Time to put up or shut up: Ken....need photos of NZ Fish

El Presidente

like i have nothing better to do. new grange and its friends have arived for tasting but no, i'll put that to one side and go and search.

i do regret that i could not find the fly i used for a few of them - literally a small piece of pink rubber band tied to a hook. nothing more.

» couple of photos didn't take (or rob has jealously editied them). the belt

» is to prevent water flooding into the waders should one upend oneself,

» thereby preventing one from drowning, hopefully.

»

Lose the belt ;-)

» So........ I estimate that the trip worked out at around $1000 per fish :-D

actuablly probably closer to $600 per fish but think of all the holidays we've all been on where there was not even any fishing. makes this a bargain.

so a bit over $100 per lb of fish.

» Great photos Ken, looks like a great place. I can wait to wet a line

» myself, I will be going this weekend.:-D

this was around the nelson lakes in the north part of the south island of nz. to be honest, this is close to perfect, aside from being too far away, too exy, too many sandflies. too many kiwis goes without saying.

for all the research, reading, chatting etc i've done, i cannot find evidence of a better place to fish for bown trout on the planet. anyone knows of one, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

some of the country is really wonderful.

image6394.jpgimage6395.jpg

this was the first fish but took until day 2 to catch. toughest fishing i have seen here, for all sorts of reasons but i guess that is half the fun. they all sat either side of five pounds.

image6396.jpg

this one was last cast of the second day way up the matikitiki. we needed about an hour and a half to walk back on a straight line. put up a fantastic fight as it was foul hooked in the dorsal (they all count) and went into the backing. in the middle of it, when he'd gone way up river, strayed into another trout's territory and they went for each other (mine had a small handicap, given a hook in its back). never sen that before.

image6397.jpgimage6398.jpg

apparently they filmed quite a bit of the lord of the rings around here for the caves scenes. for one section, i'm told by my guide (who was booked to guide viggo mortenson but his dad arrived that day) that they flew 120 people up into the mountains every day for five weeks and then used all of 30 seconds of the filming!

image6399.jpg

there was a trout behind this rock. i started about 8 feet behind it but by the end was literally over him. reckoni cast 150 times at him. no interest.

image6400.jpg

this is on the matikitiki - leads into a gorge you cannot get into to fish. have had fun here before but no luck on this day (first day - second day, we went to the same river but much higher up, past the gorge).

image6401.jpg

from the last day, and a piece of rubber band!image6403.jpg

blind casting in the rain on the owen.image6404.jpg

an impossibly cute trib of the owen, the fyfe, with a few decent fish. apparently a well known spawning creek. there is a decent fish under here but gave up after almost an hour of different flies. got him to cirlce one and have a look at a bfew others but they were tough. image6405.jpg

last one for the trip.image6406.jpg

des and i enjoying cigars before heading home (god, that sounds so like something out of the back of cig afic!)image6407.jpg