Wednesday ……a day in the life of a Cigar retailer.

El Presidente

I can't decide if I'm more impressed with your write up or that after last night you can communicate coherently, a skill that I seem to have lost around midnight last night and haven’t been able to recover since.

Prez,

Thanks for sharing..U guys and gals rock !!!

Truly the lifestyle of champions and great event.

Hope to check out the C-Czar next month. Can't wait. Bring some NZ sav blancs for Lise and Diana.

Rugby, BBQ, Cigars and Booze. A perfect night! Great stuff.

On the topic of Rugby, quick shout out to my team Munster who play Toulouse in the European Heineken Cup Final on Sat.

Looks like a great time. Lisa and her sis look remarkably similar Rob. It must be the heavy drinking you do if you don't see that. Milkman didn't come around with free cream that day.

• Work on next 30 day cashflow. Cash not flowing

Why do I feel like there is going to be a big sale now ? Of course after I have bought what I can this month. Maybe you should consider serving McDonalds and Ripple wine for next event if cash flow doesn't improve.:-D

• 5 months later...

Wednesday ……a day in the life of a Cigar retailer.

The cab arrived on the dot at 6:15am. Gorgeous morning and the weather should be perfect for this evenings function.

I shouldn’t have had those glasses of Camus Cognac the day prior. Feeling slightly off my game.

Hopped in the cab and it is my favourite Jamaican cab driver (I only know one). I swear to god he waits at the corner every morning to see if I will catch a cab as this year alone he has picked me up six times. It took two trips for me just to work out what the hell he was saying. I hop in the front, say good morning and rather rudely pull out my laptop in the hope he would give me a silent trip to work. To no avail…he was bursting to say something within the first 2 kilometers. Then it started. Global warming (my fault), People living on unsustainable big blocks of land (my fault), People owing big Four Wheel Drive motorcars (I have three….my fault), Inflation (my fault), Polygamy (I made a joke that I am all for sex with three women simultaneously…..he pointed out that was not Polygamy…..that was simply immoral).

Czar house never looked so welcoming. Picked up my car and headed to breakfast with the boys. Was back within the hour as there is plenty to do. To the top deck, the rocking chair, the laptop and fire up a HDM Epicure Number 2 (back to their former glory).

• E-mails : all good today !LOL!

• Quick forums check.

• Check cigars for various members. RGCE looked particularly good (March 07).

• Diana gives me a shipping rundown. All good.

• Upmann Mag 50 and HDM’s here next month.

• Work on next 30 day cashflow. Cash not flowing

• Lise gives me sales and banking numbers + overall feel for what’s happening + member commentary “ Bob G is such a cutey, Carl is so nice, Look what Peter said about you in this e-mail” Note to self: Ensure Peter gets plugged cigars.

• Ken rings me….again. Can’t make it tonight. Too busy working. My house is too cold. My feet are too big. I lost my pants.

11am and Lise gives me a shopping list. Beer/Wine/Steak/Ice. The list looked exactly like the shopping list when I was 19. Picked up the booty and prepped the function area as best I can. Still waiting on hire bars, stools, external audio/visual system. Lise is the master of functions and everything runs smooth.

We will have around 35 here tonight to watch the big game. I love these guys as they are the heart and soul of the local crew.

Peter Borghouts pops in. Pete is the National ORIS watch manager and through www.friendsoforis.com we are his major client. Pete is a garrulous cigar loving 150kg black belt with a quick wit and a turn of phrase that would make a sailor blush. Warren who is one of our ORIS forum moderators pops in as well and we spend a few hours looking at the new range of ORIS watches while enjoying a bottle of wine and some cigars. Issues covered are: Forward sales projections, currency, price rises, competition, custom watches, quality issues, warranty.

Both Peter and Warren will be staying for the function so I was in no hurry to finish.

Lise has everything under control although the Audio guys can’t get sound for the outdoor visual. Lise is getting more furious by the second. Guests will be arriving in 30 minutes.

I know that the less Lise says the angrier she is. The Audio guys don’t seize on this important morsel of information.

I say to Lise “Honey…it will work out…don’t worry”. She replies “when they do an effing site inspection to prep…..they should do it effing properly”. I look over at the two lads working feverishly in the equipment and wonder if they know that should they fail….they have 30 minutes to live.

I put a 50 cab of RASS and 25 D4 on the central table and we are ready to rumble.

We have picture and sound! WoooooHooooo! Guests are arriving. BBQ gets turned on. I pour a glass of wine and say hello to some bloody good mates. Lise is hugging everything in reach.

The crowd quickly builds and we have the perfect mix of good friends, good cigars, good food/wine and cold beer.

Frank (Lisa’s husband) cooks up fantastic rib fillet steak burgers with onion and home made coleslaw. Football nights with the boys should be kept simple….but quality is important.

Diana reminds me again it is her birthday next week while complimenting me on the choice of Sauvignon Blanc (I actually bought it to give to Ken…..but I will always take a compliment). Diana for those that do not know is Lisa’s sister and she runs our shipping logistics. Diana and Lisa look nothing alike. Once I meet the older sister “Lucy” I will know which one of these two has been adopted. Lise and Diana are two great birds. I am blessed to have them.

I light up a RASS and all is good in the world. Queensland just needs to win tonights game and it would be a great end to a great day. Unfortunately they played with the enthusiasm of roadkill and we were beaten 18-10 by a better team on the night.

Checked the alcohol supplies. 14 bottles of red drunk + 3 cases of beer. 10:30 pm and time to go home right? Well no one was in a hurry and so liquid reinforcements were found. Frank did a second round on the BBQ.

I caught a cab and got home at 3am. Please lord….not the Jamaican Cab driver in the morning.

There is a BBQ somewhere in there.

image6589.jpg

Frank at the Q

image6590.jpg

Good mate PJ Byrne. Uncanny resemblance to Chief Wiggum.

image6591.jpg

Alain our resident Humidor master.

image6592.jpg

Alain and Warren

image6593.jpg

Must have been early in the night

image6594.jpg

Two sisters? They obviously didn't have DNA testing back then.

image6595.jpg

Arthur and Diana's husband Michael.

image6596.jpg

Lisa and husband Frank. Good to see Frank smiling (Lisa made him)

image6597.jpg

The good guys

image6598.jpg

The bad guys

image6599.jpg

Shagga Bowden.

image6600.jpg

» Hopped in the cab and it is my favourite Jamaican cab driver (I only know

» one). I swear to god he waits at the corner every morning to see if I will

» catch a cab as this year alone he has picked me up six times. It took two

» trips for me just to work out what the hell he was saying.

» image6573.jpg

His twin brother is working in H.Upmann factory bro!

Have you tried speaking spanish to him?

:rotfl: