Single Malt recomendations.

kmax

In my opinion, Laphroaig 10yo is a bit more fuller flavoured (robust flavours) and more 'in your face'.

The Ardbeg has a lighter, more delicate mouth feel compared to the more 'syrupy' Laphroaig 10.

They are both excellent for different reasons.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was discount in shop this week on Bruichladdich Waves so I went and got it.

It's hard for me to describe this malt it's young only 7YO but with that said smooth, smoky and got some richness it's smoky with touches of vanilla and that some nice bourbon sweetness, that's the first time I drink scotch that's so young but wow I enjoy it very much.

Maybe I drank too much and lost it but this one is well worth my money for being so young but still with richness, funny it's my first Bruichladdich, I did say I only now get into single malts and whiskeys in general but wow.

P.S

Something I try to find out for long now how do you choose drinks and cigars combinations ? work on the same taste/similar taste or opposite ?

• 2 weeks later...
In my opinion, Laphroaig 10yo is a bit more fuller flavoured (robust flavours) and more 'in your face'.

The Ardbeg has a lighter, more delicate mouth feel compared to the more 'syrupy' Laphroaig 10.

They are both excellent for different reasons.

I got the Ardeb 10yo, I enjoy it very much.

The differences are as you said but that's what make to like it so much.

The only thing I'm sorry for that it's getting too hot to drink whiskey, I'll have to wait till the summer will pass.

not familiar with ardberg but have just received a sample of their new 'blasda'. so checked it out and gather it is very much in the peaty laiphroig/bowmore style - which is my preferred style of malt, when i do drink it. checked jim murray's whisky bible and he gives seriously high scores for many of the ardberg scotches, tho he is not so kind to lord of the isles, but i think he has overall rated these malts as highly as any producer so keen to try more.

anyone familiar with this new blasda? yet to try it - just arrived and i have to dash but from the notes, it is slightly less alcohol and less peaty. if paet is your thing, why go the other way? not sure it makes sense but keen to try it. not cheap - A$105.

Just saw this, thanks Ken! I will keep an eye out for the Blasda. Tried finding it at first choice as they stock all Ardberg varieties and no go for now. Doesnt surprise me the Lord of Isles got a rough time from Murray, I only drink it with a quality cigar and am yet to find a better match...

Good to see from your subsequent posts your giving the Ardberg a run Ken it's my absolute favorite!

Also on whiskeys albeit not single malt, bought a bottle of Jameson 18yo. Lovely hints of toffee and sublte soft fruit and woody notes. As with all Jameson smooth as silk on the palette. Gorgeous.

• 1 month later...

A friend is visiting Scotland soon, and I would like to have him purchase a bottle of single malt whisky for my husbands birthday. My husband drinks single malts regularly, usually from the Speyside and Highland regions, and I would like to have him get something that is not regularly found here in the US. Could you offer some recommendations.

Thanks

lucymac

A friend is visiting Scotland soon, and I would like to have him purchase a bottle of single malt whisky for my husbands birthday. My husband drinks single malts regularly, usually from the Speyside and Highland regions, and I would like to have him get something that is not regularly found here in the US. Could you offer some recommendations.

Thanks

lucymac

One of my favourite things about malts is that they so closely relate to the land of their birth. Be it a heathery, fresh malt with mineral undertones from the highlands, or a briny, peaty medicinal malt from the islays the connection is so strong and tangible. ''Goût de terroir'' as our French friends call it. As you'll know, anything of pedigree (be it wine, cigars, cognac, bourbon) has this.

I would highly recommend any of the following:

Highland: Dalwhinnie 15yr

Islay: Ardbeg 17yr

Islands: Highland Park 15yr

Lowlands: Glenkinchie 14yr

Speyside: Macallan 17yr or Glenfarclas 21yr. In fact, anything from the Macallan or Glenfarclas ranges. All superb.

