Juan Lopez Obus

Tampa1257

Cigar: Juan Lopez Obus, French Regional Edición

Reviewed Date: December 6, 2007

Size: 5.5 inches (140mm), 52 Ring Gauge

Shape: Campanas, Belicoso

Origin: Cuba

This Belicoso was enjoyed the same evening as the Bolivar Colosales that I reviewed. The evening turned out to be a Regional Edición evening for me. A good friend had given this cigar to me a little over 6 months ago and it had been resting in the Aristocrat ever since. The wrapper had a reddish hue and it felt silky smooth. I clipped the head at a 45 degree angle with an opening just slightly under the diameter of a dime which I have personally found delivered a good draw on either a Belicoso or a Piramide. The pre-draw left no doubt that the construction was superb and would provide a large volume of smoke.

From the first draw, I noticed a medium herbal tone mixed with rich tobacco and what I commented was a sweet fruitiness. During the first third the Obus was smooth with a under laying woody flavor and leather. The Obus developed from medium bodied in the first third to a medium full body in the second third and presented a touch of black pepper spiciness that in my opinion really brought out the complexity. Moving into the final stage of the cigar, I tasted hints of coffee, a sweet caramel and nutty flavor mixed with the woody and leather background.

To say that I found this cigar enjoyable would be an understatement. As young as it is, I found the flavors and complexity had already developed well beyond its youth. The richness and smooth tobacco taste with the woody, nutty, slightly herbal essence balanced well with the pepper spice and hints of coffee, caramel and touch of fruit. My impression of the Juan Lopez Obus is that it is a excellent cigar right now and may develop into something even more so down the road. I would rate the Obus as a 5 ring gauge cigar and could well be a classic in a few years.

Great review Chuck :clap:

I am a real fan of these and myearlier review pretty much matches yours.

I think that they will become something very special come 2010/2011. I am not sure they have the legs as a long term classic (10 years +) but I look forward to being proved wrong.

• 7 months later...

I do not have enough experience on this vitola but after 5 sticks from the 1st batch and 5 sticks from the 2nd batch, i can say that the 2nd batch is definitely 'jucier' while the 1st one was more flat as said by Jimmy...

I also found out that those cigars are going perfectly well at Aperitif with Champagne :-D

» » Was gifted a box of these by some dear friends. Have not smoked one yet

» but

» » will rectify that soon. Thanks for the review Chuck. TD

»

» Damn Slick you have some nice friends!:love:

It looks like I have nice friends too!:lol3:

» » » Was gifted a box of these by some dear friends. Have not smoked one

» yet

» » but

» » » will rectify that soon. Thanks for the review Chuck. TD

» »

» » Damn Slick you have some nice friends!:love: