Marina, in Bourne. It's upper Buzzard's bay, right around the corner from the West end of the Cape Cod canal. It's a great location, because when it's blowing hard from the Southwest, I can cruise through the canal and fish Cape Cod bay, which is in the lee. CC bay has been smoking hot for school (60-120 lb) Bluefin this year. I just bought a standup 80 and am getting a couple 130 rigs and I plan on fishing for giants next year. If I can catch 3 or four fish, I'll make more money than I will working all Summer. Giant Bluefin are caught with regularity within 10 miles of shore in these waters.

» Well done Jack:ok:

»

» Let me know your fly rod and reel setup? Looks like an 8/9 weight?

Nothing fancy, Rob, I use a Temple Fork 9' 10 weight, with a fast sink tip. The reel is some thing I picked up for 100 bucks, used. I find that there is nothing more stressful than worrying about an expensive fly rod getting bounced around in a boat. I broke my Loomis last year and said never again. Hence, the Temple Fork. It's not a Loomis, but it works.

The reason for the 10 weight is that in the Spring, I tie very large herring patterns for Striped Bass, and need that little extra inertia.

I got that thing on a blue and white needlefish. It's hard to tell what tha Albies want to eat. They do want it moving at about 100 miles an hour. It's a workout, lots of stripping for every strike. I don't know how many times I've seen one coming for my fly, stopped stripping, and had the thing veer off at the last second. It's crazy, exciting stuff, and it's kind of difficult.

If you want I can post some pictures of some of the patterns I make.

» If you want I can post some pictures of some of the patterns I make.

That sounds like some great fishing, and I'd like to see the patterns your tying. Up here in BC we are mostly fishing Rainbow trout and some go out for Salmon on the fly.

» Giant Bluefin are caught with regularity within 10 miles of shore in these

» waters.

I'm assuming you fish for BTs off Stellwagen? Do you troll or chunk? Also, I've read that at times,

you can get to the gulf stream about thirty miles off Nantucket - have you ever made the trip?

Good luck with the giants next season!

» » Giant Bluefin are caught with regularity within 10 miles of shore in

» these

» » waters.

»

» I'm assuming you fish for BTs off Stellwagen? Do you troll or chunk? Also,

» I've read that at times,

» you can get to the gulf stream about thirty miles off Nantucket - have you

» ever made the trip?

» Good luck with the giants next season!

Yes, there are a lot of tuna on Stellwagen, but also, within sight of land at Race Point, and within Cape Cod Bay itself. I know a guy who caught school tuna from shore, in Marshfield. I sight fish for school tuna. I have a huge spinning rod with which I cast to them. Sometimes I'll try live lining Bluefish.

When conditions are right, eddies from the Gulf Stream drift into the canyons at the edge of the Continental Shelf. It's a lot further than thirty miles however, it's closer to 80 or 90. People get all kinds of stuff at the canyons, Bigey, Yellowfin, Blue and White Marlin, Swordfish, Mahi Mahi, and even an occasional Wahoo. I wouldneed about another forty gallons of fuel capacity to make that trip.

To tell you the truth mate I was afraid to open this post titled this way, you know with all the pictures of poor taste on this board. I was thrilled to see a quality posting of a great fishing trip. I just me CIGARHead this weekend and hope to fish with him soon.

• 1 year later...

We get these things for about 3 weeks at the end of Summer, and then they go back to the warm places they came from. False Albacore are the fastest things I've ever hooked, which includes a lot of different things, including Bluefin Tuna. I know they are old hat to a lot of people who live in more tropical places than I do, but up here they provide a special opportunity for light tackle insanity. The one in the pic, which weighed 10 lbs. took off with 175 yards of backing on his first run. (I only have 200)

It was windy as hell today, which is why I had dug the fly out of my arm just moments before I got him. That is a tough situation, to have a huge school of fish, thrashing all around the boat, but have your fly stuck in your own flesh, up to the bend. I had my buddy just do a quick pliers rip. Over the side and I was on before the blood even started to clot. image3895.jpg