Day 2 Tasting Series: Yasmel Mareva "Double Wrapper"

El Presidente

Great review Rob...When I read you had Yasmel apply a double wrapper, my thoughts were exactly what you experienced - a wet blanket that would suppress the little nuances in flavor previously experienced in the standard.

This is a very interesting series and can't wait to read the rest of the reviews.

One question...Do you think, have you of waited a few months, the cigar may have dried out and the double wrapper might have contributed more in the way of flavors instead of suppress them?

Great stuff Rob. Sorry it didn't live up to the first.

The was a buttoned up librarian who used to call me her delectable bastard after the doors closed at night. Wish I could say more, but they'll throw the book at me if I do. :-P

» One question...Do you think, have you of waited a few months, the cigar

» may have dried out and the double wrapper might have contributed

» more in the way of flavors instead of suppress them?

Perhaps but I think that the double wrapper would always "take away" more than it "added" particularly when blending a full bodied cigar where the fire in the belly is the filler mix. The wrapper in such a case calls, works and changes the filler flavours like a witch over a cauldron. Add a second wrapper and you have one too many cooks in the kitchen.

Fascinating.

It seems that predicting the influence of the wrapper would only be possible if one knew the characteristics of the bunch blend and the wrapper. So, it might be possible to take advantage of two wrappers but only in special cases. For example, a spicy wrapper and a sweet wrapper over an appropriate blend might make for an interesting cigar.

Wilkey

• 10 months later...

Day 2 Tasting Series: Yasmel Mareva "Double Wrapper"

For those new to the series read the first [link=http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/board_entry.php?id=69660&page=0&order=last_answer&descasc=DESC&category=all]Link[/link]

Today we have the Yasmel Mareva Double Wrapper.

Yasmel Mareva Double Wrapper

1/3 Ligero 1/3 Seco 1/3 Volado.

Double wrapper applied.

Again a beautiful looking mareva perfectly rolled. Love his work. Same funky barnyard aroma of the "Standard" Mareva. Good level of oil reminding me of a newly formed spider web on a dewy morning. Slightly moist to the touch.

image5103.jpg

image5104.jpg

image5105.jpg

I really has no idea what to expect with this cigar nor with any others in the series. The "Standard" was one of the finest Mareva's I have had in a long time perhaps since he Habanos 2000 release.

I clipped the cap to find another perfect draw. Look at the picture of the foot of the cigar...spot on.The palate in the pre light draw tastes much the same as the stadard with rich tobacco and coarse black pepper.

I gently toasted the foot and the cigar took readily to flame. Medium bodied and there were all the underlying elements of the "Standard" but in a far more subdued manner. The previous chewy, dark, sweet tobacco was there but in a "Light" format. Hard to describe but I was under no illusion that there was a barrier or blanket interfering with the soul of the cigar. The aroma is sweet, rich and intoxicating. The flavour creamier than the standard and the creaminess dilutes many of the underlying flavours. There is no doubt this is a different cigar...different flavour profile....somehow unbalanced.

image5106.jpg

The burn and ash on this cigar is nowhere near as consistent as the "Standard" which held its ash and burn beautifully. This is more of a struggle as if the Mareva is battling with extra baggage. We are still in a medium bodied format but the flavours far more restrained. There is a wild side there but it is not being permitted to shine through. The core flavours into the second third are high quality sweet rich tobacco with a little pepper. No white pepper through the nose. Aroma still excellent. I have used the Librarian with the buttoned up blouse before.....you know there is more underneath waiting to be released. This cigar is playing it prim and propper. I don't know whether to appreciate it for what it is or feed it half a dozen Margarita's to loosten it up to see what lies beneath.

image5107.jpg

The final third continues in its medium bodied profile. Calm, relaxed although stumbling with its burn and ash. There has been no change in complexity with this cigar....no delectable bastard licorice....just sweet tobacco and cream with mild hints of black pepper.

I feel a little guilty in that I have created a cigar with a genetic flaw. The additional wrapper has proved to be a wet blanket which supresses the underlying flavours instead of enhancing them. This is a completely different cigar to the "standard". In isolation it would be a very good cigar to all who tasted. But in comparison to the benchmark it is merely a shadow.

86/100

image5110.jpg

• 1 month later...
Fascinating.

It seems that predicting the influence of the wrapper would only be possible if one knew the characteristics of the bunch blend and the wrapper. So, it might be possible to take advantage of two wrappers but only in special cases. For example, a spicy wrapper and a sweet wrapper over an appropriate blend might make for an interesting cigar.

Wilkey

Kind of like some of the "Barber Pole" rolled cigars out there?

Was wondering if the muted flavor and stragly ash is due to a lower heat level being generated at the wrapper layers?

Looking forward to the next roll results!