"I Know My CC"

shortsqueeze

Jimmy has made some provocative statements about Cuban and Non-Cuban Cigars lately, so we are going to put Jimmy to the test.

In his own words, among many:

Will not ever buy boxes ever again have no intrest in them no more why settle for second best when i can have the best .

Sometimes i will smoke a NC just to remind my self why i only smoke CC's everyday .

i will show you non believers that i am right and it can't be done they dont call me Jimmy Cubano for nothing.
I smoke 5 to 6 CC a day for the last 5 years until 3 months ago where i cut it down to 2 to 3 a day i know my CC..

So all in good fun, we are going to see if Jimmy really does know his CC's.

Here are the simple rules:

1. I will send Jimmy a handful of cigars with numbered bands. Origin will not be disclosed. Keep in mind, not all may be factory vitolas. Custom rolls (CC or N/C) are also possible.

2. Jimmy is required to smoke all the cigars within a reasonable amount of time.

3. Wilkey will be provided a primer that correlates the numbers on the bands to the origin and other details about the cigars.

4. Once Jimmy has smoked all the cigars, he must post a thread and indicate by number the following information for each cigar:

a. Origin (i.e. Cuba, Honduras, USA, etc.)

b. Brand

c. Vitola

d. Approximate MSRP

e. Preference - Jimmy must rank the cigars in order of his preference, "my favorite of the bunch, my second favorite, my third favorite, my fourth favorite, my least favorite"

No additional comments about the cigars are allowed, as this could be construed as "hedging"

5. Only one post, and one time only. This cannot be completed in stages, and certainly not edited

6. Jimmy cannot enlist the help of anyone, and pictures are not allowed (at least until Wilkey has given his answers)

7. Once Jimmy makes his post, all answers are final and Wilkey will reply as to his success (or failure) in truly being Jimmy Cubano!

These rules are subject to change up to the point Wilkey receives the primer.

These rules are non-negotiable.

Jimmy, please PM me your address and I will send the test cigars out to you ASAP. This will take a few days to get my "test subjects" in order.

Let the fun begin!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh, this is certainly an interesting test. Has Jimmy agreed to it yet? Regardless of the outcome, I believe that Jimmy will do good. There are so many cigars made today that I don't know of any one that could name every brand and vitola in a blind taste test.

Josh, this is certainly an interesting test. Has Jimmy agreed to it yet? Regardless of the outcome, I believe that Jimmy will do good. There are so many cigars made today that I don't know of any one that could name every brand and vitola in a blind taste test.

All in good fun, and yes Jimmy has more than agreed :2thumbs:

Gentlemen, I find this challenge quit interesting and worthy of two cigar lovers such as

Jimmy and Shortsqeeze, as long as It stays FRIENDLY and that it puts to light two fine

Aficionados. Let the challenge start and may both challengers contibute to the endless

questions on NC vs CC in a fun moment of pure BOTL enjoyment.

If I may, I would like to participate by offering this great cigar to the winner of this challenge.

This cigar was custom rolled for me at the LCDH conde de Villanueva in Havana in 2007

and is the size and model of the Cohiba Behike without of course being one of THE Behikes.

But I can say that It's a great cigar. ANYWAY, that's for the winner to smoke and see If It's

great.

So, let's see what happens and good luck to both of you my friends.

post-3705-1238075148.jpg

I participated in one of these a number of years ago when I was not a very experienced smoker.

I was embarrased. :2thumbs: I think Jimmy will do well.

Please let us know when the reviews are ready for posting so I can get my popcorn ready. That is all I will need. Well I might need my popcorn and some pretzels. But that will be all I will need.

You know I am going to need some beverages to go with my popcorn and pretzels too.

But that is all I will need. B)

Except I will need some cigars too.

Now that is all I will need. . . :D

laficion,

I just posted on the other thread that this is a very generous gesture. It doesn't seem to me that this a winner/loser kind of experience, though.

At the same time, I'm wondering what we should expect of Jimmy as far as correctly identifying the origin of each cigar? Should he be able to get better than 50% right? Or what?

