Single Malt recomendations.

kmax

» Hi all I have tried very few single malts in my lifetime and have had some

» good and bad experiences. I would like some recomendations for a newbie

» scotch drinker. Thanks!

Just to make your life more interesting or more complicated...here are more recommendations!

Now that i am either drunk or on my way there...here's the truth

;-) ;-) ;-)

if smoky/peaty is your thing, definitely Lagavulin/Laproaig/Ardbeg.

...try the different selection w/o breaking the bank, and arrive at your own preference...just like cigar brands!

but, if you are smoking a nice cigar & you want the right company, then let me recommend the Glenfarclas Series.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But consider Johnnie Walker. Red, Black, Green and Blue. The diference between Red and Blue

» is dramatic. The diference between Green and Blue? Not much to my

» palate, but quite a bit to my wallet! Guess it comes to the point of

» diminishing returns. I can no longer discern a difference that is worth

» buying to me.

»

»

I agree with this completely. I love the taste of JW Blue, but not enough to unfold that many $20 bills.

And thanks to everyone for the great recommendations on single malts. I'm learning my own tastes tend towards the simple for now--I really like the Glenmorangie Portwood, and the Glenlivet French Oak Reserve--but the more I dabble with cigar smoking, the more challenge I enjoy from my scotch.

Happy New Year to all . . .

» » Well I'm glad to see you are staying away from blends!

»

» i find that a really interesting comment. i'm not much of a scotch drinker

» myself, preferring good rum and occasionally gin, bourbon, cognac etc, but

» the concept of single malts (and i do like lap and the mccallan on the

» rare occasions i venture there) is a little like the concept of single

» vineyards in wine. only speculating here but i suspect tat the very best

» of the blends in scotch must surely be of a similar quality, though

» different flavour profile, to single malts. grange for example is a great

» wine but a blend of grapes and vineyards. hill of grace is the single

» vineyard/varety. both great wins but different.

» i wonder if it is because the vast majority of scotch found in the lower

» price points is blended that its overall reputation has been tarnished.

» i may be completely off track here but i wonder if anyone has any

» thoughts. would be very interested if anyone does enjoy the very best

» blends. johnny walker blue and chivas aged have always seemed excellent

» scotches to me but as i said, not a regular or knowledgeable scotch

» drinker.

I think that comparing varietal wines to blended whiskey is a little hard to do b/c there are soo many premium-super premium blended wines and very, very few premium-super premium blended whiskeys, atleast to my palate. IMO and as we all likely know, the problem with most blends, save for higher end blends like JW Blue, is that the whiskeys used in blending are often lesser quality raw materials that are too young and vigorous. Most express a harsher and less rounded side, but obviously aren't as damning to the wallet.

A decent blend that I preferred in my younger, poorer days was Whitehorse, which is the blend of Lagavulin and it's sister Islay distillery. As above, the better blends like JW Blue aren't worth the coin for me.

» I think that comparing varietal wines to blended whiskey is a little hard

» to do b/c there are soo many premium-super premium blended wines and very,

» very few premium-super premium blended whiskeys, atleast to my palate.

So would our experienced scotch drinkers feel that blended malts and / or blended scotch whiskeys

are more of a cost cutting measure, or are blenders trying to create a distinct, consistent taste?

» So would our experienced scotch drinkers feel that blended malts and / or

» blended scotch whiskeys

» are more of a cost cutting measure, or are blenders trying to create a

» distinct, consistent taste?

Both IMO. Blended scotch could be equated to machine made cigars.

The makers of the Scotch are definitely trying to be consistent with their blends, and consistency is actually easier to achieve b/c they have the ability to add a little more of this vintage, distillery, ect, and less of that vintage, distillery, ect, to reproduce their signature aroma/taste.

The cost factor is very much a product of age and the overhead aquired in that process. If a blender could use multiple 3 yr old whiskeys that have less labor, storage, and even substance(lesser quality raw materials), then end cost would be significantly less than a 12(or 15 or 20) yr old single malt.

