ERDM Choix Supreme - URA JUN 07

asmith

Burnt taste ? Yes it was a stupid comment :clown2:

A Bit tight the way like it. and me too we think alike :)

5 year old girls ? you sick F*&^ LOL

Well lets face it this cigar SUCKED LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank saves the day a really great guy.Hi Frank

Thanks for the candid review.

As for these being a good starting point for someone new to cigars, I'm not sure I agree. I tend to to side with members who've

suggested that a good place to start is with a cigar that has lots of flavor - not necessarily strong, but flavorful.

Which would make a person return for more - this cigar or a Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.3 ?

Well, those boxes will be flying off the shelves, guys. Nicely done.

To me Choix Supremes pick up significant strength through the nose with about 5 years age or so on them. I'd guess the box you all smoked from is in the "dumb period" that some cigars seem to go through -- most notably the PSD4. I wouldn't swear off Choix Supremes entirely based on the review here.

I should add, that rating the cigar at 84, given the comments, is ridiculous grade inflation. A cigar that tastes like nothing and gets pitched by 3 of 4 reviewers would rate no more than 2 smoke rings on my personal scale and low 70's on the Cigar Aficionado de facto 70-100 scale.

not much love for the choix supreme.

as one reviewer commented, i'm not a big fan of the rey del mundo marque, either. still, the choix supreme is a regular staple in my humidor. i smoke them almost solely in the morning hours. they are mild young, and may just bump on medium with time. the flavor is not strong, but still pleasant. truthfully, there isn't much i do smoke before 10:30 am unless its a choix supreme or a plpc or the like.

still, i don't really understand the reviews here. if you grade subjectively, then the comments made by the reviewers should have dictated a lower score. if the attempt was made to grade on some objective basis, just against other "mild" cigars, or those cigars preferred by "5 year old girls", then i guess that justifies the ratings.

i agree with Colt45 that i would not consider the choix supreme a good entry habano. i have never found them overly complex, sublimely flavorful, or strong enough to leave a lasting impression against other cigars.

as an aside, i was interested to hear the pronounciation of "choix". i've been in several discussions where no clear consensus was reached on whether it was like "choice", "cho-ix", or a french "schwa".

I should add, that rating the cigar at 84, given the comments, is ridiculous grade inflation. A cigar that tastes like nothing and gets pitched by 3 of 4 reviewers would rate no more than 2 smoke rings on my personal scale and low 70's on the Cigar Aficionado de facto 70-100 scale.

I'm with you on this point Van, based on the comments I was thinking a 75. 84 seemed pretty generous.

Thanks for the candid review.

As for these being a good starting point for someone new to cigars, I'm not sure I agree. I tend to to side with members who've

suggested that a good place to start is with a cigar that has lots of flavor - not necessarily strong, but flavorful.

Which would make a person return for more - this cigar or a Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.3 ?

OK I have a couple of things I need to add here and I will stand up for the ERDM CS. Firstly I agree with a lot of comments out there about the cigar, however is it is still a good cigar worthy of 84 (I may have been a little kind to it 83 worst case).

The cigar was constructed well, no rough edges, smooth smoke, no acrid flavours, and a good draw. That is a pretty good start! Was it the most powerful thing I have ever smoked no but CS are never powerful and where it sits in the strength curve it was just a little lower than normal.

Alain was always going to throw that cigar as he loves big spicy flavours, which he will agree with me on. It is a light cigar and one I would recommend way before a Connie 3, Colt you and I have both had Connie 3s that almost knock your head off and others that are sensational, so that why I feel for a young smoker it is to dangerous to be offering a Connie 3. But thats just my theory and we all have different cigars that we like to offer people. As Harwellplant points out it is a fantastic morning cigar something light to get you going with your coffee. As it is morning here and I have my coffee I will try another one with my coffee now.

For those out ther who have a box of ERDM CS please have a smoke in the next couple of days and type up what you have found, Colt you are not allowed to review a Connie 3 for the hell of it and post how good it is!! :buddies:

But keep the debate running guys thats what we are here for, that and getting drunk! :thumbsdwn:

OK I have a couple of things I need to add here and I will stand up for the ERDM CS. Firstly I agree with a lot of comments out there about the cigar, however is it is still a good cigar worthy of 84 (I may have been a little kind to it 83 worst case).

Smithy, do doubt about different strokes for different folks. But it seemed that the panel overall found this one lacking any flavor, and

in that case, I still think I'd recommend something more flavorful to someone new to cigars - that's just me, and I understand your viewpoint.

As to the score awarded, this once again (to me anyway) calls into question the hows and whys and what they mean. That's an ongoing

discussion we can all continue another time.

Smithy, do doubt about different strokes for different folks. But it seemed that the panel overall found this one lacking any flavor, and

in that case, I still think I'd recommend something more flavorful to someone new to cigars - that's just me, and I understand your viewpoint.

As to the score awarded, this once again (to me anyway) calls into question the hows and whys and what they mean. That's an ongoing

Best I have had were a few boxes from 98 that were phenominal. Smoked my last one over summer

I'm hearing you on the numbering system, have you ever seen any cigar given a 32 or even a 57 nothing below 70? If that is the case why do we not score bwtween 1-30.

