Bolivar Royal Corona (possibly 2006)

I am surprised that no one else has reviewed this cigar for this round… so, I give you a shonky review. After sacrificing my last PC about two weeks ago, three of these are the only Bolivares in my Humi. I bought these as singles and, unfortunately, I do not have a box code (it was supplied to me but I seem to have misplaced it… bought mid last year, thus possibly ’06).

Glorious sunny autumn arvo: 19 C virtually breezeless after a lovely light lunch with family and friends (nephew’s b’day)…

I love the look and feel of this cigar: light brown wrapper just a shade short of colorado with an oily glimmer, slight box-press and nice weight on the hand, well packed foot and quite firm to touch but, alas, with a soft spot about 1/4 of it length away from the foot (evident also as a slight indentation).

At cold, it had a remarkably distinct honey sweet scent with a faint blue cheesy funkiness (it made me put the cigar down, smell my hands and the ambient to check whether the faint funky smell came from elsewhere… nop, definitely from the cigar). Clipped the cap to find clean hay on the lips and a hint of leather on the palate. The draw was perfect.

It opened with a well-defined leather core dominating over roasted coffee beans, very smooth and easy on the palate. Stronger notes of cedar and toasted tobacco quickly built up on top of the roasted coffee, leaving black tea lingering on the palate after each draw. The smoke volume is abundant; black pepper burning through the nose. Unfortunately, the burn is uneven and biased towards the soft spot… the dark grey ash is slightly ribbed, albeit flaky.

Towards the beginning of the second quarter, a nutty earth taste came to the fore yet retaining its smooth leathery texture and the cedar and coffee nuances. These elements did not change significantly until near the last third, however the smooth leathery texture allowed an interesting and balanced interplay in the intensities of these elements. Though there is no sweetness evident up to this point, the aroma of the smoke does have a faint sweet toasted cocoa character… the burn is atrocious.

Near the last third, it became somewhat mellower… unsweetened black tea and a flowery nuance similar to orange blossom. The texture is still leathery yet somewhat drier. After a few draws, the black tea momentarily melts into faintly sweet hay to return accompanied with raw cinnamon-like spice. The nicotine kick is noticeable from the word “go”, it unrelentingly increased through the last third, leaving me with a spinning head and singed fingers.

I reckon the smooth leather texture served to bind and balance this flavourful smoke. Sadly, the burn was a fight… it did not respond well to my attempts at correcting it.

87/100 (easily 92~93/100 with more acceptable construction and burn)

Edit: migrated to review forum

Thanks Zuma....funky Blue cheese...:-D The desctiption hit a note with me as I have also noted it occasionally but never put my finger on it.

Great review on a great day. Very similar to anacostiakat's review which augurs well for consistency.