Cigar Flavour Wheel

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't get it to spin. Spin wheel, spin!

Just to stir the pot...

We can only detect three hues (red, green, blue), yet we can sense billions of colors.  Some people have more developed senses of taste and smell.  This can be physical/mechanical in the case of super

• 1 month later...

Wow, I think this is a nice job on a simplified Flavor Wheel. I might suggest making a few distinctions or subcategories to aid in description, for example "Spice" does not point the taster toward the distinction between Pepper and Cooking Spices which are really very different.

The other thing to think about is which flavors belong together, e.g. while I think that Floral and Citrus belong in the same neighborhood, I'm not sure where Leather and Earthy should go, what they are most related to.

To clarify, the Flavor Wheel that was posted at the top of the thread was not the invention of Tampa and me, Tampa gave me a copy of it, I don't know the original source.

• 1 month later...

Monsieur Japan,

This is truly late after your post, but if you have other postable tasting wheels, I am sure there are several on FOH who would be interested. Not the first being myself....

Peter

Tampa, DC and President, no way I wanted say that the wheel is no good. I've been looking at that wheel long time before I have seen it on this board and as I am still a very beginner on tastes, sometime I feel frustated that I cannot find some of the wheels info in my buds.

Tasting Wheels have been my guide always and I have got several from around the boards on the net .

But that's me :( , so I suggested that an easy wheel can be helpful for younger smokers that can step by step, finding new flavours,grow up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
I intended this one to be base categories to be subdivided further if needed. Suggestions are welcome.

Also I'd like to list how/where different flavours can picked up. For me it's mostly:

Spice - picked up in the nose when retrohaling

Citrus - picked up as an acid sensation on tip of tongue or lips

Leather, earth and wood - on the tongue

etc...

This is a useful resource. I'm operating at this level of tasting at the moment trying to subdvide further. Thanks for this guys

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is great info.

Has anyone created a spreadsheet to, more or less, 'categorize' different CC brands and models? I find most cigars are categorized light, medium or strong, but not taste-wise.

Knowing which brand/model/year is generally "Spicy" and/or "Roasted" would be beneficial.

I'm thinking this would help guide someone wanting to try something outside or within his or her normal smoke; especially a beginner or someone on a limited budget. If someone wanted to gravitate towards the roasted, creamy smoke this would be helpful.

Yes? No? Is this even feasible with everyone having different palates?

This is great info.

Has anyone created a spreadsheet to, more or less, 'categorize' different CC brands and models? I find most cigars are categorized light, medium or strong, but not taste-wise.

Knowing which brand/model/year is generally "Spicy" and/or "Roasted" would be beneficial.

I'm thinking this would help guide someone wanting to try something outside or within his or her normal smoke; especially a beginner or someone on a limited budget. If someone wanted to gravitate towards the roasted, creamy smoke this would be helpful.

Yes? No? Is this even feasible with everyone having different palates?

The following thread under Classic Posts is helpful...

Classify your flavour characteristics of the following

• 5 months later...

My head just exploded with the idea of tasting some of these things listed on the wheel. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I think the original wheel is perfect, you know when I first started I looked for basic flavors like that in the first category. Vegetable, wood, spice, minerals, etc. and from there throughout time I moved out further. I still can't pick out every outer layer flavor but the more I smoke and the more often I smoke one cigar the more I begin to pick up out of it.

• 3 weeks later...
A beginning pianist might not tackle a Beethoven concerto, but it could not hurt to listen, read, and practice small segments.

Well put, Colt. I'm a pianist myself also (after having parents that tortured me for years by making me take it, and I now enjoy it as an adult). I think everyone can relate to the music analogy.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there anything this guy hasn't done???

LOL. I've lived a fairly diverse and interesting life so far, being with various jobs and schooling and volunteer opportunities.

But, I haven't bungee jumped, sky dived, or swam with sharks yet! And my wife always complains that I won't make the bed, though.

• 4 weeks later...

It's funny that I found this thread today. I just heard of this flavor (pardon the yank spelling) wheel this week!

I love this idea. I remember an old chick flick with Meg Ryan maybe (?) where she feel in love with a French wine guy that taught her to enjoy wine by having her smell different thing and then try to "taste the smell" in the wine.

As we only taste four main flavors (salty, sweet, sour, bitter) we use our nose to and detail to the flavor. Thats why we say somthing taste like dog s**t, when we mean it tast like dog crap smells.

I have planted the idea of a smell to a new cigar smoker by saying, "Think leather, can you taste it?" and then they taste it and say they can.

What I am wondering is, can one put together a kit with some of these items in it for young smokers to smell/taste while smoking a cigar to help train thier pallett. Not unlike Megs Bo in the movie I say years ago did for the wine? You know, a chunk of wood, piece of leather, pepper, coffee bean...

I love this wheel, and will be using it to help pimp my palette and to mentor newbies.

Hey, I like that thought. Cigar Mentor. Kind of like a Navy "sea daddy". I want to be a cigar mentor...

Doc

I see that spell check doesn't help when you spell the wrong word right. Sorry for any misunderstanding...

Doc

P.S.

I proof read this twice!

• 3 months later...
Wasn't it Bill Clinton who went a little too far to get that 'feline musk' nuance with his cigars? :thumbsup:

He did not have relations....He had a cigar....lol