Quai D\'Orsay Gran Corona SXF Sept 05 Review

Tampa1257

Quai D’Orsay Gran Corona

Box Code: SXF Sept 05

Sampled: Nov 14, 2008

A little over 4 years ago, Bruce (Broozer) introduced me to this marca. I was interested in a lighter medium bodied flavored cigar that I could enjoy mid-day and thought that the Quai D’Orsay may fit the bill. I was very pleasantly surprised with what I found and have since kept them in stock for a change of pace cigar in my rotation.

11140814271.jpg

As you can see, the wrapper of this 05 version of a Gran Corona is a lightly colored hue and has a somewhat rougher texture. I clipped it and found no surprises like El Presidente found in his quality control H. Upmann. Thus I tried a pre-draw and was greeted with an excellent draw. Thank goodness because about a quarter of this box has had a “Cuban Draw” that was firmer than I like.

1114081431a1.jpg

Upon lighting the Gran Corona, I tasted a medium bodied citrus flavor along with a toasted tobacco essence that I typically find very enjoyable when I light up a Quai D’Orsay. My mouth was filled with plentiful amounts of rich smoke from the great draw. One word that came to me as I was smoking this cigar was that it was “Refreshing” to smoke. It displayed a mellow cream and cedar essence at times along with the citrus. I simply found myself enjoying the cigar more and more the longer that it lasted. Underneath the flavor I found a slight spiciness that was not pepper like, just a sweet spice that was in tune with the overall balance of the cigar and I would describe the cigar “in harmony” and very refreshing.

11140814441.jpg

I would rate this cigar as a 90 out of a 100 or a 4 smoke ring out of a 6 smoke ring scale as it was a Very Enjoyable cigar and one that I would gladly smoke again and recommend to someone that was wanting a medium bodied and full flavor unique Habanos

Sorry for the photo quality, all I had was my cell phone to take the photos with.:-D

Tampa

» Chuck,

»

» Nice review..No experience with the marca but has tweeked my interest..Is

» the Gran Corona considered the best in the line?

Until last night I would have said that the Gran Corona (now discontinued) is the best of the Quai D'Orsay marca. Now I rate the Panatellas hight -- but solely on the basis of a single sample, which, of course, is unfair.

Chuck,

Nice review..No experience with the marca but has tweeked my interest..Is the Gran Corona considered the best in the line?

i would say 100% that it is the best in the line. unfortunately they are discontinued and very hard to find. i managed to snag the last two boxes rob and lisa had (thanks so much lisa!) and they are from early '06. they will be aging for sometime to come since i have a box from '02 that i smoke out of 1-2 times a year. if i want the QDO taste often then i will just light up a corona.

bruce