Cuban rum ...... ?

FDNYGUY360

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has someone drinked ED 25 years? it's lately been offered me to buy a bottle at 400US$ but I did not take it. Is it worth that money?

i'm assuming you are talking the edmund dantes - fancy triangular bottle? i got one last year, thanks to the efforts of a very kind cuban friend, for a about half that but i think you'll find tha $400 to $500 is the going rate. it is undoubtedly a grea rum, one of the best i've tried (and rob, if you are reading this, after the last raid on my rum cupboard - what's mine is yours, of course - it is well hidden, well away). i'd put it in the best two or three. i don't think it quite matches the original release of the old santiago from a few years back (the follow up release in the same wavy bottle was terrific but not quite as good). that said, if a bottle of great cognac or malt is worth that sort of money, then so is this. and if you are interested, i'd move quickly. my understanding is that they are very very hard to find now.

Already gone, but I know who bought three bottles and once tried may go for one.

Thank you Ken.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I tried a rum last year when I was in Cuba, the name is "Ron Caney (Anejo centuria)". It has a hints of orange peel, nuts and just a little bit of vanilla. I like without ice or Cuba libre (rum and coke). It's also very great with medium to full bodied cigars.

Hi guys,

I tried a rum last year when I was in Cuba, the name is "Ron Caney (Anejo centuria)". It has a hints of orange peel, nuts and just a little bit of vanilla. I like without ice or Cuba libre (rum and coke). It's also very great with medium to full bodied cigars.

caney is terrific, at pretty much all levels. i've only ever seen it in cuba but worth bringing a few home.

found out the other day that we can now source 23 year old zacapa in australia ($320 plus for a 750ml bottle). makes the $30 a litre in cancun duty free look good!!

caney is terrific, at pretty much all levels. i've only ever seen it in cuba but worth bringing a few home.

found out the other day that we can now source 23 year old zacapa in australia ($320 plus for a 750ml bottle). makes the $30 a litre in cancun duty free look good!!

Zacapa 23 is excellent & about $35 US. I've bought the Caney Anejo in Bermuda & seen it offered on several German sites.

• 2 weeks later...

Friend help me get the 3 years Havana club with small discount (the retail price is 200ILS I got it for 170ILS not great price but better), I'm sure it's the first rum I drink straight but I did like it and it was interesting with BBF.

Like Rob, my go to rum is the 11 year old Santiago. In fact any Santiago is damm good. Also i like the sweetness of the 7 yr old Varadero. A friend of mine offered me some of the spiced Sailor Jerry's stuff, bloody awful in my opinion. If you like spiced rums, it maybe your thing, but for me its dire.

Keith

• 5 weeks later...

The Ron Zapaca 23 year old is sweet with hints of molasses and vanilla and I find the sweetness compliments a cigar very nicely. Even better than the 23 is the 25 year old. I could see how it would be a bit too smooth for some because it has absolutely no whiskey burn going down. I picked a bottle of that up Costa Rica for $100 US. Best aged Rum I have had so far.

A friend of mine offered me some of the spiced Sailor Jerry's stuff, bloody awful in my opinion. If you like spiced rums, it maybe your thing, but for me its dire.

I am a big fan of fine rums, but I also enjoy Sailor Jerrys, I drink it straight while on the boat but dont care for it mixed or at home. It has its rough edges that I enjoy outdoors.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I love Havana Club 7 anos and the HC anejo reserva. Both are excellent with complex flavors of caramel, vanilla, coffee, jasmine, oak and some exotic spices. I enjoy HC very much!

I picked up a bottle of HC Anejo Reserva in the duty free on my way back from holiday in Spain yesterday, and I have to say that I agree. Very smooth, and after thorough testing last night I can say that it's perfect in a Cuba Libre :blush:.

I see that you are in Queens...you can find Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 anos at Sherry-Lehmann in Manhattan. You can actually go to their website and order it, they deliver. The only stock the 23 though. You won't find the XO or ZOO there.

I have a question.