Rare: 1974 Banff, if you can find it. The distillery closed in the early 80s, but there are a few bottles still around if you hunt hard enough. The most sublime whisky I have ever tasted.

All of those are excellent and cost between £20 and £60 (US$30-100), apart of course from the Banff, which from memory was maybe £150 ($250). For ref, only Scotch can be called whisky (hence Irish whiskey), and to qualify it must be at least 8yrs old, although I wouldn't bother with anything below 10yrs.

Depends on his tastes really, if he's new to it then I'd suggest the Dalwhinnie or the Glenkinchie. If he likes power, anything from Islay, for refinement you can't beat Spey whiskies. Highland Park is a multi-award winner as well.

Let us know what you end up with!

This place is normally good for an idea of prices:

whisky store

Hi there guys, newbie here :blush:

I jsut got back from Shanghai and picked up JW Black, Bowmore 12, and Macallan 12.

Out of these "lower" priced single malts I felt that the Macallan blew the rest out of the water. Interesting thought the packaging is also a little bit different because its blue and it says "elegencia" on the front, wondering if anyone knows what is different about this one?

Sorry...don't know anything about the "Elegencia" labeling, but I can tell you that I am not surprised that you found the Macallan 12 to be the best of the lot. You can't miss with that one.

My wife surprised me the other day with a Mac Fine Oak 21. I've not yet tried it, as I don't want to spoil any of it. I'm waiting for the opportunity to sit, relax, smoke something very nice, and enjoy this malt.

Anyone try it? Opinions? The Fine Oak 17 is one of my favorites, so I'm sure this one will be decadent. Would love to hear from you, though...

Out of these "lower" priced single malts I felt that the Macallan blew the rest out of the water. Interesting thought the packaging is also a little bit different because its blue and it says "elegencia" on the front, wondering if anyone knows what is different about this one?

It's my understanding that the Elegancia is available at duty free only. I think I've also read that it has a slightly lower alcohol by volume..

It's my understanding that the Elegancia is available at duty free only. I think I've also read that it has a slightly lower alcohol by volume..

was about to post the same thing. i have only ever found elegancia at duty free. good malt. comes in at 40%. another - and i'm not sure if this is just duty free or more wodely available - is the bowmore 15 year old 'mariner'. a stunner.

My wife surprised me the other day with a Mac Fine Oak 21. I've not yet tried it, as I don't want to spoil any of it. I'm waiting for the opportunity to sit, relax, smoke something very nice, and enjoy this malt.

Anyone try it? Opinions? The Fine Oak 17 is one of my favorites, so I'm sure this one will be decadent. Would love to hear from you, though...

I could do with a surprise like that...

The difference between the 21yr and the 17yr is quite surprising. The 17yr is an excellent, balanced malt, but the 21yr just takes it to another level of complexity. A true Spey whisky - lots of layers, yet not overpowering.

A drop of water of course to release those aromas and elongate the taste - enjoy! What are you planning to smoke with it?

was about to post the same thing. i have only ever found elegancia at duty free. good malt. comes in at 40%. another - and i'm not sure if this is just duty free or more wodely available - is the bowmore 15 year old 'mariner'. a stunner.

For the most part, the Elegancia is duty-free only, and nice and light as you say. I've been ambushed by a couple of cask strength numbers before...

The Bowmore mariner is part of their 'travel' range of whisky and normally only available in airports. Having said that, I'mpretty sure I've seen it online and in stores in the UK, so not sure how strict that is. I found this one just a touch syrupy - perfect for after dinner.

thanks for the replies folks,

i really enjoy it personally but i don't have too much experience. there is ridiculous amount of cinnamon, vanilla, and cedar on the nose that I really enjoy. the taste is def secondary to the nose in my opinion

I could do with a surprise like that...

The difference between the 21yr and the 17yr is quite surprising. The 17yr is an excellent, balanced malt, but the 21yr just takes it to another level of complexity. A true Spey whisky - lots of layers, yet not overpowering.

