Montecristo No 2 Light Vs Dark Wrapper Comparison

El Presidente

The more I see this picture, the more curious I am about what actually transpired.

Would the wrapper tobacco for that day's quota be that disparate in color and texture?

Could that mean they ran out of one, and started using another?

Could it mean that these wrappers came from different regions? Might they actually be

different marques that both got Montecristo bands and boxed together?

Could it be as simple as all the boxes were filled with matching color cigars, and they

had enough for one more box and disregarded color matching?

Will we ever really know?

P.S. Thanks for the review :-)

» Would the wrapper tobacco for that day's quota be that disparate in color

» and texture? Yes. Regularly.

» Could that mean they ran out of one, and started using another?

Possibly. Likely they were using both types on the day issued to different rollers.

» Could it mean that these wrappers came from different regions?

Always possible.

» Might they

actually be

» different marques that both got Montecristo bands and boxed together?

Unlikely. The rolling floor or a section of would be rolling Monte 2's for the day.

» Could it be as simple as all the boxes were filled with matching color

» cigars, and they

» had enough for one more box and disregarded color matching?

Possible. Either incompetence or a shortcut was taken as you described.

There is a little bit of disquiet currently within Habanos about the slackness of the Partagas Factory in relation to quality control issues.

Remember the Monte 2's with the cardboard seperator: Partagas Factory.

Remember those Fugly Monte 2s I took a picture of a few months back? Partagas Factory

» The more I see this picture, the more curious I am about what actually

» transpired.

» and texture?

» Could it mean that these wrappers came from different regions? Might they

» actually be

» cigars, and they

» Will we ever really know?

You know, people who do piece work, or on an assembly line, sometimes do strange things. It can be to relieve boredom, or simply to get a laugh from the other people on the floor. I can easily imagine someone filling this box with dark and light wrappers, and showing it to the gang as a joke. "I'd like to see the face on the smoker who opens this box!"

» The more I see this picture, the more curious I am about what actually

» transpired.

» and texture?

» Could it mean that these wrappers came from different regions? Might they

» actually be

» cigars, and they

» Will we ever really know?

»

» P.S. Thanks for the review :-)

once the cigars are rolled, they all get mixed up, for things like this anyway, and then someon colour codes them by sorting them into about 40 different groups depending on shades of colour. they are very careful about this (always remember this because one of the guys has a series of springsteen posters all around his desk). i reckon that they have then gone on to the woman who boxes them and she has run out half way and so, either being lazy or end of day or distracted, she has just quickly filled it up from the next bunch, rather than put it aside to get the same shade. and it has sneaked past those that check. i reckon that is all it is.

Rob,

This is great stuff. I am fasinated by this.

» Summary

»

» I expected to enjoy the lighter wrapper Monte more as I have a preference

» for lighter wrappers. In this case I didn't. In my mind, the wrapper

» difference really affected the different flavours of the cigar. The darker

» wrapper imparted a definitive cocoa edge and rounded out the filler lleaves

» beautifully. The lighter wrapper was not nearly at the same level of

» maturity and imparted a confused sourness to much of the cigar. Yet it has

» real potential.

»

» I have set the box aside. When Lisa returns next Wednesday I will do a

» wrapper swap by applying the darker wrapper to the lighter cigar and vice

» versa. I just want to see if we have cigars with the same filler profile

» to eliminate the "blend" from the equation.

»

» Then we will be able to make an educated guess as to the correlation

» between wrapper and filler and how much difference wrapper makes.

Fantastic work, Rob!

I can't wait to read the wrapper swap test. As far as I know, this is the most analytical empirical work being done anywhere with respect to the influence of wrapper. Kudos!

I suppose the next logical level of control would be to take a set of cigars rolled all at one time, all with the same leaf, varying only in the wrapper. In a sense, ultrapuros.

So for example, hypothetically, having Taboada (or some other skilled roller) construct these cigars all in one sitting and then following this micro-batch through to the consummation of the degustación. In this case, presumably, the cigars would more closely approximate that which is "real" in the sense that the wrappers will have had time to harmonize with the rest of the tobacco.

This is fascinating and entertaining stuff. Our very own Habanos Edutainment!

Wilkey

Or maybe there is a sorter in a some factory that has colorblindness issues!

» » I can easily imagine someone filling this box with dark and light

» wrappers, and showing it to the gang as a joke.

» » "I'd like to see the face on the smoker who opens this box!"

»

» For some reason, I like this theory the best. :-D

» Or maybe there is a sorter in a some factory that has colorblindness

» issues!

That's not out of the realm of impossibility. I worked for a period of time in the printing industry and was responsible for color matching coatings. Funny thing is, I am partially colorblind. But I could do the job with the aid of the proper equipment.

Even though the sorter might not be able discriminate certain colors, he/she can probably differentiate on value (lightness/darkness). In a word, you can fake it for a majority of the situations. The rest would be guesses.

