"I Know My CC"

shortsqueeze

This thread has inspired me to come off the sidelines and post. :2thumbs: I think this is a great learning experience and I'm not sure how I would do. Actually, I prefer CCs, but given some of the NCs that have hit the shelves over the years, I might not be able to tell the difference. There are so many variables that can affect how a cigar tastes. Let's have fun with this!

After watching one of these take place last year with another seasoned cuban cigar smoker, the results basically parred with a coin flip on all of the areas that Josh has layed out.

I suspect that Jimmy, and a lot of others, will be surprised at the outcome. No offense to Jimmy, but I don't think that it is possible to "pass" a test like this unless you have the one in a billion palate.

I totally agree. I've seen a LOT of these tastings on other boards and it's always interesting to challenge ones preconceptions. Given the right cigars, one can be quite surprised.

I do truthfully like VSG / Padron 64/26 (i do think the 64/26 are not as good as years ago) but wont go out and buy them because I think they are over priced .

I'm with you there Jimmy. Why pay $xx.xx when there are more reasonably priced CCs out there that, depending on ones taste, might taste just as good if not better than the NC.

Have fun and, as usual, it about the experience.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been back on the forums since a couple of weeks ago.I see that a lot of new members are here just want to say hi. I also see a lot of old members have passed some I met several times and were a class

Welcome back Jimmy! 

Well shall see like a great War General I am thinking out his every move as I think this will put me in the right frame of mind.

Hell he might not even send any Cubans ?

What's to stop him from thinking that you're thinking that and in turn think to put in all cubans because you're thinking that he won't put any in, but also thinking that maybe he'll think you're thinking not to think about doing that thinking.

Do you think you get the gist of my thinking? :2thumbs:

I can't smoke NC's anymore, the ones I have smoked this last year I've tossed. I have a few bucks tied-up in these smokes too. As I smoke them they begin to annoy me, they take up precious time I could be smoking a better, cheaper, more humble cuban cigar. Jimmy, you'll do just fine. And if not, I have some cigars you might want. :2thumbs:.

This sort of reminds me of the home run derby.

Take a great baseball player and say, hit a bunch of home runs.

Sometimes they do and it's lots of fun to watch.

Sometimes they don't. But you know what, they're still a great ball player.

It's all about having fun and enjoying what you are doing.

With that said, Jimmy... Have fun, don't worry to much about it.

If you guess them all wrong, or right, it really doesn't validate your passion either way, only you can do that.

Looking forward to watching though.. haha

I still think Cubans are better if I pass or fail this test but I think I can tell the difference theirs a reason why most think Cubans are the best.

Either way, it's all in good fun. Just remember if you fail we'll rag you like "Wookie Boy" smithy......... :2thumbs:

Either way, it's all in good fun. Just remember if you fail we'll rag you like "Wookie Boy" smithy......... :mob:

I've done this sort of thing with beer and failed miserably ......... scotch I've been alot more accurate with. It's a noble attempt and great fun - keeps one's humility in check. Looking forward to the results and laughs! :lol:

I think shortsqueeze is going to try more than anything is to try and trick me with the closest so call NC blended cigars that taste close to Cubans.

Well shall see like a great War General I am thinking out his every move as I think this will put me in the right frame of mind.

I think you're going to drive yourself crazy trying to second guess what he will or will not send you.

Besides, how could he trick you? What he sends will either be Cubans or not. That's pretty straight forward it seems to me.

It's like the response Edison supposedly made when asked about all his failures at finding the perfect filament for the light bulb (I'm paraphrasing here). "I did not fail 2000 times in finding the perfect filament. I succeeded 2000 times in discovering ones that will not work."

Humility....haven't seen too much of that yet in this thread, but I think we will be seeing it in spades. Many people overestimate their abilities to discern the subjective taste of many things cigars included as we use many visual and sensory cues that guide us on a subconscious level. Ever heard of the "placebo" effect and observed its effects in even double blind taste tests? Looking forward to seeing how this one plays as I'm sure it will be fun and entertaining. :lol::mob:

Thought I might add this personal observation. I'm out on the porch writing a grant proposal today and since it's nice, I'm taking the opportunity to smoke a bit. The first cigar was a JLP Petit Cazadores. A powerful, brash little cracker. Liked it. Then I dug out an old favorite, an Ashton VSG Illusion. Gotta tell you, as I smoked it, I felt like it was just not hitting the spot. Put it down only a third in. Then I took out a Cohiba Sel Reserva Media Coronas, fired it up and all was good with the world again. I've long been a proponent of the "variety is the spice of life" viewpoint but today, even the VSG wasn't working for me. I might go dig out a Padron 64 or 26 after lunch. But if that doesn't light me up...I'm in serious trouble.

