Day 1 Tasting Series: Yasmel Mareva "Standard"

El Presidente

» black coffee has turned the previous molasses into a bastardised licorice. This is no Hollywood production but rather a sexy French cult film ...all dark and angular ....where hedonism hangs heavy and you know that a good sex scene is just around the corner.

Rob, how many afternoons have we spent discussing cigars and their flavours, I thought I was nearly your equal. But I am still the grasshopper to you the master, when you can discribe a cigar as a French Cult Film.

Fantastic review I just hope the Reds backline will be as dark and angular this year.

• 9 months later...

Over the next week we will be sampling a series of cigars rolled for me by Partagas Level 9 roller Yasmel Rodriguez. Yasmel is a very fine roller and before his time with us was quite a sober and conscientious young man.

image5092.jpg

I had Yasmel roll 7 mareva's.

Standard Mareva: 1/3 Ligero 1/3 Seco 1/3 Volado

Double Wrapper Mareva with 1/3 Ligero 1/3 Seco 1/3 Volado

Mareva with only Ligero

Mareva with only Seco

Mareva with only Volado

Mareva with equal amounts of filler leaf (Ligero/Seco/Volado)but with the Ligero running down solely one side of the Mareva.

Mareva with Ligero at first inch and last inch but with only seco/volado in midsection.

It is rare to have the opportunity to examine a cigar where we take identical tobacco rolled in identical conditions and play around with leaf to see its influence in the overall cigar.

At the completion of the series of tastings I will complete a spreadsheet comparing the different elements of each cigar so that we can begin to draw some observations.

Today we will start with the Yasmel Mareva Standard.

Yasmel Mareva Standard.

1/3 Ligero 1/3 Seco 1/3 Volado.

Yasmel rolls a beautiful cigar. The cigar feels slightly moist in the hand but it is right weight. Strong funky, barnyard aroma.

image5093.jpg

image5094.jpg

image5095.jpg

Clipped the cap and the draw was perfect. The draw at cold was rich tobacco and coarse black pepper.

Gently fired up the foot and immediately the weight on the palate brought a smile to my face. Chewy, dark, dank. Sweet tobacco...light molasses sweet with a real black pepper hit but surprisingly little white pepper when expunged through the nose. For all its flavour it is medium...medium full in body. Loving this cigar. Check out the ash for such a young cigar.

image5096.jpg

image5097.jpg

Past the first third it was truly a full bodied cigar. Black pepper and black coffee has turned the previous molasses into a bastardised licorice. This is no Hollywood production but rather a sexy French cult film ...all dark and angular ....where hedonism hangs heavy and you know that a good sex scene is just around the corner. The aroma of this cigar is a mix of ripe fruit and wet campfire wood.

To my amazement the power/body eased off in the last third and the cigar reverted back to medium. There is still this licorice and rich vuelta Abajo tobacco which is fresh, strong, robust.

The cigar has taken me back to Havana. To the tasting room of Partagas, to the rolling tables at Upmann or Laguito.

One can ask no more.

Fantastic cigar. What I would give for 10,000 of these. Well done Yasmel.

93/100

image5098.jpg

» Over the next week we will be sampling a series of cigars rolled for me by

» Partagas Level 9 roller Yasmel Rodriguez. Yasmel is a very fine roller and

» before his time with us was quite a sober and conscientious young man.

»

» image5092.jpg

»

Oh...you wrote something under the picture

• 1 month later...