Wilkey

I love you're review Rob, even when you joke with colours:-)

It's amazing that box and I'm looking foirward to read about you're next week "capa" taste by switching it on the cigars.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Montecristo No 2 POS DIC 06

Following on from yesterdays post of a 10 count box of Montecristo No 2 which we opened revealing 5 dark wrapper and 5 lighter wrapper. It was suggested that we conduct a review of each as it is a rarity (thankfully) that such comparisons can be made from cigars with not just the same box code but the same box :-D

image4260.jpg

Yesterday I enjoyed the Dark Wrapper Monte 2. Cool rainy day here in Brisbane town which is a nice change from the endless drought we have experiened and hopefully a sign of a wet sub tropical summer to follow.

The Dark Monte was well rolled. Sweet cocoa smell at cold reminiscent of darker Edicion Limitada's. Slightly box pressed. Angle cut the cap to reveal a good draw (slighlty easy) and sweet spices + toasted tobacco on the lips.

image4261.jpg

image4262.jpg

image4263.jpg

The cigar was quick to light. Very white ash, strictly medium bodied. Lovely aroma of cocoa which is reflected equally on the palate. Creamy core mixed with fresh mushrooms. Enjoyable. Not a great deal of white pepper spice. Refined.

Settles quickly. Light medium bodied now and a long way from the recent Monte 2 powerhouses I have tried. It is nearing 12 months of age and there are no rough edges to this cigar. No bitterness or greeness. It is really three flavours which at this point have not evelved. Montecristo cream is there in droves as are the fresh button mushrooms. Yet it is cocoa which resonates with the palate. There is loads of it. Reminds me very much of a Padron Anniversary but fuller.

image4264.jpg

Building now in strength. Some black fresh coffee entering the mix which adds another dimension. The aroma is chocolate shop like. I prefer the stronger body now on show but it is by all benchmarks still a medium body cigar just with more complexity. Mouth feel is not as coating or dense as I would like. This is not far from being a great cigar but t is not there yet. Quick purge through the probiscus reveals only the slightest hints of pepper. Cocoa still dominant. Ash is quite beautiful

The cigar holds its flavour profile right to the very end. It has all the characteristics of a Monte 2 but as stated previously perhaps missing a few % in the body stakes. It has complexity, good burn, great aroma. I would certainly smoke this cigar on a regular basis when I wanted a sweeter profile cigar. There are days that I yearn for cocoa and chocolate in a cigar. This Monte 2 reminds me of a lighter version of the Cohiba Maduro 5 Genios but with 30% less body.

I enjoyed it. 89

image4265.jpg

Lighter wrapper No 2.

I don't know how this was managed but it does not have a box press to the same extent as the darker Monte 2. The cap looks like it was applied by a snowboarding enthusiast....looks like a Beenie.

The roll however appears to be fine. Aroma at cold is musky. Slightly vegetal and damp. Angle clipped the foot and the draw was perfect revealing tobacco and mushrooms on the lips.

image4266.jpg

image4267.jpg

image4268.jpg

Again the cigar took to the flame like a dog to a Jehovah Witness. Immediately I sensed that this was a different cigar. Medium in body as its darker brother but more vegetal. The mushrooms are there as is the cream but it is joined by a slight sourness which is consistent to the musky dampness of the aroma at cold. This is a more brooding cigar taking longer to find its flavour line. It appears to be battling the darker sour elements but in the opening third the battle is confusing with no clear winner. The aroma emanating from the almost black smoke is one of wet wood burning off. Not overly appealing.

image4269.jpg

It took to the halfway point for the sour edges to disappear and for this Monte 2 to take a more traditional Monte 2 profile. Cream, milk coffee and shortbread dominate the midpalate. There are elements of fresh mushrooms and dry grass stalks. What is noticeably missing is any hint of cocoa which so dominated its darker leaf brother? I realise that I miss that cocoa edge but at the same time enjoying the white pepper hit now being produced.

This cigar is now fuller than the darker Monte 2 at the same point. In many ways it is a more complex cigar but it is not as well balanced. I can only guess that it has a great deal of improvement left in it and I couldn't say the same for "Monte Dark". The Lighter Monte is still evolving...still trying to work out what it wants to be when it grows up. Its darker brother has already got its career planned and knows exactly what it wants to be.

In the last few inches the Monte throws a tantrum. Medium bodied still but the Cream, shortbread and milk coffee have their party crashed by a return of sourness and her sister bitterness. I am not overly disappointed as I like a little rebellion in a young cigar. Keeps me guessing as to whether we have a flawed genius in the making or a dud who will self destruct later in life.

image4270.jpg

Summary

I expected to enjoy the lighter wrapper Monte more as I have a preference for lighter wrappers. In this case I didn't. In my mind, the wrapper difference really affected the different flavours of the cigar. The darker wrapper imparted a definitive cocoa edge and rounded out the filler leaves beautifully. The lighter wrapper was not nearly at the same level of maturity and imparted a confused sourness to much of the cigar. Yet it has real potential.

I have set the box aside. When Lisa returns next Wednesday I will do a wrapper swap by applying the darker wrapper to the lighter cigar and vice versa. I just want to see if we have cigars with the same filler profile to eliminate the "blend" from the equation.

Then we will be able to make an educated guess as to the correlation between wrapper and filler and how much difference wrapper makes.

• 1 month later...