Vegas Robaina Famosos - JPM JUL 07

asmith

Why do i see in the opening of the video a SC box than you show the VRF cigar ? Now back to the video ...

Nice review and a very good cigar great job again gents..

haha... "a little bit intimate" Keep up the great reviews, next week Ayala's gonna have to start taking some notes.

Great job guys! I think the best part may have been the segment with just Warren and Al :D

Why did I know you would say that Colt? I was actually downstairs preparing your order, I felt it was more important than smoke free cigars off Rob

While I am delighted to hear you guys seemingly go to the smoke ring rating scale, I am constrained to point out that there are NO FRACTIONAL SMOKE RINGS. It's a physical impossibility.

Based on Alain's raves, this would have to be a solid four beautiful smoke ring cigar, if not five.

Let's review the criteria again:

6 Smoke Rings -- a classic or classic to be

5 Smoke Rings -- an exceptional cigar

4 Smoke Rings -- very good -- above average

3 Smoke Rings -- An average cigar

2 Smoke Rings -- A flawed cigar

1 Smoke Ring -- practically unsmokable

Remember that 6 and 1 smoke ring ratings are extremely rare. Remember, too, that there's nothing wrong with being an average cigar.

Once you note poor construction, bad draw, foul tastes, blandness, harshness and the like, you are in 2 smoke ring territory.

While I am delighted to hear you guys seemingly go to the smoke ring rating scale, I am constrained to point out that there are NO FRACTIONAL SMOKE RINGS. It's a physical impossibility.

Based on Alain's raves, this would have to be a solid four beautiful smoke ring cigar, if not five.

Let's review the criteria again:

6 Smoke Rings -- a classic or classic to be

5 Smoke Rings -- an exceptional cigar

4 Smoke Rings -- very good -- above average

3 Smoke Rings -- An average cigar

2 Smoke Rings -- A flawed cigar

1 Smoke Ring -- practically unsmokable

Remember that 6 and 1 smoke ring ratings are extremely rare. Remember, too, that there's nothing wrong with being an average cigar.

Once you note poor construction, bad draw, foul tastes, blandness, harshness and the like, you are in 2 smoke ring territory.

That's a very good point Van, I can see the logic in that but we abide by the rules of the Czar deck and those rules state that there are no rules. :D

G'day Van,

I'm starting to think that a common framework for us to rate a cigar is important. There's been much talk here about exactly that and I, for one, am still in the dark. I like the scale you've presented here based on the quantifications you've given. It's a lot harder to come up with a number rating without a framework.

I think the 1-100 scale is a nonsense. For me to compose a number properly in this scale I'd have to take notes and that'd just be a waste of a cigar.

The next time I review a smoke I'd be more inclined to give the qualification on its own, the number is just an abstraction anyway and not as descriptive.

Just for the record, the Famosos last week would have scored a 4 on this scale, but, if you could have bottled the molasses character in the 2nd 3rd, I give it a 6 without a second thought. (No ****, it was out of this world).

All the best,

Al.

Thanks Al.

In truth, the descriptions of the flavors etc. are of far greater value than a numerical rating, regardless of the rating scale. Indeed, that's one of the greatest problems with Cigar Aficionado's reviews -- the terse descriptive comments require the reader to rely far too much on the numerical score.

That said, the value of a rating scale is that it allows one to see how the reviewer judges one cigar against others s/he has rated.

Now that's a fantastic review!

The funny thing is I was only listening to the sound and for a few minutes I thought you guys were describing a fruit salad. :rotfl:

The first time I smoked one of these in '05 it was absolutely amazing. It was like smoking an extremely smooth creamy espresso. I remember the coffee flavors coming through. But that "mouthy" (creamy) feel was very impressive.

I have an '05 box sitting in my humidor and the last one I smoked 6 months ago was, sadly, just a little sick I think. Has anyone had boxes go sick for longer than a couple years?

Thanks again for the review! When these VRs are "on" they are really good! :D

The VR's are great cigars but for some reason I have always preferred the Farmies to the Famosa.I suppose in my perfect world no cigar would have a ring guage greater than 46.

Anyway nice review fellas.

Ron

• 1 year later...

Well while sitting here and listening/seeing you guys do the review and smoking a Partagas 5 ( with some rum)

I was thinking what were you guys drinking while reviewing the cigars ..

It may be important to mention what was been consumed at the time as I feel that it may help some of us ( newbies) what was consumed

The reason is it may alter the reviewers taste buds or enhance ( I think it does change the taste buds this is my opinion only )

I mean if you are drinking some cheap plonk ( cheap Booze to non Aussies ) it will change the mood and taste during the review

Or at least mention what you guys were sharing at the time I see Warren was drinking some wine (was it white?)

Not sure if its does make a great deal of difference to you guys but it does change when I do drink some good grog

cheers and keep up the great work guys love the reviews

Well while sitting here and listening/seeing you guys do the review and smoking a Partagas 5 ( with some rum)

I was thinking what were you guys drinking while reviewing the cigars ..

It may be important to mention what was been consumed at the time as I feel that it may help some of us ( newbies) what was consumed

The reason is it may alter the reviewers taste buds or enhance ( I think it does change the taste buds this is my opinion only )

I mean if you are drinking some cheap plonk ( cheap Booze to non Aussies ) it will change the mood and taste during the review

Or at least mention what you guys were sharing at the time I see Warren was drinking some wine (was it white?)

Not sure if its does make a great deal of difference to you guys but it does change when I do drink some good grog

cheers and keep up the great work guys love the reviews

Id say 90% of videos they do indeed state what they are drinking although I cant recall this review specifically.