So from now on I'm going to rank everything on smoke rings, 1-5 smoke rings

But keep the debate running guys thats what we are here for, that and getting drunk! :)

Sunny day here, so I tried one to get another perspective. I got it as part of a singles purchase last summer, so it was probably a '07 vintage. Started really nasty: sour with an acrid papery taste. But into the second third it developed a nice mild flavour that reminded me of peppermint tea, heavily sweeted by rock sugar. Overall I enjoyed it, certainly not my "go to" smoke, but something different and outside of my usual Cuban cigar flavour profile.post-2703-1235839624.jpg

The unofficial HCF rating scale is as follows:

6 smoke rings -- a classic or classic to be

5 smoke rings -- an exceptionally good cigar

4 smoke rings -- a very good cigar -- above average in all respects

3 smoke rings -- an average cigar

2 smoke rings -- a flawed cigar

1 smoke rings -- practically unsmokable.

I like a six smoke ring range because it allows the two extremes, which are rare in my experience.

I've only smoked Cuban cigars for about 7 years. I could probably count on my 10 fingers those that I would rate 6 smoke rings. Notably a Davidoff Dom Perignon and some 1997 Montecristo Especials. I could probably count on the fingers of one hand those that I would rate 1 smoke ring. Though I have had enough over-tight EXAMPLES of cigars that were unsmokable, I would not condemn an entire line on the basis of the poorly constructed examples.

As I said, based on the reactions of the reviewers on tape, I would have to call the examples you smoked flawed -- ergo 2 smokerings.

Overall, my experience with well aged Choix Supremes merits a solid 4 smoke rings. I honestly think the examples you reviewed were either in a dumb period or the newer Choix Supreme are unlike the examples I have smoked in the past.

Anyway, I truly wish FoH would adopt the smoke ring rating system, as I find the one point differences on a 100 point scale (or even a 30 point scale) to be unfathomable.

Keep in mind that there are no fractional smoke rings. Try blowing one. So if you find a cigar to be a "betweener" go with the lower score and give it potential for the higher score.

So Smithy -- if you were to rate the Choix you reviewed on the HCF scale -- how many smoke rings would you give it?

So, from what I have read here as well as my person experience with the Choix Supreme is that it is a TOTALLY WASTE of time effort and energy! Why the hell even make such a panzy ass cigar? Oh yes, Habanos S.A. just came out with Monte Open's as well, sort of a half cafe lite girly girl, no pair of balls cigar. Yep the CS is a fancy taste's like nothing but a waste of time cigar.

Got to agree with Colt, a beginner should smoke a real cigar, not some foo foo want-a-be like the CS. Grow a pair Smithy, from your own comments during the review, that cigar could not rate over a 65 out of a 100 scale and by the smoke ring scale, it would be lucky to score a 2 smoke ring rating!

The unofficial HCF rating scale is as follows:

6 smoke rings -- a classic or classic to be

5 smoke rings -- an exceptionally good cigar

4 smoke rings -- a very good cigar -- above average in all respects

3 smoke rings -- an average cigar

2 smoke rings -- a flawed cigar

1 smoke rings -- practically unsmokable.

I like a six smoke ring range because it allows the two extremes, which are rare in my experience.

I've only smoked Cuban cigars for about 7 years. I could probably count on my 10 fingers those that I would rate 6 smoke rings. Notably a Davidoff Dom Perignon and some 1997 Montecristo Especials. I could probably count on the fingers of one hand those that I would rate 1 smoke ring. Though I have had enough over-tight EXAMPLES of cigars that were unsmokable, I would not condemn an entire line on the basis of the poorly constructed examples.

As I said, based on the reactions of the reviewers on tape, I would have to call the examples you smoked flawed -- ergo 2 smokerings.

Overall, my experience with well aged Choix Supremes merits a solid 4 smoke rings. I honestly think the examples you reviewed were either in a dumb period or the newer Choix Supreme are unlike the examples I have smoked in the past.

Anyway, I truly wish FoH would adopt the smoke ring rating system, as I find the one point differences on a 100 point scale (or even a 30 point scale) to be unfathomable.

Keep in mind that there are no fractional smoke rings. Try blowing one. So if you find a cigar to be a "betweener" go with the lower score and give it potential for the higher score.

So Smithy -- if you were to rate the Choix you reviewed on the HCF scale -- how many smoke rings would you give it?

On the HCF scale of 1-6 without halves it would be a 3 smoker. Like you pointed out most Choix Sup are 4s it may get there but it will never pass that number.

So, from what I have read here as well as my person experience with the Choix Supreme is that it is a TOTALLY WASTE of time effort and energy! Why the hell even make such a panzy ass cigar? Oh yes, Habanos S.A. just came out with Monte Open's as well, sort of a half cafe lite girly girl, no pair of balls cigar. Yep the CS is a fancy taste's like nothing but a waste of time cigar.

Got to agree with Colt, a beginner should smoke a real cigar, not some foo foo want-a-be like the CS. Grow a pair Smithy, from your own comments during the review, that cigar could not rate over a 65 out of a 100 scale and by the smoke ring scale, it would be lucky to score a 2 smoke ring rating!

Chuck I will grow a pair and give it a rating of 65 if you grow a pair and give it an unbiased review.

You pick the cigar you want reviewed and send it to me, and I'll give you a full unbiased review.

An ERDM Choix Supreme is on its way mate, enjoy, look forward to the canning you are going to give it, but still looking forward to your review.

I'm thinking now, was this just a ploy to get a free cigar? :D

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll have to admit that I'm a little suprised by all the negativity. I enjoyed one yesterday (same box code as the video review); it wasn't dynamic, but it was well constructed, the burn was perfect, and the flavours were honey and cream with some floral notes as well. Phenominal morning cigar.