Ramon Allones & RASS Flavors

We have been welcoming quite a few new members recently, some of whom really are new to Cuban cigars in general and do not really have a lot of experience in what Cuban cigars taste like.

Last week I loaded up the Traveldor for when Rob was in town and one of the cigars that did not get pulled then was a 2001 Ramon Allones Specially Selected, a RASS for those not familar with the marca. I have had these for nearly 4 years now and they are just about gone. :-( I am writing this as I smoke the RASS because I was so inspired by the pure joy of the flavors. To me, a well aged RASS is a wonderful cigar to smoke. From the first draw, the sweet "stewed fruit" flavors were present. I am talking about rich dates, raisins, apricots, currants mixed with leather and spice that Ramon Allones is known for in my humble opinion.Mouthfulls of smoke each time I draw on the cigar cover my palate and when I exhale the smoke through my nose, it enriches the intensity of the flavors for me. The age of the cigar has mellowed the typical tannic essence of a younger cigar, but fear not, this is sheer bliss smoking this RASS.

The closest Ramon Allones in these flavors to me is the long ago and nearly forgotten RA 898.

My question for the rest of the forum, is what flavors do you experience when you smoke a RASS and do you find different flavors in different vitolas in the marca? Let's have a good discussion about flavors for those not familar with Ramon Allones.

Tampa

Being one who has heard oodles about RASS and RASCC and never tried them, it would be nice to know if the 07-08 RASS are as flavorful and smoking well.

Hear that they need some age and that 07-08 RASCC smoke real fine.

True?

Sorry if this a Hijack Chuck. :-D

No HiJack Demi, actually you are one of the new members that I wrote this post for.

I have smoked several 07 RASS that are smoking very nicely, while not quite as flavorful in the "Stewed Fruit" aspect, they are smoking like 3 year old aged RASS to me, VERY much worth smoking right now.

» No HiJack Demi, actually are one of the new members that I wrote this post

» for.

»

» I have smoked several 07 RASS that are smoking very nicely, while not

» quite as flavorful in the "Stewed Fruit" aspect, they are smoking like 3

» year old aged RASS to me, VERY much worth smoking right now.

The 07 RASS is a great cigar right now. In fact, I liked the box code I am smoking so much that I ordered two of the exact same codes from Lisa a few weeks ago. Have not had the 08 to comment.

The 07 RASSC is also a great smoke. Need to get a few more boxes of these as well. The 08 RASSC are not near the level and are very tannic. They need a lot of rest IMO.

I am talking about rich dates, raisins, apricots, currants mixed with leather and spice that Ramon Allones is known for in my humble opinion

Hard to improve on these, Chuck. But I'll try...

Along with these fruits, I've noted dried figs. I've also smoked some '01s that had a finish like mulled red wine; bittersweet well-fermented dark purple grapes that lingered in the mouth like a great cabernet.

I agree... the '07 RASS are noteworthy. If you don't put some of these away for posterity, posterity will never forgive you.

• Haha 1

I smoked my first RASS (I assume an 07) a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it. My palate is not nearly as sophisticated as Tampa's, but I thought it was a creamy earthy smoke, a little nutty. Maybe a little floral - but I think I might be confusing it with the Juan Lopez Seleccion #2.

I've only had a handful of Cuban cigars but the RASS is definitely one I will be returning to.

I get those rich nutty flavors as well as the stewed vegetal as well. Also some honey sweetness mixed in. The vegetal shows up more for me as they age.

These are great with appropriate age. The '07 I have tried was very impressive.

The only RAASS I've smoked have been from an '05 box. They've all been pitiful, which I'm sure

is an aberration, but is not much help here.

On the other hand, the '00 RA 898V I've been smoking have been intense, rich, flavorful. Stewed

fruits as mentioned, but over a core of rich tobacco with a dense mouth feel. Outstanding.

The '07 RASCC I've been smoking are still rather sharp and a bit harsh and need time, but the

underlying flavors are there.

