Havana Cigar Temples

Punch Joe

Great pictures, I like the look of the La Corona factory at lot. Any idea when it was built?

La Corona pictured here is a new facility housing the production of brands such as Hoyo de Monterrey, Cuaba, San Cristóbal de la HAbana, Punch, Por Larrañaga, Flor de Cano among others. Formerly a cigarette factory, the building was refurbished in 2003 after two years closed. The name of the cigarette factory was DORADOS (Orlando Nodarse), in operation before the revolution and started as a cigar factory in January 2004. The Old LA Corona Cigar factory was shut down in early 2004 when celebrating 100 years of History. The once called Iron Palace was the first building with steel structure in Cuba. Now, in pure decay, it´s just a vague reminiscence of how great it was. Sadly, it won´t be repaired. Find a picture here of La Corona back in 1998.

F_brica_La_Corona.bmp

The H.Upmann factory is also a relatively new facility for the factory of said name. the Old H.Upmann was in pretty bad conditions back in 2002 that it was needed to evacuate during the hurricanes Lily and Isidore (2002)in fear of falling down. Still erected, damp and dirt cover all that historic yet legendary building.

post-3749-1234563696.jpg

If I could change the world....

All of the old factories were great looking.

I visited them all in 1999. La Corona had a great LCDH on the ground floor.

Fantastic selection of cigars and fine drinks, great moments spent there.

El Laguito was the house of the Fowler family, Alberto Casimiro Fowler was

the owner of a sugar refinery called ( NARCIA) in Las Villas. He bought the little hill

where El Laguito is today in 1924. At the time, there was only a small dependence on the

grounds. The mansion was built in the late 20's. the Fowler family went bankrupt

in 1952 and the mansion was abandoned.

Cio :2thumbs:

I'm a little saddened to read that some of these legendary factories were allowed to get into such a state of decay and disrepair. I guess it just brings forth the reality that the people there may have other 'more pressing' needs for their resources other than keeping up these Cigar Shrines.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...