Also, I think it would be only fair to provide him with just puros , no cigars with filler that is part Nic, part Mexican, part Honduran.

I'm really looking forward to this.

Thanks again, guys.

If you cut the caps do it to my spec's I like only a hair shaved off.I don't use a cutter or Punch I use my finger nail please don't use your nail LOL.Also there are NC companies that use triple caps so you really can not go by that today I think it's all about taste.

laficion,

I just posted on the other thread that this is a very generous gesture. It doesn't seem to me that this a winner/loser kind of experience, though.

At the same time, I'm wondering what we should expect of Jimmy as far as correctly identifying the origin of each cigar? Should he be able to get better than 50% right? Or what?

Also, I think it would be only fair to provide him with just puros , no cigars with filler that is part Nic, part Mexican, part Honduran.

I'm really looking forward to this.

Thanks again, guys.

The spirit of this competition is really to show how your taste buds can be deceived. Jimmy has been very clear as to his preference for Cuban cigars and there is no substitute for him. My challenge, or "bet", is not only will he have a hard time identifying the Cuban cigar vs. the N/C in some cases, but may even choose a Non-Cuban over a Cuban as preference!

If you cut the caps do it to my spec's I like only a hair shaved off.I don't use a cutter or Punch I use my finger nail please don't use your nail LOL.Also there are NC companies that use triple caps so you really can not go by that today I think it's all about taste.

If I choose to cut, it will be a straight cut to eliminate any guesswork as to the manufacture. No nails, only very clean precision cutters!

Remember, I make the rules! :2thumbs:

Might I suggest that you send the cigars pre-cut? Hopefully, this hides whether the cigar has a triple cap or not.

It seems to me that most of the NC's that are known for being more "cubanesque" are now triple capping all of their cigars...with the exception of maybe Padron. This is a great idea and should be very interesting. I know I would fail miserably.

There's always something to be learned from an experience but "teaching a lesson" implies correction through punishment. I don't think that's the case here. I think Josh is looking to expand all of our minds, reveal the possibility that certain of our preconceptions might be unfounded and Jimmy was simply in the right place at the right time and of the right mind to participate. For example, I could not be the subject because I already have experienced that certain NC cigars are quite similar in delivery and style to certain Cuban cigars and I am not at all convinced of my ability to reliably differentiate.

This is all in good fun. Nothing more, as I see it.

Wilkey

Is this some underhanded/subtle method of teaching Jimmy a "lesson" under the guise of "fun" ? or am I just being overly cynical ?

Fun and a lesson perhaps, but not in a mean-spirited way. If it came off that way, my apologies as that was not the intent.

If Jimmy feels uncomfortable in doing this, we can shut it down immediately. We are all here to have fun and learn something and I wouldn't want to take that away from anyone.

There's always something to be learned from an experience but "teaching a lesson" implies correction through punishment. I don't think that's the case here. I think Josh is looking to expand all of our minds, reveal the possibility that certain of our preconceptions might be unfounded and Jimmy was simply in the right place at the right time and of the right mind to participate. For example, I could not be the subject because I already have experienced that certain NC cigars are quite similar in delivery and style to certain Cuban cigars and I am not at all convinced of my ability to reliably differentiate.

This is all in good fun. Nothing more, as I see it.

Wilkey

As usual, Wilkey said it better than I could have.

Is this some underhanded/subtle method of teaching Jimmy a "lesson" under the guise of "fun" ? or am I just being overly cynical ?

Are you implying that Jimmy might not be able to identify the cigars correctly? :)

laficion,

I agree with you also 100%, This has nothing to do with win or lose. My gesture is only

aimed at showing my appreciation for both and rewarding the person who can stand by

his statement and accept the challenge to prove his point. They are both RIGHT and WRONG

WE all know that, but,

There is no point in accepting a challenge unless you want to prove something with what you

affirm. I respect them both and I respect both their point of view but, If this comes to a

challenge, then one of them will have to prove it. That is the reason for my gesture.

I thank them both for the good time they are giving us. :)