Habanos Freezing

I will post answers to your questions in the next couple of weeks (Questions posted for answer before I left).

Habanos does now freeze all cigars. Capacity is 4,600,000 per week. They freeze cigars for 5 days at -23 to -25 degrees celsius before bringing them back in a second chamber slowly.

I will post answers to your questions in the next couple of weeks (Questions posted for answer before I left).

Habanos does now freeze all cigars. Capacity is 4,600,000 per week. They freeze cigars for 5 days at -23 to -25 degrees celsius before bringing them back in a second chamber slowly.

Does this mean we don't have to worry about beetle infestation anymore?

The risk is vastly minimized.

Keep in mind we still see an occasional box come through of beetle infested post 06 cigars. It is rare. May be simply that the cigars mixed company with non frozen stock (pre 06) somewhere in the supply chain (Sleep around)

I have always wondered if the freezing and defrosting process affects the construction or the taste of the cigars in any way(in memory of my fallen brethren)? Also, are any quality checks done on the cigars or are they sent straight for packing?

Also, are any quality checks done on the cigars or are they sent straight for packing?

To further dwell on this question; Are the 4.6M sticks weekly placed in the freezer warehouse pre or post market packaging?

• Like 1

I think the fact that they're freezing 4.6 million cigars a week is phenomenal. Mostly because I HATE putting those beauties in the freezer. It says a lot for their quality control and is also their way of saying "We're doing everything we possibly can". Nobody is perfect. I think tobacco beetles are probably similar to the rule of water, in that it always finds a way to leak. Tobacco beetles are not going to be extinct because Habanos is freezing, but if 1 in 500 boxes as opposed to 50 in 5 boxes ends up with beetles, then that's good enough for me.

Rob.. What would you say the infestation ratio is? 1 in 250? 500? 1000?

This is really good news. I am too lazy to do much inspecting on my own, and now I won't feel like I need to. This is like being on penicillin 24/7. Time to party with the cello off! :lol:

Brad

That is really good news and I applaud their efforts at HSA. It speaks more to the overall quality control than anything else. However, I'm still not about to trust that with my entire collection... I will always do everything I can to ensure my stock isnt kept at tempertures north of 70 F.

I think the fact that they're freezing 4.6 million cigars a week is phenomenal. Mostly because I HATE putting those beauties in the freezer. It says a lot for their quality control and is also their way of saying "We're doing everything we possibly can". Nobody is perfect. I think tobacco beetles are probably similar to the rule of water, in that it always finds a way to leak. Tobacco beetles are not going to be extinct because Habanos is freezing, but if 1 in 500 boxes as opposed to 50 in 5 boxes ends up with beetles, then that's good enough for me.

Rob.. What would you say the infestation ratio is? 1 in 250? 500? 1000?

Infestation rate would be around 1/1000 boxes. By infestation we may see a series of pinholes within a few cigars within a box. The beetles are gone/dead which means they were killed during freezing (hatched prior).

The problem has essentially been eliminated.

Freezing is in palates of boxed cigars.

Can you confirm that the cigars sold on local market in Cuba will also be frozen?

Guib :D u

Can you confirm that the cigars sold on local market in Cuba will also be frozen?

Guib :huh: u

The cigars in LCDH Divans are supplied by Habanos s.a from the warehouse as far as I understand. There would be no reason as far as I know why they would not undertake the same freezing process. I will find out conclusively however.

The cigars in LCDH Divans are supplied by Habanos s.a from the warehouse as far as I understand. There would be no reason as far as I know why they would not undertake the same freezing process. I will find out conclusively however.

Thanks mate!

'cause it was not the case before, that's why i'm asking :huh:...

I think this is a pretty big deal. It's sort of like a manufacturers warranty on a car.

I DO think that this is the final nail in the coffin for people concerned that freezing cigars affects flavor or construction in any way shape or form. You hear a lot of chatter about that. Clearly, that case is closed forever.

Thanks mate!

'cause it was not the case before, that's why i'm asking :D...

Guibou, I have had it confirmed that Habanos cigars sold in Cuba are indeed frozen like cigars destined for export.

The cigars now come from the same facility.