Giant Pike

El Presidente

Rob,

I have been chasing Trophy Pike all over Canada for years. I heard about this fish when it was first caught. Looked more like a European sized Pike. I have fished this expansive body of water and would not doubt such a brute could exist in this lake. It is a multi-species trophy lake.

rob showed me that on the balcony the other day and i was blown away. fantastic.

great photos, especially the third.

the book, 'the scream of the reel' relates a story from a long time ago when some guys off the northern part of the great barrier reef decided to see if they could find just how big sharks grew up there. they caught a very large spanish mackeral (these grow to 100lbs plus) to use as live bait. this was many many miles offshore out past the edge of the reef and they were using the heaviest gear they could. after many hours, the thing took off but was quickly run down and a long fight followed, around 20 hours if i recall correctly. they finally had a massive shark they reckoned was near 20 foot (that said, on my second trip to the outer swains, we had a hammerhead as company for about 30 minutes. we were in a large boat thank god but this was around the time that 'jaws' came out. this hammerhead would have been 6 foot plus bigger than it). but back to the story. they could se the shark through the water. it was exhausted, as were they. suddenly (and remember that they were probably 100 miles offshore), the shark became agitated. the guys then swear blind that something swallowed the shark and not only that, swallowed it sideways. who knows if it is true or not but there are some big things out there and i'll be happy to stick to photos of them.

» the shark became agitated. the guys then swear blind that

» something swallowed the shark and not only that, swallowed it sideways.

» who knows if it is true or not but there are some big things out there and

» i'll be happy to stick to photos of them.

How fast did that boat make it back to port?! :lookaround:

The most amazing thing I ever saw in nature was very similar to this.

A great friend and I were close to Sioux Lookout, Canada, fishing in a musky sanctaury(catch and release with barbless hooks). Our Native American guide was goofing off fishing topwater for smallmouth. He hooked a 3-4 lb football of a smallie that was jumping about when suddenly, it took off like a bat out of hell. Out of nowhere, a 50 inch musky came and broadsided the smallie and started swimming with it hanging from each side of it's mouth. The guide reeled it towards us and just as I put the cradle net underneath it, the musky let go and flopped out. What is even more amazing is that the musky swam around under the boat seemingly confused and looking for it's meal. The minute the guide released the badly scuffed smallie, the musky zeroed in and the last I saw of them was the smallie disappearing into some downed trees, with the musky in hot pursuit.

Seeing that musky gently gliding around with that hooked smallie in its mouth was a real treat.

» The most amazing thing I ever saw in nature was very similar to this.

something else similar, my old man, still the best fisherman i've ever seen, would do a reef trip every year. one year, i'd been given a small game rod and i'd found a brand new penn senator 4/0 reel in a store mispriced at $25. dad took them, although in those days it was handlines usually. he gave these a go using on large hook with a tiny one to hold a slab of fillet up the top of the big hook. usual targets were coral trout, sweetlip, an occasional red emperor etc. dad hook one of these, fair size, and was hauling it up from the depths when bang. lot of sharks up there and everyone presumed shark had it but dad decided to fight it for some fun. two hours later, he had a massive spanish mackeral on board. they didn't weigh it but i can se the photo from where i type and it was as long as dad was tall (about 5' 10"). estimates of 100lbs plus.

the amazing thing was that these things normally don't get caught unless you you have solid wire traces as the teeth are razors. this thing had been caught in the very corner of its mouth by the tiny hook and had never been able to get to the line to slash it.

• 9 months later...

Here

is a Canadian Fish Story for

you

Thanks to Mike for sending this through :-)

Awesome Catch On A Lake

In Canada 56"

- 55lbs.

This

is a new record Northern Pike in Canada. He caught it on Rainy

Lake .

Check this thing out.. The

man (in the photos below), was

fishingand

caught a 36" Pike, as he was reeling it in, a 56" Pike tried to eat it

!!!!!

He landed them both in