Day 6 Tasting Series: Yasmel Mareva "Ligero one side"

El Presidente

» » Interesting. Can Ken chime in as to what his expectations were of this

» » particular format request?

»

» Ken didn't get one ;-)

My fault, you did say that you blame Wilkey for the idea. Anything wacky and my brain immediately blames Ken. My fault. The question still applies. I wonder what Wilkey was thinking when he suggested it, or however the idea came about.

» Again (just like the “standard”) the cigar eased off by the second third.

» I wonder why? Is it a real change in intensity or has my palate

» acclimatized? I wonder if a future experiment is possible where the same

» cigar (same blend) could be rolled and 1/3 clipped off the second. Would

» the body of the second cigar be the same (after the opening assault)?

Can you see a reason within the cigar's blend why it should ease off in the 2nd third? From your description of how they were rolled, I wouldnt think so.

The palate, however, adapts IMHO. For example, when I drink a regular / cheap whisky that's too warm (say room temp in the summer), it bites like hell in my mounth. If I keep on drinking it, after 3 or 4 sips, it's ok. Well, almost ok... and the whisky hasnt changed, so it must be my palate or my interpretation of the info it sends to my brain or something like that.

• 9 months later...

Day 6 Tasting Yasmel Mareva “Ligero down one side”

Blend: Bunched Volado Seco 1/3rd each (2/3rds) Ligero placed down the side of the filler (1/3rd)

I blame Wilkey for this experiment. Yasmel asked me “por qué?” and all I could respond with is ¿porqué no?

I am not sure what to expect in terms of flavour changes from the “Standard”. We have the same proportion of filler leaves but simply in a different format. If anything I suspect that without the bunched interplay of Volado, Seco, Ligero then we would lose complexity. Yet, lilting, nuanced complexity was not the prime feature of the “Standard” as was sheer bastardized licorice (I described to Smithy as “licorice for men”) with black pepper and sweet molasses.

Another great looking cigar. Some veins on the wrapper but it is supple and oily and smelling of rich tobacco and sweet pancakes. Clipped the cap and the pre light draw was pure Vuelta Abajo tobacco and that trademark (in this series) sweetness on the lips.

image5160.jpg

image5161.jpg

image5162.jpg

Fired up the foot (with a little trepidation after yesterdays Ligero experiment) and it was almost with some relief that I was met almost immediately with chewy, dark, dank sweet tobacco in a medium full body. The aroma is dense sweet tobacco and slowly burning campfire. This was the “Standard” all over again at least at the opening stages. I felt I was being visited by an old flame….one of your fist loves/lusts who pops out of nowhere and you flashback in seconds to all the great sex you had just before you remember you are now married and that she ended up being a psychopath who still probably holds your record collection (she can keep the Lionel Ritchie).

Where was I…..yes…the first inch of this cigar has that medium to full bodied lushness, that dark only slightly sweetened licorice blended with a black pepper hit which sets off the sweetness perfectly. Through the nose it is vibrant with the pepper biting slightly.

image5163.jpg

Again (just like the “standard”) the cigar eased off by the second third. I wonder why? Is it a real change in intensity or has my palate acclimatized? I wonder if a future experiment is possible where the same cigar (same blend) could be rolled and 1/3 clipped off the second. Would the body of the second cigar be the same (after the opening assault)? Would need to be smoked on consecutive days first up in the morning. An experiment for another day.

One difference to this cigar is the burn. It is a struggle to keep it on an even keel wishing to burn faster down one side.

image5164.jpg

The second third is medium bodied holding the Licorice and pepper aspects of the opening but here I note a difference to the “Standard”. The “Standard” produced some definitive black coffee notes whereas in this third the cigar produces an almost Monte 4 coffee cream. I can taste the Ligero through the darker pepper/coal elements but there is an unmistaken coffee cream nuance (lilting licorice working great with this mix) which lingers on the palate. Is this Volado and Seco working together in the absence of 1/3 ligero rolled within? Only guessing but I have noted to have rolled for me a Seco/Volado 50/50 mix and a Seco/Volado/Ligero 40/40/ 20. I wonder if I can replicate in part that coffee cream flavour of the finest Montecristo’s.

The final third increases in body and the coffee cream disappears to be replaced with the darker more brooding elements of licorice, pepper, dark molasses. A hint of bitterness on the end but I have thoroughly enjoyed this cigar which is in many ways a mirror image of the “Standard” excluding a wonky burn. Subtle differences are there in terms of flavour but I would say that it is 90% the same smoking experience and what a bloody good experience it was.

image5165.jpg

image5166.jpg

• 1 month later...