• 2 months later...

Just picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16. Wow. I've been going back and forth between the JW Gold and, when I want a single, Glenlivet 21.

The Glen is awesome, but it lacks something. That something is a kick in the teeth. Think I found that in the Lagavulin. For a $60 bottle of scotch, I'm impressed.

Didn't have the chance to pair it with a smoke, but when I do, any suggestions?

» Just picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16. Wow. I've been going back and

» forth between the JW Gold and, when I want a single, Glenlivet 21.

»

» The Glen is awesome, but it lacks something. That something is a kick in

» the teeth. Think I found that in the Lagavulin. For a $60 bottle of

» scotch, I'm impressed.

»

» Didn't have the chance to pair it with a smoke, but when I do, any

» suggestions?

Lagavulin goes nicely with Siglo II or Boli PC for me.

"Blended scotch could be equated to machine made cigars."

I heartily disagree with this statement and think it's a gross oversimplification. I drink both blended and single malts, and started out drinking blendeds. To be sure, blends such as Johnnie Walker Red and Dewar's White Label can be underwhelming. So, too, can cheap single malts. Decent blends (such as Johnnie Walker Black, Chivas Regal 12, etc.) can be quite enjoyable. And Chivas Royal Salute and Johnnie Walker Blue are fantastic scotches that show well in comparison to any single malt.

The notion that blended scotches are inherently inferior is, in my view, the vestige of the snob appeal that characterized the explosion in popularity of single malts several years ago. Blends are not inherently less complex than single malts. As with cigars, it all depends on the manufacturer, the price point at which you're shopping, and your open-mindedness. Don't close yourself off to blends -- you'll be missing out on some good drinks.

» Hi all I have tried very few single malts in my lifetime and have had some

» good and bad experiences. I would like some recomendations for a newbie

» scotch drinker. Thanks!

I am a cognac person, but there are three single malts that I really like, and who are really good with cigars

Balvenie Portwood 21 Year Old, as good as it can get, expensive, but I always pick up a bottle when I see them (around 100 euro in the taxfree ...)

Single Barrel 15 Year Old, and the Doublewood 12 Year Old are other Balvenie who I really really like.

If you want to get a good cognac, try the Otard, just excellent. In sweden you have another called Gronstedt, underrated in sweden but is wining gold medals because they never changed there blend when the whiskey era swept over europe, I have seen it in Franc and in some airport, the XO and Extra are the good once, its a grand cru so the VSOP and VS haven't got enough time on the barrels, but the XO and Extra are really nice once.

I know more than one is going to jump with this, but I humbly think all this marriage between cigars and spirits is just mambo jambo.

One they I would have a cigar with a specific rum and would just as fine as having it tomorrow with a specific whisky.

Some days I'm in the mood for whisky and cigars and other don't... or that means I'm a pimp or promiscuous?;-)

Well, dont really know what you are after but

1: The person ask after a scotch that he would like to try and there are three scotch that I think is worth checking out.

2: "I am a cognac person, but there are three single malts that I really like, and who are really good with cigars" which would imply that I drink more then scotch to my cigars. Some days I go with water, some day wine I have even had cigar with a coke...

But I do think that you can mach cigars and spirits, or I think that you have to do that. If you smoke a strong cigar with a lot of punch, you cant go with a subtle wine, all taste from the wine will just disappear. The same work the other way, strong heavy wine with a mild cigar. Its the same rule that apply to food.

Bottom line, smoke the cigar that you like with the drink that you prefer. There is nothing wrong or bad, as long you like it. We all have personal references and taste buds, both when it comes to cigars and spirits.

Lighten up and pore yourself a tall one

» I know more than one is going to jump with this, but I humbly think all

» this marriage between cigars and spirits is just mambo jambo.

» One they I would have a cigar with a specific rum and would just as fine

» as having it tomorrow with a specific whisky.

» Some days I'm in the mood for whisky and cigars and other don't... or that

» means I'm a pimp or promiscuous?;-)

» "Blended scotch could be equated to machine made cigars."

