Colt45

» The Yasmel Mareva Seco continues into the final third well balanced,

» medium in body and quite complex. The wrapper here is adding so much with

» its youthful bite and sweetness. It works very well with the leather

» creaminess in the mid palate. The hints of citrus come and go and are very

» light. The aroma is floral/sandalwood. I suspect that once the cigar ages

» it would become quite a boring individual as there is a lack of complexity

» outside of the core.

Rob, thanks for another great installment. I'm not trying to nitpick, but I think I'm missing something

as to the complexity references?

It's not about the topic on this thread though....

I am always fun to read your review but sometime feel the difference of cigar taste between you and me.

I guess that It's from the difference of each meal cultures.

So, I wonder What do you Australian eat to grow?

By the by, It's a humble reference. Japanese likes to smoke HdMs rather than JLs. On the contrary You guys Australian , American often refer to JLs.

It's rare to be seen here.

thanks

» » I am not sensitiv to nitpicking.....nitpick all you F####ng want. ;-)

»

» Yes - thank you for being the kind, gentle, and understanding person you

» are......

» »

» »

» »

» »

» »

» »

» P.S. sensitive is spelled with an E at the end.

Colt45, Rob will serve 'em up, you just hit them out the park!:lol2:

» » » I am not sensitiv to nitpicking.....nitpick all you F####ng want. ;-)

» »

» » Yes - thank you for being the kind, gentle, and understanding person

» you

» » are......

» » »

» » »

» » »

» » »

» » »

» » »

» » P.S. sensitive is spelled with an E at the end.

»

» Colt45, Rob will serve 'em up, you just hit them out the park!:lol2:

Odd little mistakes aside another great learning experience. I can't wait till the next one. Hey Prez. if you puke smoking that lijero stick will you have the balls to fess it up?;-)

• 9 months later...

Day Test 4 Yasmel Mareva Seco

Blend: 100% Seco filler.

I love the aroma of these cigars at cold. Each is a mirror image of the other. Pungent barnyard mixed with old wet leather.

Construction is again flawless. The wrapper is supple and slick to the touch but it is veiny and bumpy. Oils are prevalent and having sampled a few cigars with this wrapper I have come to love it. The cap well formed and the foot displays a perfect bunch.

image5140.jpg

image5141.jpg

image5142.jpg

Clipped the cap and took a long pre-light draw while contemplating what I expected from this cigar. The pre-light draw was sweet and rich no doubt due much to the wrapper.

So what an I expecting?.....The Volado had far more body than I gave could have ever believed. The Seco should have a little more since conventional belief is that is has more body than Volado but less than Ligero. It purportedly assists aroma. From pulling apart cigars over the years I have noted that some cigars (HDM DC, HDM Dieux, Sancho Panza Beli) have a higher proportion of Seco to Volado and Ligero is under 20% of the filler leaves and sometimes as low as 10%. I have assumed that Seco plays an integral role in blending and that often it is used as the principal player in the blend.

I gently toasted the foot. The aroma is quite spectacular. Floral, wood, dense, rich. Pure medium body on the palate. Great viscous mouthfeel. Citrus, cloves, dry grass, leather wash over the tongue. Sweet molasses plays in the background and on the lips while Black pepper corals the flavours like a Blue Heeler dog. It settles relatively quickly into three distinct elements.

1. Sweet rich tobacco and black pepper (wrapper as this flavour is consistent to all cigars tasted to date).

2. Core of leather, a little cream and a definite citrus peel hint.

3. Straight Medium bodied. Just a shade fuller than the Volado but not as much as I had expected.

image5143.jpg

image5144.jpg

Well into the second third there are three flavours that I am wondering if we can put down to Seco being citrus, leather and cream. None of these flavours were present in the “Volado” cigar and I look forward to trying the “Ligero” to see if that tasting can shed some light. The burn of this cigar requires continued correction and it is a pain in the proverbial.

The Yasmel Mareva Seco continues into the final third well balanced, medium in body and quite complex. The wrapper here is adding so much with its youthful bite and sweetness. It works very well with the leather creaminess in the mid palate. The hints of citrus come and go and are very light. The aroma is floral/sandalwood. I suspect that once the cigar ages it would become quite a boring individual as there is a lack of complexity outside of the core. It started and is ending in much the same way. Very good cigar…a more complete cigar than the Volado. It has introduced Citrus, leather and cream into the mid body mix….are these Seco characteristics?

There is something missing but I can now for the first time understand why some thinner gauge cigars have no Ligero at all. Quality Seco has a depth of flavour and a complexity all of its own. Matched to the correct wrapper and in say a 33-36 format you would have a cracker of a cigar which can be fuller in body or lighter in style dependent on the characteristics of the wrapper used. You would need a little Volado to help the burn as well because this tasting was a frustrating exercise at times.

image5145.jpg

image5146.jpg

• 1 month later...