Radical Temperature changes

Hey Lads

OMG I just came back from a weekend in Montreal and it was an awesome time I purposed to the girlfriend and got to go smoke a RyJ Churchill less then an hour later. The whole weekend was amzing until I came home to Toronto to find the house at 77 degrees which was the same as the humidor I called a friend and he said hit the reset button on the furnace and lo and behold it worked. My question is my Habanos have been sitting at 70 degrees all the time but to come home after 4 days and see them sitting there at 77 (God only knows what they got to during the day)

Does a Temp change screw me for ageing them like that in my case I have the AC running again to go to 70

Is it gonna them to bring it down that fast? I hope not as I have to recouperate from the weekend!

BTW she said yes!!!

PS I found the Min Ron ee encyclopedia at the LCDH in Montreal and bought it with the permission of the GF What a read it is. I learned more in 5 hours on the train with it then all the B&M merchants put together

If you dont have it. get it I kid not

» Does a Temp change screw me for ageing them like that in my case I have

» the AC running again to go to 70

I don't think that change is going to affect your sticks, it'll probably take a while for the inside of your pad to drop and your humi has some thermal mass it'll have to overcome to get to an equilibrium with the environment.

I'd be more concerned with a possible beetle outbreak at that (or higher!) temperature.

» BTW she said yes!!!

Congrats!

The only thing I think you need to be concerned with is the wrapper swelling and then spliting at the foot. Warmer air holds more moisture. 70F/70% holds 17662.82ppm of water. A sudden flux in temperature to 77F will hold 22451.78ppm of water. The equivalent %RH @ 70F would 88%. But it's going to take your cigars several days at these conditions to really be affected. Here is an excellent online tool to compare values of temperature and humidity.

http://www.vaisala.com/humiditycalculator/...calculator.html

Now I'm going to speak the unspeakable. No worries mate. These things are not a brittle as some might think. I carry a traveldor around and have had the cigars get quite hot in the truck(not for days) and be exposed to sub freezing temps in the winter and not have any problems with my cigars. My God man some put the cigars from room temperature into freezers below zero!:-D

Four days at 77 ain't ****. Relax and smoke one.

Questions.

1. What conditons do the cigars undergo in a trans-oceanic flight and USPS trip yopur house?

2. How cold is the bottom?

3. How hot is the top?

4. Do they see extremely low humidity and pressure in the plane?

you should see the temp changes in transit. twice I have asked vendor to put a digita hygro in package right before boxed and shipped.

One shipment from UK . checked highest and lowest temp on hygro. 97 degrees was highest recorded, and 17 degrees f was lowest.

once then from HK. low was 72 degrees and highest was 118 degrees.

depending on the flight, they wi go to either extreme. Just make sure mailman doesnt leave them on truck over weekend with 100 degree temps.:-(

» One shipment from UK . checked highest and lowest temp on hygro. 97

» degrees was highest recorded, and 17 degrees f was lowest.

»

» once then from HK. low was 72 degrees and highest was 118 degrees.

»

» depending on the flight, they wi go to either extreme.

Interesting experiment... definitely worth keeping in mind that we probably get to fanatical with 'ideal' storage sometimes.

Its clear there is some leeway when it comes to the ideal.

» you should see the temp changes in transit. twice I have asked vendor to

» put a digita hygro in package right before boxed and shipped.

» One shipment from UK . checked highest and lowest temp on hygro. 97

» degrees was highest recorded, and 17 degrees f was lowest.

»

» once then from HK. low was 72 degrees and highest was 118 degrees.

»

» depending on the flight, they wi go to either extreme. Just make sure

» mailman doesnt leave them on truck over weekend with 100 degree temps.:-(

:clap: Very very good.

You would assume same from Havana to the worlds distributors. Part of the reason Habanos started freezing their cigars is that climate controlled airfreight shipping (expensive) could be dispensed with.

• 8 years later...

I'm hoping to address my paranoia about freezing temperatures and shipping as us northern hemisphere folks enter the winter months.  Say cigars spend several days in transit at 10 F / -12 C.  I'll certainly want to keep those out on the counter for a few hours before I throw them in the humidor.  Should I take the extra step of putting them in the fridge (ziplocked) for a few hours to lessen the shock from sub-freezing to room temperature?  

I have found that cigars are a lot tougher then people tend to think. 

Ive had packages sit in my mail box for a good week here in sunny Alberta at -25 and lit one up frozen solid while tossing the rest in the humi. I would maybe let them thaw a bit to avoid risk of condensation but normally they go straight to bed in the humi

• Like 1