And then we come to the '06 RA Estupendos RE........

To date for me, these have been a mixed bag. They show flashes of brilliance over a base of mediocrity.

They do show some RA fruit character, but what has stood out for me has been a sense of sweetness

the likes of cotton candy or bubble gum. Unfortunately the good has been overshadowed by the

lackluster. I do think that in time, these will improve.

But then add in the fact that these have suffered from poor (tight) draws, with fairly low smoke

volume, and I just can't justify the premium.

I've only smoked a few of my Estupendos & all so far have had no draw problems at all. Nice flavor, though I'm currently preferring the 05 Eminencias, as they are a stronger cigar.

The RAG is the RA cigar I have the most experience with and I find the predominant

flavors are of nuts. Cashews smothered in a rich tobacco taste. The '03s are fantastic.

As a relatively new member myself I want to thank you for the post Chuck. I want to say that I dont have any experience smoking any RA pre mid 06. I absolutely love the early 07 RASCC I have and of the few RASS I have smoked I find them to have a similar profile just less intense than the little buggers. I smoked a great RASS a few weeks ago thanks to a great BOTL that was just so smooth that I had to pick up a box. Now I am thinking of picking up a cab to lay down for the long haul and smoke from the box. I know, I know... you told me its a slippery slope.

» I am talking about rich dates, raisins, apricots, currants mixed with

» leather and spice that Ramon Allones is known for in my humble

» opinion

»

» Hard to improve on these, Chuck. But I'll try...

»

» Along with these fruits, I've noted dried figs. I've also smoked some '01s

» that had a finish like mulled red wine; bittersweet well-fermented dark

» purple grapes that lingered in the mouth like a great cabernet.

»

» I agree... the '07 RASS are noteworthy. If you don't put some of these

» away for posterity, posterity will never forgive you.

I want to witness the Smack Down between Chuck and Shrink when they smoke their first cigars together and debate whether they taste like currants or figs!

Great thread on one of my favorite marcas

I have not had the pleasure of smoking any RASS. But, I am going through a box of Ramon Allones Belicosos from 05 and they are magnificent; still holding onto a couple boxes (SVF May & June 05) I did have a RA Estupdendos a few months ago which I enjoyed, but it was a totally different profile from that of the Belicoso

The Estupendo from my recollection had the stewed fruit thing going along with some notes of cheese. The Belicoso on the other hand was predominately woodsy and had a distinct sweetness which I can only describe as honey like, which someone on the board already alluded to. I plan on having some more this weekend and I will try to take more detailed notes.

I had the pleasure of smoking a POS AGO 06 Estupendos last night and what a unique experience it was. I didnt think it had the stewed fruit aspect as much as a sweet cocoa, spice and even some bittersweet chocolate aspects. I was tasting these subtle flavors hours after the smoke and look forward to a box on the way. Based on my experience with RASCC and RASS this Estupendos was definitely a RA but in a different class of finesse and finish. For me RA and Cohiba are now neck and neck for favorite brands. It used to be Partagas but now it seems like a distant third. I love this hobby.

» I had the pleasure of smoking a POS AGO 06 Estupendos last night and what a

» unique experience it was. I didnt think it had the stewed fruit aspect as

» much as a sweet cocoa, spice and even some bittersweet chocolate aspects.

aavkk.

Great review. I agree with you completely about the Estupendos. I think it's one of the more complex and interesting cigars I've had in years.

I'd second the fig element, mainly due to the fact that the smoke of these cigars is so rich, thick and mouth coating. It adds texture, like the creamy side of a fig. These fruity flavors, combined with the spicy character, the rich and creamy (thick) smoke and a medium + body make for truly fantastic cigars. Definitely my favorite cigars.

» I want to witness the Smack Down between Chuck and Shrink when they smoke

» their first cigars together and debate whether they taste like currants or

» figs!

Well, Bill... it comes down to a matter of modesty.

Some people need the dignity of a fig leaf;

and others can get by on a raisin. ;-)