Partagas Serie du Connaisseur # 1 Review

Partagas Serie du Connaisseur # 1

Reviewed 4/10/2005

Length: 192 mm, 7 ½ inches

Ring: 15.02 mm, 38

Vitola: Delicados

Origin: Cuba

Box Code: ORE OCT 03

I have been a lover of cigars for a long time. About a year or so ago, I was introduced to smaller ring gauge Habanos. Generally, I had found little information about these cigars on any of the cigar boards that I travel, thus they had simply passed under my radar.

The du Connaisseur #1 presented a medium brown Colorado wrapper. It was actually flawless. The body of the cigar held a firmness to it and gave a slight resistance to the touch. There were a couple of subdued veins that could be seen, but nothing detracted from the simple beauty of this cigar. The triple cap was perfectly placed, showing that the roller took great care when constructing this cigar. The pre-light aroma was unmistakably earthy. As I tried the first draw before lighting it, I tasted the earthiness again, but also a rich tone of dark molasses sweetness. The draw had a firm resistance but would not be considered tight.

The du Connaisseur #1 began with a rich earthiness and leather tones. The draw was firm but not tight. It presented the sweet white peppery Partagas spiciness and large volumes of smoke. I tasted slight hints of cedar and almost a creamy spice at some points toward the middle which bordered on honey sweetness. Developing floral tones and a woodiness combining with the “Old World Partagas” spice made the balance of this cigar a treasure to enjoy. The ash was a firm charcoal gray and held on for 1.5-2 inches in-between taps and had a lazar sharp burn. The rich tobacco flavors, building peppery spice with a subtle hint of lemon or citrus in the background along with the earthiness and rich leather is why it is called a Connaisseur. Only those that will take their time to let this cigar develop on its own and not rush it can appreciate it. I found that by releasing the smoke through my nose brought the flavors to life. The du Connaisseur #1 was never harsh, but pure straight forward Partagas harmony. I tasted a hint of sea salt toward the finish. I loved the rich classical flavors. The complexity although subtle was deep and ever changing. This was a little over 1.5 hours of pure Habanos heaven.

I would rate this cigar a 94

I really need to thank Lisa for hooking me up with these stellar cigars! I also promissed her that I would review them after my minimum 30 days resting period. I look forward to smoking these again and again, which reminds me, I need to ask her to find me another box soon.

I recently sampled this vitola, and immediately ordered a box. I thought that the Lusi was the most sophisticated Partagas, but this cigar is now in the running. Luciously complex, with citrus and fruity notes mingled with classic Party flavors. One of the most enjoyable cigars in a while!

» Great Review Tampa :clap:

»

» Connoisseur No 1 and LGC Medaille D'or No 1 are part of my regular

» rotation.

»

» I am enjoying this style more and more.

Don't forget about the Montecristo Especial No. 1!

• 4 months later...