»

» I heartily disagree with this statement and think it's a gross

» oversimplification. I drink both blended and single malts, and started

» out drinking blendeds. To be sure, blends such as Johnnie Walker Red and

» Dewar's White Label can be underwhelming. So, too, can cheap single

» malts. Decent blends (such as Johnnie Walker Black, Chivas Regal 12,

» etc.) can be quite enjoyable. And Chivas Royal Salute and Johnnie Walker

» Blue are fantastic scotches that show well in comparison to any single

» malt.

»

» The notion that blended scotches are inherently inferior is, in my view,

» the vestige of the snob appeal that characterized the explosion in

» popularity of single malts several years ago. Blends are not inherently

» less complex than single malts. As with cigars, it all depends on the

» manufacturer, the price point at which you're shopping, and your

» open-mindedness. Don't close yourself off to blends -- you'll be missing

» out on some good drinks.

I agree with you 100%. Love me some Chivas. Single malts are also fantastic. Aberlour, Glenfiddich (esp the Solera Reserve), Glenrothes, Highland Park, Dalmore Cigar Malt.

• 3 weeks later...

» Lagavulin 16yr is very peaty (smoky) and has turned on many a newbie

» (including myself years ago) to the wide world of Scotch. Like sex, you

» always remember your first. Highly recommended.

This is my story exactly.

*sigh*

• 2 weeks later...

» Among the classic malts, my favourites are always Lagavulin 16 and

» Laphroig 10.

I just bought my first bottle of Lagavulin 16 and think it's phenomenal. And I'm not even much of a Scotch drinker. In fact, I really haven't touched the Scotch in years since I never found it much to my liking. But today I was at the specialty liquor store and saw the Lagavulin 16 and picked it up on a whim. In the past I've enjoyed Oban 14 but I don't recall it being as good as this Lagavullin. I also got a bottle of Laphroaig 10 as a gift a number of years ago and hated it. It was so medicinal in flavor that I began to wonder if there was something wrong with the bottle I had. It tasted wretched to me, but I know the Laphroaig is quite popular. Interesting.

Anybody tried the Laphroaig 30yo?

• 6 months later...
» I also got a bottle of Laphroaig 10 as a gift a number of years ago and hated it. It was so medicinal in flavor that I began to wonder if there was something wrong with the bottle I had. It tasted wretched to me, but I know the Laphroaig is quite popular. Interesting.

Anybody tried the Laphroaig 30yo?

Personally, I am quite fond of the Laprhroaig 10 yr but you must remember that it really is a love it or hate it whisky. Laphroaig even markets it that way - or did once upon a time.

I've not tried the 30 yr old - from your lips to God's ear that I should - but I have tried an 18 yr old Laphroaig and it was wonderful!!!!! :lifepreserver: All the peaty, salty smoky flavors I love in the 10 and much smoother. What I hated about it is that it tasted like more.

My favorite has now become Talisker after having a few this weekend at a party. In US its about $50 -55. On my higher end of a liquor purchase.

However, I would like to ask all their opinions: what is their favorite for under $50?

I find the basic low end Bowmore Scotch Legend around $30 pretty decent. Any others?

I must confess to being rather plebeian - I usually order a double of Grouse with a splash of lemon aid. But having read this thread I will expand and try some of the recommended SM's - I am especially intrigued by the Lag's and Laf's - peat and salt sound great to the palate. Cheers!!

Another vote for Lagavulin 16yo. Simply sensational every time.

Talisker 10 has snuck into 2nd spot ahead of Laphroaig 1/4 cask for me.

As previously mentioned, Islay single malts are an aquired taste, you will either love them or hate them.

I just received a Glen eglin 16 yrs, which is quoted at 59.5 of alcool...

Smell is very very alcoolic, like pure alcool. But in the mouth it gets smoother on the palate, and then very spicy.

Very interesting malt.

I paired it twice with a RA 898 (2002 and 1998).