I will be going to Havana in about a month and want to buy some rum.

My question is what should I buy that is not too hard to find in Havana?

I can easily get HC 7 for $18usd and HC Barrel Proof for $30usd by crossing the border into tijuana from San Diego.

I have heard of other brands but don't know which ones to get and where to find them.

Thanks

Jose

I have a question.

I will be going to Havana in about a month and want to buy some rum.

My question is what should I buy that is not too hard to find in Havana?

I can easily get HC 7 for $18usd and HC Barrel Proof for $30usd by crossing the border into tijuana from San Diego.

I have heard of other brands but don't know which ones to get and where to find them.

Thanks

Jose

little mstore around the corner from floridita often has some rare ones. some cigars shops like the romeo and julieta factory also.

i'd try for the caney oro as a light rum and santiago 11 year for something special. or go the whole hog and find out the best rum from santiago available at the time. you might jag a superstar.

• 2 months later...

I've had the pleasure of being able to enjoy HC7, and I tried the Zacapa 23, but it was the Solero (sp?), and I've been told not as good as the original 23 yr, which I haven't been able to find. I'm going on a cruise in a few weeks, and it will stop in Gr. Cayman, as well as Cozymel. Perhaps I'll be able to obtain a bottle there ??

. . . and I tried the Zacapa 23, but it was the Solero (sp?), and I've been told not as good as the original 23 yr, . . .

I'm pretty sure the "original" was also solera but was not marketed as such. I don't know if there was a change in ownership or just in marketing but now the earlier claim of 23 year old rum has been replaced by the (more accurate ?) claim that the blend is made up of rums between six and 23 years old and the blending is done via solera. If anything, I think the current production is even better than it was when I first tasted it in 2003. Of course, taste is subjective.

Since this thread started, I've "discovered" Diplomatico Reserva Anejo. That's a might fine sipping rum.

Good to hear. I've come close to ordering a bottle couple of times. Also, saw a bottle of the Mount *** Extra Old that looked very in enticing. But I'm still working on a liter bottle of the RZ 23 that I picked up in duty free. Others will have to wait a while.

I'm pretty sure the "original" was also solera but was not marketed as such. I don't know if there was a change in ownership or just in marketing but now the earlier claim of 23 year old rum has been replaced by the (more accurate ?) claim that the blend is made up of rums between six and 23 years old and the blending is done via solera. If anything, I think the current production is even better than it was when I first tasted it in 2003. Of course, taste is subjective.

Really? That's kind of a disappointment to me! Not that what I've had was bad, I just thought there was a difference.

Any recommendations on what else to pick up at duty free Cozymel or Grand Cayman?

Really? That's kind of a disappointment to me! Not that what I've had was bad, I just thought there was a difference.

Any recommendations on what else to pick up at duty free Cozymel or Grand Cayman?

Keep in mind that I said, "pretty sure" not 100% sure. Maybe someone else can verify.

Have you looked at the "Rank your rums 1-5" thread? Many good ideas there but I have no idea what might be available at the duty free shops you mention.

Keep in mind that I said, "pretty sure" not 100% sure. Maybe someone else can verify.

Have you looked at the "Rank your rums 1-5" thread? Many good ideas there but I have no idea what might be available at the duty free shops you mention.

Thanks for the tip! I'll go check out that thread!

• 2 weeks later...

Just cracked open a bottle of Legendaro "Elixer". What a treat. Tastes like Cuban rum mised with honey. Since I like my rum on the sweet side, this has become my Cuban rum numero uno.

Diplomatico Rum i have been telling everyone here to try it for at least 2 years its better than Zacapa 23 (to sweet) its a very complex Rum made for sipping just excellant!!!!!

Diplomatico Rum i have been telling everyone here to try it for at least 2 years its better than Zacapa 23 (to sweet) its a very complex Rum made for sipping just excellant!!!!!

jimmy, as it you talking about el dorado rum? just arriving in australia. anyone with any thoughts? think we are able to get the full range though the 25 year old very expensive. told the 21 year old the one to try?