Partagas 8-9-8 Varnished AGU SEP 08

asmith

I also enjoy fresh cigars. However, IMO, just a few months from box date the cigar is too wet and not properly settled to smoke properly. It's not an age thing, really, just I have found it's not usually ready to smoke properly yet. (Off burn, muted/off flavors, etc.)

I also enjoy fresh cigars. However, IMO, just a few months from box date the cigar is too wet and not properly settled to smoke properly. It's not an age thing, really, just I have found it's not usually ready to smoke properly yet. (Off burn, muted/off flavors, etc.)

I totally agree...

• 10 months later...

Well, since I just finished smoking an 07 Party 898, I thought I'd throw in my opinion. Good, solid cigar, with fuller body than previous 99 & 01 versions I've smoked. Still overall decidedly medium bodied & nothing that would make me forget my cabinets of 02 Party Lonsdales.

• 2 weeks later...
Cigars are ment to be smoked fresh !!!

I do not agree with you and I'll explain why.

What you say might have been true back in the '80s, early to mid '90s.

But now, with the hyperproduction (and the terrible selling results are visible today) and the burning of a large supply of aged tobacco leaves in the hellish years 1999-2001 with unexperienced rollers etc., thing are quite different.

The three types of leaves, seco ligero and volado, used for making cigars are younger than ever before, it's the very Habanos SA declaring it. Fact is, when they use leaves that are somewhat more fermented or left to rest, they say it (RE, LE, etc.)!!!

So, IMHO, they are just leaving to the consumer a process that should be on their shoulders.

This is where many NCC producers show the difference: even if you smoke a, let's say, Padron from Jan. 2009, that will have been blended with leaves that have already properly aged in the casas del tabaco, so you have a perfect ready-to-smoke cigar.

I am not sure if that's true with CCs, despite the tremendous superiority the latter harbor.

When I try regular production cigars a few months after they have been rolled, I can taste the green, bitter bite of "youth". And note please, I'm not a vintage-freak who doesnt smoke anything younger than a 10-year old Habano :D.

I just cant help noticing how more mature and really ready to smoke an Habano is when it's got 2 or 3 years of age on its back.

• 2 weeks later...
Bollocks :) Reviewing cigars at all stages of their life cycle is the only way of knowing or at least getting a line on the true process of evolution. I remember a few years back having the Cognac maker a Delamaine visit us with samples of cognacs from 12 months to 60 years. In his opinion you learn far more from a 12 month old Cognac (really...just pure spirit) than from any other part of its life cycle.

I don't think cigars are too different however we need to endure that they are not overly wet. They need to be dryboxed.

Hey Prez, ddo you ever get boxes of 10 of these guys?