Single Malt recomendations.

kmax

Personally, I am quite fond of the Laprhroaig 10 yr but you must remember that it really is a love it or hate it whisky. Laphroaig even markets it that way - or did once upon a time.

I've not tried the 30 yr old - from your lips to God's ear that I should - but I have tried an 18 yr old Laphroaig and it was wonderful!!!!! :drool: All the peaty, salty smoky flavors I love in the 10 and much smoother. What I hated about it is that it tasted like more.

"Among the classic malts, my favourites are always Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig 10."

Same here! I did pick up the 15 year Laphroaig recently and found it a bit too sweet on the aftertaste for my liking. Now for those that find the 10 year too medicinal, the 15 YO may be the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Among the classic malts, my favourites are always Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig 10."

Same here! I did pick up the 15 year Laphroaig recently and found it a bit too sweet on the aftertaste for my liking. Now for those that find the 10 year too medicinal, the 15 YO may be the way to go.

I find the sweet-salty combination of the Lagavulin 16yo unique, but I understand it may taste peculiar.

Another great whisky I recently got is a wonderful Connemara Cask Strength, a wonderful 59° Irish Single Malt...

• 4 weeks later...

If you're not into a hugely smokey/peaty single matl, check out Benriach 20yr.

Just OUTSTNADING.

It makes every single malt I own taste veiled, almost as if they're "clouded" as it's so clean, refreshing and lively.

It'a also the most expensive bottle I've ever purchased at $110, but it will be enjoyed B)

A friend of mine just returned from Scotland with some some samples of Highland Park 18, 25 and 30 year after a distillery tour. We did a vertical taste test, and I was impressed by the 30 and 18 most, with 25 bringing up the rear. Decided to pick up a bottle of the 18 year, and will also be looking into the Lagavulin 16 as well. Completely different taste profile, but very interesting!

• 2 months later...

For a single malt with a cigar, I am a massive fan of Arberg - Lord of Isles... Absolutely brilliant as it is such an oustanding malt and also wont overpower any cuban cigar. Match ,ade in heaven if you ask me...

price is about $350 AUD... $200+ USD. Well worth it, even just to savour on occasion with special smokes.

» "Blended scotch could be equated to machine made cigars."

»

» I heartily disagree with this statement and think it's a gross

» oversimplification. I drink both blended and single malts, and started

» out drinking blendeds. To be sure, blends such as Johnnie Walker Red and

» Dewar's White Label can be underwhelming. So, too, can cheap single

» malts. Decent blends (such as Johnnie Walker Black, Chivas Regal 12,

» etc.) can be quite enjoyable. And Chivas Royal Salute and Johnnie Walker

» Blue are fantastic scotches that show well in comparison to any single

» malt.

»

» The notion that blended scotches are inherently inferior is, in my view,

» the vestige of the snob appeal that characterized the explosion in

» popularity of single malts several years ago. Blends are not inherently

» less complex than single malts. As with cigars, it all depends on the

» manufacturer, the price point at which you're shopping, and your

» open-mindedness. Don't close yourself off to blends -- you'll be missing

» out on some good drinks.

I agree with you 100%. Love me some Chivas. Single malts are also fantastic. Aberlour, Glenfiddich (esp the Solera Reserve), Glenrothes, Highland Park, Dalmore Cigar Malt.

I absolutely agree with Trumpetchris.

I know this is an old thread but being the new guy here, I'm sifting through topics which interest me.

Whilst I love a single malt, I equally when the mood grabs me, is drink a nice blended Scotch.

With single malts, I love The Glenlivet 15YO

With Blended, whilst I have tried a great many including the cliche JW Blue & JW Gold (Both quite nice), I find myself favouring believe it or not, JW Green as it has a subtle 'Smoky' flavour within it's blend.

I love JW Green with a Monte #2 or Diplomaticos #2 and think it especially compliments any cigar that is more fuller bodied like a Cohiba Sublimes Edicion Limitada 2004. :D

Of course, this is my opinion based on my own tastes. :rolleyes:

My New favourite is The Balvenie Double Wooded Single Malt 12 year old ... goes with any cigar very smooth, creamy and touch of honey absolutely amazing! In Australia goes for about $89 at DM in the states I think i'ts half price.

My New favourite is The Balvenie Double Wooded Single Malt 12 year old ... goes with any cigar very smooth, creamy and touch of honey absolutely amazing! In Australia goes for about $89 at DM in the states I think i'ts half price.

Wow, that sounds quite nice!!

I might need to make a pit stop into DM. :cigar:

"Lagavulin 16yr is very peaty (smoky) and has turned on many a newbie (including myself years ago) to the wide world of Scotch. Like sex, you always remember your first. Highly recommended."

Funny, I don't remember my first... I was pretty messed up on good scotch at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

The same favorite, as above!!! And once in a while, Balvenie single cask 15 years old - so goooood. ;)

The same favorite, as above!!! And once in a while, Balvenie single cask 15 years old - so goooood. :)

Definetly love that one but rare to find in Sydney. It is actually a bit nicer thn the 12 year old smoother. But for the prce difference I would choose the 12 any day.

For a single malt with a cigar, I am a massive fan of Arberg - Lord of Isles... Absolutely brilliant as it is such an oustanding malt and also wont overpower any cuban cigar. Match ,ade in heaven if you ask me...

price is about $350 AUD... $200+ USD. Well worth it, even just to savour on occasion with special smokes.

not familiar with ardberg but have just received a sample of their new 'blasda'. so checked it out and gather it is very much in the peaty laiphroig/bowmore style - which is my preferred style of malt, when i do drink it. checked jim murray's whisky bible and he gives seriously high scores for many of the ardberg scotches, tho he is not so kind to lord of the isles, but i think he has overall rated these malts as highly as any producer so keen to try more.

anyone familiar with this new blasda? yet to try it - just arrived and i have to dash but from the notes, it is slightly less alcohol and less peaty. if paet is your thing, why go the other way? not sure it makes sense but keen to try it. not cheap - A$105.

K,

The standard Ardbeg was Murray's whiskey of the year last year. A clinical tasting, lightly coloured dram. Very clean on the palate... but very much in the Ardbeg Islay style of peat and smoke. I do enjoy it, but prefer the Laphraoig Ten and Quarter Cask for the more 'syrupy' style.

The standard Ardbeg is not cheap either... standard rrp is about $88.

• 4 weeks later...

mentioned elsewhere that i tried the arberg 17 years old. lovely subtle, complex whisky. lots of orangey citrus notes. a hint of the party character of the other arbergs i've tried but nowhere near as pronounced.

i also tried the bowmore mariner 15 years. lots of smoky peaty characters. really really good whisky - from someone who doesn't drink much whisky at all

I'm an Islay Malt fan... but recently I reluctantly tried Johnnie Walker Green Label.

I've gotta admit its great. I've been through a whole bottle already. Clean and fresh on the palate with very pronounced smooth malt flavours. This will be a staple in my whiskey cabinet.

I'm an Islay Malt fan... but recently I reluctantly tried Johnnie Walker Green Label.

I've gotta admit its great. I've been through a whole bottle already. Clean and fresh on the palate with very pronounced smooth malt flavours. This will be a staple in my whiskey cabinet.

if i recall, it is one that the blender (can't remember his name but i do remember he went to school with Charles) says goes best with chocolate.

Sounds right to me.

The missus made me chocolate mud cake for dessert and the two went wonderfully together.

Following it up right now with an Ardbeg 10.