A drop of water of course to release those aromas and elongate the taste - enjoy! What are you planning to smoke with it?

thanks for the feedback. not sure yet on the smoke. I may go with one of my two fav's - Monte2 or PSD4. Or I may go a little less full with a Trini Coloniales. suggestions?

thanks for the feedback. not sure yet on the smoke. I may go with one of my two fav's - Monte2 or PSD4. Or I may go a little less full with a Trini Coloniales. suggestions?

Ah, my habano knowledge is much less than my humble experience with malts... but I'd suggest something of a decent pedigree, and long enough to enjoy a few drams. Something like

Trinidad Robusto Extra

Cohiba Siglo VI

Upmann Mag 50

RyJ Churchill

Upmann Churchill

Bolivar Gigantes

....you see where I'm going with this! Something smaller like a PSD4 or the classic Monte 2 as you say would also be perfect. It's nice to have such a choice!

thanks for the replies folks,

i really enjoy it personally but i don't have too much experience. there is ridiculous amount of cinnamon, vanilla, and cedar on the nose that I really enjoy. the taste is def secondary to the nose in my opinion

It's interesting you say that because without the nose, the spirit would be near useless. I've read that several master distillers of both rum and scotch use their sense of smell more than anything while making spirits. Cheers...

Ah, my habano knowledge is much less than my humble experience with malts... but I'd suggest something of a decent pedigree, and long enough to enjoy a few drams. Something like

Trinidad Robusto Extra

Cohiba Siglo VI

Upmann Mag 50

RyJ Churchill

Upmann Churchill

Bolivar Gigantes

....you see where I'm going with this! Something smaller like a PSD4 or the classic Monte 2 as you say would also be perfect. It's nice to have such a choice!

I see where you're going, and I was thinking about going there myself! If it gets to that, I've got either an HDM DC or Lusi to satisfy the need...

No doubt that taste is a large part based off of smell. The exact percentage I cannot say, but it is like eating a fine steak while your sinuses are congested. You just can't taste it anywhere near as well, and in many cases, things can actually tast different.

Thanks

lucymac

I hope this isn't too late - I just noticed this post. Something that I heard about that interests me greatly that you cannot get in the US (I believe that's what you're going for) is a Glenfiddich that is finished in old Cuban rum barrels. I do not recall the name. I heard about it when watching a show on Scotland. The host toured the Glenfiddich distillery and talked about it.

Should be good - I enjoy the regular Glenfiddich line. If it's not, at least he'd have a really cool bottle that most others would not...

I hope this isn't too late - I just noticed this post. Something that I heard about that interests me greatly that you cannot get in the US (I believe that's what you're going for) is a Glenfiddich that is finished in old Cuban rum barrels. I do not recall the name. I heard about it when watching a show on Scotland. The host toured the Glenfiddich distillery and talked about it.

Should be good - I enjoy the regular Glenfiddich line. If it's not, at least he'd have a really cool bottle that most others would not...

have heard about this malt but i have not seen it out here.

i might add that for me, this is the absolute epitome of the braindead stupidity of the US embargo. america cannot taste or buy a malt whisky made in scotland because, many years earlier, the barrels used to make it touched cuban rum.

if this is not also compelling evidence that there is no god, i do not know what else could convince us. if there was a god, he would surely strike down in burning agony any politician who could dream up something so utterly absurd. honestly, kafka or dali could not have conjured up such a brilliant piece of farce.

how the hell is a scottish malt that has touched the sides of a barrel that once had cuban rum in it a danger to world peace? i fear i am becoming a grumpy old man.

Glenfiddich 21YO is finished in rum barrels, I think they use Cuban rum barrels but it says Caribbean so they'll be able to sell in the US.

Glenfiddich 21YO and both 15 are the only ones I liked from Glenfiddich after trying both of 12YO and 18YO those three are the only I liked.