A day away with my son

El Presidente

You are a nasty piece of work :lol:

Oh contrare. As I was playing the fish Ben thought he saw another longtail following mine....he was right. So he took it upon himself to cast at it tangling his line on mine. I thought he took lessons off Ken on how to sabotage a fish.

I cut his line.

Great pics. I look forward to taking my kids tuna fishing when they are older.

Good God how many days off do you get. I am starting to think you are just stuck on a very elaborate walkabout.

Out of sheer scientific interest, I would be interested in the ratio of work-non work days for you Rob. I'll bet Lisa has that chart. :-D

And no you cannot count days where you eat a huge meal and drink alot of wine and smoke three cigars that you muse thoughtfully about. Ken already claimed that M.O.

» Out of sheer scientific interest, I would be interested in the ratio of

» work-non work days for you Rob. I'll bet Lisa has that chart. :-D

»

» And no you cannot count days where you eat a huge meal and drink alot of

» wine and smoke three cigars that you muse thoughtfully about. Ken already

» claimed that M.O.

I never separarte business and pleasure. On that basis I never stop working ;-)

Al the season is only 6 - 8 weeks long. Starts March and runs through to Mid May.

»

» And no you cannot count days where you eat a huge meal and drink alot of

» wine and smoke three cigars that you muse thoughtfully about. Ken already

» claimed that M.O.

what do you mean MO? that is work for me. isn't that what everyone does?

as for rob, it is simply because he has no porpoise. oh, what a tailor roe.

and as for getting between old harpoon harry and a fish , absolutely true (he catches so few)

What a great day to spend with your son Rob. To be able to fly fish in that type of wind and weather and land some already skittish fish is amazing mate! How long has Ben been flyfishing?

By the looks of the Longtail, it looks similar to our Bluefin Tuna...great eating I'm sure.

And I notice those hideous shorts aren't in the pictures...did you take my advice and use strips of them for chum?:cool:

» What a great day to spend with your son Rob. To be able to fly fish in that

» type of wind and weather and land some already skittish fish is amazing

» mate! How long has Ben been flyfishing?

» By the looks of the Longtail, it looks similar to our Bluefin Tuna...great

» eating I'm sure.

» And I notice those hideous shorts aren't in the pictures...did you take my

» advice and use strips of them for chum?:cool:

:lol: It was a bit wet and cool for my lucky fishing shorts :-D

Ben has been fly fishing for two years. His cast is solid, very tight loops but at 14 he lacks the back cast strength and punch you need when dealing with strong winds. Where possible (and when the fish allowed us) we positioned him so the wind was coming parallel to his casting shoulder. He still casts a good 15 feet further than Ken :lol:

Kids are quite amazing when you give them a fly rod young. With very little tuition they get the feel of how to properly load a fly rod very quckly. I have tutored plenty of adults on fly casting and what takes a year for them to learn, a 12 year old will pick up in a month.

That is not to say that I am a crack caster. I can empty the fly line from a cast but spending time with a Fly casting professional like Gavin Platz just shows you how much there is to learn.

» we positioned him so the wind was coming parallel to his casting

» shoulder. He still casts a good 15 feet further than Ken :lol:

»

» That is not to say that I am a crack caster. I can empty the fly line from

» a cast but spending time with a Fly casting professional like Gavin Platz

» just shows you how much there is to learn.

so it is like father, like son? does beat the water on his every backcast as tho churning butter?

and i could empty my reel if i kept it to 8 foot only of fly line.

rob, forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question, but do you keep those fish and take them home to eat? i would think so, but i know that fishing/hunting is very regulated so i wasn't sure.

i am hoping to start fishing around my area for bass and catfish simply to be able to catch and eat my own fish. i'd love to go out fishing with you one day when i DO make it over there. maybe i'll have some experience by then to do it properly.

bruce

Bruce...no we didn't keep any fish and all were released safe and well. To be honest the Long Tail Tuna would have fed 15 people and it would have been a waste.

I rarely keep the catch when I am fishing. If I am in the mood I will take one or two home to cook that night but unless I intend to eat them immediately I will not take any at all.

Fish are a resource under immense pressure and I hope that I play a small part in educating my children that you can gain as much pleasure in pure sport fishing as you can in "kill and grill". Again I have no problem taking enough home for the family to eat but I get livid when I see people rape a school and then fillet and freeze.

Look forward to fishing with you Bruce!

» Bruce...no we didn't keep any fish and all were released safe and well. To

» be honest the Long Tail Tuna would have fed 15 people and it would have

» been a waste.

»

» I rarely keep the catch when I am fishing. If I am in the mood I will take

» one or two home to cook that night but unless I intend to eat them

» immediately I will not take any at all.

»

» Fish are a resource under immense pressure and I hope that I play a small

» part in educating my children that you can gain as much pleasure in pure

» sport fishing as you can in "kill and grill". Again I have no problem

» taking enough home for the family to eat but I get livid when I see people

» rape a school and then fillet and freeze.

»

» Look forward to fishing with you Bruce!

good to know. even if i end up fishing around my area i doubt i'll take much home. of course in a week's time i could easily eat about 5-6 fish on my own and that's if i'm not cooking for the lady and i. i eat alot of fish whenever possible.

bruce

• 5 weeks later...