Wilkey

I had a similar experience yesterday. Except it was not for a grant that I was applying for, but rather a miracle for the Wildcats in their game against Louisville. Obviously, I didn't get what I wanted. Took off a bit early for work, met a friend for some sushi then off to the local shop for a smoke. I started off with a a very nicely aged RG Coronas Extra that was just perfect for an after lunch smoke. Game started and my buddy handed me a Rocky Patel Decada Reserve. Cigar started off very nicely, but faded horribly in the second half like a sprinter in a long distance race. Put it down with about a third left and after a 10 minute break, I lit up a Monte Especial 2 that Elliot had gifted me. Not sure the age, but it did have the older pre-glossy Monte band. Wow...what a wonderfully nutty smoke. Excellent throughout with intensifying flavors in the final third. Took a 10 minute break while watching the slaughter on TV come to a horrifying end. Had to do something to cheer me up, so I grabbed a Padron 1964 Torpedo. Woooo...what a smoke. Carried me well into the night, all the while whispering how everything was good with the world. Perfect cigar to end the day. I can't remember the last time I had 4 cigars in one day, or even 3, but the Padron was the perfect crescendo to a banner day of smoking. Cuban, non-Cuban...Smoke what you like - Like what you smoke.

I am excited to see the outcome of this. I have a fairly discerning palette when it comes to food, but since I am new to cigars, I know I couldn't do well in a challenge like this. However, what I am interested in finding out is whether it is possible to do well. I occasionally come across posts on other boards where people claim that the worst Cuban cigar is better than the best non Cuban cigar. While I have no doubt that that is a completely false statement, I wonder if the difference in taste is so substantial that a person can really tell the difference in a blind tasting. Anyone who claims to only like Cuban cigars should have no problem telling the difference nearly 100 percent of the time.

Brad

img0483w.jpg

img0480t.jpg

img0482alu.jpg

img0481utt.jpg

img0479i.jpg

I have all three cigars and their is alot of damage to the caps and cigar it self. I hope you dont smoke your cigars with the caps cut this low what a sin . :2thumbs:

Also i did a cold draw test on all three and to me it seems they are not Cuban cigars also 2 have very very loose draws and that is a NC trademark.

Will give my final thoughts after i smoke them..

Cigar #1 Smoked very enjoyable cigar if NC i would smoke more of these it did show some complexity (nuts,salt sweet tobacco) but i have to say not Cuban.

Cigar#2 very loose draw very flat did not like at all if Cuban the blender should be shot !! LOL Not a Cuban cigar.

Cigar #3 was Cuban nice flavor sweet tobacco peppers very balanced i think it was a ERD CS...

If right is stand by what i said all before if i am wrong i will have just a little more respect for some of the NC's out there and say their are some that do taste like Cubans.But are Cubans better overall yes i still think that what ever the outcome.Again i never said NC sucked they just dont have the flavor Cubans do but by this tast they might have it.

I smoked all cigarsin one hour it was alot of fun and i hope we all learn something from this little test.

Jimmy,

That was a fine review, I have a question, maybe I didn't understand right.

Did you smoke the three cigars on the same day or did you smoke them on different days.

And as the question above, which one did you enjoy best. :rolleyes:

I like #3 the best because it had a long after taste even after smoking it I could still taste the flavors long after on my palate.

#1 had some great flavors but there was very little if no finish on the palate.As great as the flavors were they flatten out in a short time .

Jimmy,

First of all, sorry for the banged up cigars. As you noticed in the package, I included a note explaining why ... to conceal origin based on the cap, I really had to cut away at the cap, much more than I would usually, and the wrapper started to unravel.

Second of all, congratulations! You correctly identified the Cuban, and it was an '07 Upmann Connie 1, not a Choix, but well done. No's 1 & 2 were indeed Non-Cubans. No. 1 Test Cigar was an Illusione "888" that was 48 RG and much longer, but I cut it down in attempt to deceive you :tantrum: Nice cigar isn't it? The line is very good, I prefer the "2" which is a Belicosos. But the wrapper I feared was a dead giveaway. Not too dark, but too damn smooth and good looking for a Cuban :P No. 2 Test Cigar was a Pepin Garcia "My Father" No. 1. I thought the wrapper looked more Cuban-esque but if you noticed, the RG was 52, and there are no 52 RG Habanos that short.

Again, well done Jimmy! I wish I had more time to pick out cigars and hit you with 5-7, but not to take anything away you did very well, 3/3! :rolleyes:

Josh