Partagas 8-9-8 Varnished AGU SEP 08

asmith

AGU SEP08? That makes 'em what, four months old? I remember smoking some FEB06 898V's in May, 2006 and they were incredible; peppery, spicy and full-flavored. So I don't think it's just the age. It might have to do with the humidification, if they're still "wet" from their journey.

In any event, let's hope that they come around. I've had other '08 Partagas that were fine. Thanks for the review, boyz.

AGU SEP08? That makes 'em what, four months old? I remember smoking some FEB06 898V's in May, 2006 and they were incredible; peppery, spicy and full-flavored. So I don't think it's just the age. It might have to do with the humidification, if they're still "wet" from their journey.

In any event, let's hope that they come around. I've had other '08 Partagas that were fine. Thanks for the review, boyz.

I agree with you Shrink in that they smoked a little moist. Alain hit it on the head with "3 weeks" and they would be fine.

Wow that is a young cigar.

I do think Alain got one of the good ones, it sounded like. The consistent inconsistency of Cuban cigars, from one to another in a box. I seem to continue to encounter that.

My 898s from 06 are still not ready.

The younger the cigar the greater the inconsistency. Smithy is probably tougher than I am in his reviews and that is why I like him being there.

Shrink was right. If I had dryboxed the cigar for a week it woud have been a different experience. Then again, the Video review series is all about calling it as you see it.

I still think T-Bone Cuba Goreta is a great name :bsmeter:

GreenPimp My 898s from 06 are still not ready.

My two 06's and one 07's are long gone and were smoking great from the start.The way we use to think about aging cigars have change since early 06.As Cuba uses differant methods when using tobacco for there cigars and its a big improvement as they smoke better with very little nap time.

Again it comes down to personal taste like them young / or aged its two differant taste profiles you can not compare them.

Thanks for the reviews guys let them sit a month or two to dry out they will be on the money.

Thanks for the review crew. Man, i love the 898V, but my recent boxes are a little wet as well. You can tell they are the real deal, but you hit it on the head - they need to dry/age before that "meal in a cigar" is aparent. Worth the wait, IMO.

My question is, how much does the varnished box have to do with this?

Keep in mind that the inside of the box is untreated. I've a number of varnished boxes, and none have any kind of smell, etc.

The finish should have no impact on the flavor. As the panel has said, the fact that these were boxed barely five months ago,

and still "wet" are most likely the main reasons behind their findings.

Keep in mind that the inside of the box is untreated. I've a number of varnished boxes, and none have any kind of smell, etc.

The finish should have no impact on the flavor. As the panel has said, the fact that these were boxed barely five months ago,

and still "wet" are most likely the main reasons behind their findings.

I understand the varnished aspect of the box would not alter the taste of the cigars. From what I read, varnished boxes are good for aging cigars by slowing down the maturation process, so for example, my interpretation is that a box of cigars in a varnished box after 3 years would have tasted like the same cigars in an unvarnished box after 1 year (maybe I'm misinterpreting this information). My question is whether the box reviewed tasted younger than normal because of this?

Wouldn't the varnished boxes positively affect the long term aging prospects of this beauty?'

I'm not a scientist, so I don't have a definitive answer. While I suppose a sealed finish might play some part, my guess is that it would

have less to do with how the cigars age than how the cigars are packed within. In this case three layers - 8,9,8 - almost like the wheel

of an SLB.

Many feel that when cigars are in close proximity as in these scenarios versus let's say a dress box, that they age not necessarily better,

but more slowly. A matter of air circulation, etc - in ways similar to tubed versus untubed cigars.

Reviewing that cigar at that age is totally pointless. A waste of 8 minutes of my time, mates.

When the first 3 seconds of the intro show AGU SEPT 08 a self evident conclusion can be made. And if the experience of a viewer believes that reviewing such a young cigar is pointless then the blame of wasting 8min of precious personal time can only be directed at the viewer.

Reviewing that cigar at that age is totally pointless. A waste of 8 minutes of my time, mates.

Bollocks :2thumbs: Reviewing cigars at all stages of their life cycle is the only way of knowing or at least getting a line on the true process of evolution. I remember a few years back having the Cognac maker a Delamaine visit us with samples of cognacs from 12 months to 60 years. In his opinion you learn far more from a 12 month old Cognac (really...just pure spirit) than from any other part of its life cycle.

I don't think cigars are too different however we need to endure that they are not overly wet. They need to be dryboxed.

My question is whether the box reviewed tasted younger than normal because of this?

Digger, my previous post touches on what you are talking about - box style / configuration. Again, many feel it to be true, and though

I've not done any kind of testing myself, if smell is anything to go on, I'd have to agree. Crack open an SLB and take in those dense,

juicy, funky aromas. Often times, it's not quite the same with a dress box.

As to the time frame of one versus another, I couldn't really say - there are many variables. But we do have some members who zip lock

all their boxes to further retard airflow / maturation. They've had good luck, and I'd like to try it myself at some point.

Once again, I believe that in the case of this review, per the panel, the cigars were just too young and wet. The fact that SmokinAl

enjoyed his just shows you he has the palate of a billy goat......

Cigars are ment to be smoked fresh !!!

But if you age them they take on a differant flavor profile its your choice on what you like.

A blender blends a cigar for what the present taste is !!!

Some people are so brain washed that they always have to be aged to taste good thats false.I also love alot of these so called CC aficionados on differant forums telling people in 5 years or 10 years these will be great other wize there a waste to smoke.Were do they learn this bullshit to give out info to others who dont know any better and take it as gospel.

If a cigars taste great to you fresh smoke away to me the blender has done his job he set out to do.

I have had some great aged cigars in my time but i will say i like fresh ones better they just taste better to me.

Upmann i would say aged (3 to 5 years max) do taste better to me than fresh ones .

I just would like to say i would not turn down a good rare aged cigar. :thumbsup:

The Partagas 898 is the first cigar I really fully enjoyed. It is a spicy, full bodied cigar. Down right peppery at the end I would say. Cigars, in general improve with age, but I wouldn't make any apologies for trying one in its infancy. Let it burn and see what you pick up in it early on. Try one a 1/2 year to a year later and note the changes.

Enjoy the ride and don't worry about where you end up.